lifting

Options
today starts the mark of my 9th week being consistant with my workouts but i have not lost anything but i have gained :( ok guys who lifts weights right now i feel that doing the strength machines at the gym is whats holding me back too because it weight more then fat should i focus on cardio for a while to see if the scale moves or continue to lift ?

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat, you are not gaining muscle. You are experiencing water retention.

Continue to lift.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    today starts the mark of my 9th week being consistant with my workouts but i have not lost anything but i have gained :( ok guys who lifts weights right now i feel that doing the strength machines at the gym is whats holding me back too because it weight more then fat should i focus on cardio for a while to see if the scale moves or continue to lift ?

Yes, continue to lift.
  • JennyJ2015
    JennyJ2015 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    but i should have lost at least 18 - 20 pound by now i don't get it at 9 weeks i should have seen some loss right how long did it take you guys to see loss like i'm getting a little impatient here :(
  • KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration, you need to find what works best for your body.

Are you carefully logging all of your food and exercise?

I would do am cardio on an empty stomach then lift in the pm.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food? Your food diary has a lot of generic entries, and a lot of "1 cup, 1 serving, 1 patty", etc. If you're not weighing your food, then you are eating more than you think you are eating. This is a very common problem, and often the cause of a seeming "plateau".
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Do this, take a week and see what exactly you're eating. Take that same hamburger patty and instead of entering 1 patty, enter the grams/ounces. Do this with all the food that would have normally eaten. I think you will see that you have actually been over your calories for weight loss. I did this and it was an eye opener.

And, 1 pound of muscle weighs the same as 1 pound of fat. It's just shaped differenly.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day? What are your Macros? Do you track EVERYTHING you eat?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    stopping lift is NEVER the answer.
    EVER.

EVER EVER EVER.

Odds are you are still eating to much.
    9 weeks you should have seen some sort of results. Get out your food scale- and use it- religiously. If you must- underestimate your workouts- and over estimate your food. Gives you a better factor of safety.

If you are feeling saucy- add in cardio (I almost ONLY do cardio when I'm cutting)- means I get to eat more at the end of the day.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Cardio just modifies your energy expenditure meaning your deficit is larger so you lose more weight [fat AND muscle]

Lifting will at least maintain the muscle you have or you might gain some lean body mass. Would you rather look better and weigh more? Or look worse and weigh less?
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    9 weeks and no weight loss? You're not eating at a deficit. Make sure your intake is accurate (weighing everything that goes into your mouth) for a month and if you're still not losing, reassess.
  • JennyJ2015
    Options
    I understand your frustration, you need to find what works best for your body.

Are you carefully logging all of your food and exercise?

I would do am cardio on an empty stomach then lift in the pm.

i would love to work out in the am but it wont fit into my schedule that way
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Stop using the machines and use the free weights. Barbells and dumbells with compound heavy lifting.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day? What are your Macros? Do you track EVERYTHING you eat?

The best thing to do is anwser the above questions. I was in the same position as you; I was working my *kitten* off and not losing a pound so I know the frustration! I worked with a trainer who came up with a meal plan for me. We siginificantly dropped my calories, adjusted my Macros and sure enough, I lost 7.5lbs in 4 weeks and Im still losing weekly. What works for others does not work for everyone. The "eat more to weigh less" concept was not working for me.....whole grains do not like me. Try to change things around see what works for you.

Edited to add that you should NOT give up lifting. I didn't change my workout routine at all. I lift 5 days a week with minimal cardio (20 minutes 3x a week). Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    If you believe you should have lost up to 20 lbs. and you haven't then that has more to do with your diet.... Are you weighing and measuring your food?, What is your caloric intake set at? What are your measurements... How much weight have you gained?? These are all questions that need answered first to determine why your not losing....
  • JennyJ2015
    Options
    i have a little bit of change my profile pic the one in the grey was last week the one n the black shirt was me when i started i didn't see a difference till i put the pic next to each other i have people all the time telling me i look like i've lost weight and id rather look better :)
  • JennyJ2015
    Options
    If you believe you should have lost up to 20 lbs. and you haven't then that has more to do with your diet.... Are you weighing and measuring your food?, What is your caloric intake set at? What are your measurements... How much weight have you gained?? These are all questions that need answered first to determine why your not losing....

i have a food scale at home but im working or not home most of the time
  • JennyJ2015
    Options

The best thing to do is anwser the above questions. I was in the same position as you; I was working my *kitten* off and not losing a pound so I know the frustration! I worked with a trainer who came up with a meal plan for me. We siginificantly dropped my calories, adjusted my Macros and sure enough, I lost 7.5lbs in 4 weeks and Im still losing weekly. What works for others does not work for everyone. The "eat more to weigh less" concept was not working for me.....whole grains do not like me. Try to change things around see what works for you.

Edited to add that you should NOT give up lifting. I didn't change my workout routine at all. I lift 5 days a week with minimal cardio (20 minutes 3x a week). Good luck :flowerforyou:

i go to the gym 4-5 days a week and do at least a hr of cardio and lift 3 times a week
  • JennyJ2015
    Options
    Stop using the machines and use the free weights. Barbells and dumbells with compound heavy lifting.

im nervous that i might not be able to do it right
  • JennyJ2015
    Options
    Cardio just modifies your energy expenditure meaning your deficit is larger so you lose more weight [fat AND muscle]

Lifting will at least maintain the muscle you have or you might gain some lean body mass. Would you rather look better and weigh more? Or look worse and weigh less?

i have a little bit of change my profile pic the one in the grey was last week the one n the black shirt was me when i started i didn't see a difference till i put the pic next to each other i have people all the time telling me i look like i've lost weight and id rather look better :)
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options

i have a food scale at home but im working or not home most of the time

So weigh the food you take to work with you. I'm not home much, either. Every night before I go to bed I weigh and measure everything I'm going to eat from the time I leave until the time I get home that evening. Before dinner, I do the same thing when I sit down to eat. Today, I have to eat dinner on my way home from work. Made a sandwich last night, logged it, and I will eat it.