How do i deal with TOM hunger cravings ?

Options
I get so hungry when my TOM is near i just constantly crave chocolate and fizzy drinks for 3 days to the point where it could take me just over my calorie allowance i also get lazy and want to snooze during the afternoon. Just wondered if , and i'm sure alot of you women do , develop hunger cravngs during this time... how do you deal with it ?

Replies

• rawdefault
    Options
    distract myself by exercising, cleaning, drinking some green tea or water. the only think i crave is chocolate and cookies, and as cookies are a no-no for me, i indulge in some dark chocolate or make my own chocolate concoction (raw organic cacao mixed with honey and 100% natural peanut butter - this is actually quite healthy and full of nutrients if you use the right cacao and peanut butter)
    you could try finding healthier versions of what you crave - and i don't mean by subbing coke with diet coke. try to make your own soft drink using homemade lemonade with fizzy water. good luck!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    personally, I give in and eat like crap for a few days. Try to stay within calories but not deny myself a serving of anything I'm craving. If I deny it and eat something else, I am not satisfied and end up eating what I crave on TOP of what I already ate so it ends up being more than if I'd just ate the darn thing to begin with.

Also, on those days, stay within MAINTENANCE calories, not your MFP "lose weight" calories. This is the number BEFORE the 500 or 1000 was subtracted (depending if you chose 1 lb a week or 2)

For example, if you are set at 1300 and chose 1 lb a week, you are really 1800 with 500 subtracted from it to make you lose weight, and the 1800 is to stay the same weight. Just don't go over the higher number and you won't lose as much, but you won't gain either.
  • katevonr
    Options
    I crave meat during that time, which is apparently common. One trick is to replace the craving with a healthy alternative. For example, when the body craves red meat, it is telling you it needs iron, so I'll eat spinach or maybe a steak and spinach salad. If you are craving sweets, try applesauce. If your craving 100% demand chocolate, stick with dark chocolate over milk chocolate. Or if you are craving soda/something fizzy, replace with seltzer or diet tonic. (Careful, regular tonic water has a ton of sugar). Add a splash of lemon juice of some fresh fruit to the seltzer to add a little flavor.

I have also found that the best cure for the cravings is getting up and working out. It is much harder to get motivated during that time, but one I get running on the treadmill I instantly start to feel better and that good feeling will carry through most of the day.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Your body naturally burns more calories during the TOM too, just before it, so don't worry about eating a little extra.

http://caloriecount.about.com/women-burn-more-calories-period-q4262
  • FattieBeGone
    FattieBeGone Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I just joined up here but at TOM I try to exercise more cos it'll give me more calories to work with and it helps with TOM pains.
    Maybe drink diet fizzy drinks ,even though I know they're not a god thing to drink, but they might help the sugar craving without all the calories.
  • vcatmb44
    vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    lol TOM i havent heard that term i thought u were talkn bout your boyfriend or something...anyways i get the same wway and i try to get extra sleep drink lots of water and if im craving something i have to have i will have just a little taste to stop my over induldging, and if i do over induldge i make sure to work out double to burn the extra cals
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Your body naturally burns more calories during the TOM too, just before it, so don't worry about eating a little extra.

http://caloriecount.about.com/women-burn-more-calories-period-q4262

Wow i didn't know that :-)
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I crave meat during that time, which is apparently common. One trick is to replace the craving with a healthy alternative. For example, when the body craves red meat, it is telling you it needs iron,

Wonder what my bodys craving when it wants choccy so much then ... possibly the feel good endorphins it lets off
  • rawdefault
    Options
    Many people believe your body actually craves the magnesium and iron found in chocolate (I find this to be true), but the cocoa in chocolate bars is too low-quality and processed to actually contain decent amounts of these minerals (which explains why you keep wanting more!)
    That's why I use raw, organic cacao, because it's 100% natural and contains an amazing amount of minerals, antioxidents and plethoria of other health goodies!