lifting

Options

Replies

• JennyJ2015
    JennyJ2015 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you believe you should have lost up to 20 lbs. and you haven't then that has more to do with your diet.... Are you weighing and measuring your food?, What is your caloric intake set at? What are your measurements... How much weight have you gained?? These are all questions that need answered first to determine why your not losing....

i have a food scale at home but im working or not home most of the time

So weigh the food you take to work with you. I'm not home much, either. Every night before I go to bed I weigh and measure everything I'm going to eat from the time I leave until the time I get home that evening. Before dinner, I do the same thing when I sit down to eat. Today, I have to eat dinner on my way home from work. Made a sandwich last night, logged it, and I will eat it.

im going to do that i try to cut processed food out but money is always tight so sometimes i feel i have no choice :(
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day? What are your Macros? Do you track EVERYTHING you eat?

The best thing to do is anwser the above questions. I was in the same position as you; I was working my *kitten* off and not losing a pound so I know the frustration! I worked with a trainer who came up with a meal plan for me. We siginificantly dropped my calories, adjusted my Macros and sure enough, I lost 7.5lbs in 4 weeks and Im still losing weekly. What works for others does not work for everyone. The "eat more to weigh less" concept was not working for me.....whole grains do not like me. Try to change things around see what works for you.

Edited to add that you should NOT give up lifting. I didn't change my workout routine at all. I lift 5 days a week with minimal cardio (20 minutes 3x a week). Good luck :flowerforyou:

i go to the gym 4-5 days a week and do at least a hr of cardio and lift 3 times a week

The point of the post, if I'm not mistaken, is to try to alter your diet. You need to track, weigh, and measure appropriately to really know exactly how much you are eating. I go to the gym 6 days a week. I run 6 days a week and lift three of those days. The days where I do both I split it up so I have time for 45-60 minute lifting and then 3.5-5 mile run at lunch. But, I can eat all those calories back if I'm not careful and I'm not a pettite girl - I'm 180 and 5'10". You can not exercise a bad diet or too many calories.

Keep going, you will lose weight, but weigh/measure your food and watch your macros. My protein was (and sometimes still is) WAY too low for my activity level and goals. It's really hard for me to lose weight when my protein isn't where it should be!!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    If you believe you should have lost up to 20 lbs. and you haven't then that has more to do with your diet.... Are you weighing and measuring your food?, What is your caloric intake set at? What are your measurements... How much weight have you gained?? These are all questions that need answered first to determine why your not losing....

So weigh the food you take to work with you. I'm not home much, either. Every night before I go to bed I weigh and measure everything I'm going to eat from the time I leave until the time I get home that evening. Before dinner, I do the same thing when I sit down to eat. Today, I have to eat dinner on my way home from work. Made a sandwich last night, logged it, and I will eat it.

im going to do that i try to cut processed food out but money is always tight so sometimes i feel i have no choice :(

No shame in processed food, IMO. More sodium, but not everyone is sensitive to that. I'm not sure if you are. When I lost 100+ lbs I imagine 80% of my diet was processed foods. If you are eating prepackaged things more then I probably wouldn't weigh it either (though some may disagree - I refuse to open a new package of something that's not fresh fruit, veggies, cheese etc and weigh it like a Lean Cuisine or something). but if you are pulling a chicken breast out of a package, I would weigh it. Weigh what you can!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

hmmm I work and manage to use my scale for every meal...either prepacked lunch or lunch at home, same thing with lunch.

in 9 weeks yes you should have lost some weight. New exercise only has the water retention effect for about 4-6 weeks. Mind you with weight lifting I find I need at least 2 full rest days before I can weigh myself and get an accurate read on the scale.

But that being said...if you haven't lost you are eating more than you think. I see days that look partial to me...and some of your entries are just so wrong...you need to be careful with those...

5 chicken wings do not have 53 grams of protien...I friggen wish...and to top it off it's log as homemade...did you make them? was it a full wing? partial ie drumette? each portion of a wing typically has 100 calories and about 6 grams of protien.

So if they were full wings...it would have been 1000 calories...and maybe then 50grams of protien...but if they were partial wings 500 calories and 25 grams of protien...give or take.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    stopping lift is NEVER the answer.
    EVER.

EVER EVER EVER.

Odds are you are still eating to much.
    9 weeks you should have seen some sort of results. Get out your food scale- and use it- religiously. If you must- underestimate your workouts- and over estimate your food. Gives you a better factor of safety.

If you are feeling saucy- add in cardio (I almost ONLY do cardio when I'm cutting)- means I get to eat more at the end of the day.

Agreed. Don't stop lifting; fix your diet. After 9 weeks it's unlikely to be merely water retention from starting a lifting program, unless your deficit is very small. Either way, the weights aren't the problem.
    i go to the gym 4-5 days a week and do at least a hr of cardio and lift 3 times a week

Spend some of that effort on your diet. Focus on using your food scale religiously, at least until you get a good grasp on portion sizes (and even then it's best to use the scale). Weight loss happens in the kitchen; not at the gym. You can grind out cardio machines 4-5 days a week but that won't fix a bad diet, and may just serve to burn you out on the idea of weight loss. It's much easier to just eat less food (I'm not saying don't do cardio though).
  • joshkottemann
    joshkottemann Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can only agree with everybody else, the devil is in the details, measure your food more carefully. As for exercise, I have always alternated cardio one day, weights the next. As long as I have been disciplined with diet and exercise I have had wonderful success. I certainly wouldn't want you to drop the exercise, that won't help at all. Good Luck!
  • JennyJ2015
    Options
    Do you weigh your food? Your food diary has a lot of generic entries, and a lot of "1 cup, 1 serving, 1 patty", etc. If you're not weighing your food, then you are eating more than you think you are eating. This is a very common problem, and often the cause of a seeming "plateau".

im going to start using my food scale more regularly :)
  • JennyJ2015
    Options
    I can only agree with everybody else, the devil is in the details, measure your food more carefully. As for exercise, I have always alternated cardio one day, weights the next. As long as I have been disciplined with diet and exercise I have had wonderful success. I certainly wouldn't want you to drop the exercise, that won't help at all. Good Luck!

the cardio im going to continue on a daily and the lifting im going to cut back a little
  • JennyJ2015
    Options
    stopping lift is NEVER the answer.
    EVER.

EVER EVER EVER.

Odds are you are still eating to much.
    9 weeks you should have seen some sort of results. Get out your food scale- and use it- religiously. If you must- underestimate your workouts- and over estimate your food. Gives you a better factor of safety.

If you are feeling saucy- add in cardio (I almost ONLY do cardio when I'm cutting)- means I get to eat more at the end of the day.

Agreed. Don't stop lifting; fix your diet. After 9 weeks it's unlikely to be merely water retention from starting a lifting program, unless your deficit is very small. Either way, the weights aren't the problem.

Spend some of that effort on your diet. Focus on using your food scale religiously, at least until you get a good grasp on portion sizes (and even then it's best to use the scale). Weight loss happens in the kitchen; not at the gym. You can grind out cardio machines 4-5 days a week but that won't fix a bad diet, and may just serve to burn you out on the idea of weight loss. It's much easier to just eat less food (I'm not saying don't do cardio though).

im not going to stop the cardio my body is used to it now if i dont do it i dont feel like myself
  • JennyJ2015
    Options

thanks guys im definatley going to take another look at my diet :)
  • JennyJ2015
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day? What are your Macros? Do you track EVERYTHING you eat?

i have to push myself to get 1200 but that's without measuring the majority of my food i feel like i should start carrying my food scale and measuring cups everywhere lol and my macros are 50% carbs which i hate the idea of because i'm also diabetic so i cant tolerate that much with out my blood sugar going crazy 30% protein and 20% fat
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

i have to push myself to get 1200 but that's without measuring the majority of my food i feel like i should start carrying my food scale and measuring cups everywhere lol and my macros are 50% carbs which i hate the idea of because i'm also diabetic so i cant tolerate that much with out my blood sugar going crazy 30% protein and 20% fat

Why set your carb macro to a high percentage if that messes with your blood sugar ... ?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i'm going to go ahead and say that if the your having trouble losing weight, what work out your doing is NEVER really the issue.

You're always going to have to eat less then you burn. What you put in your mouth will always be the limiting reagent
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

highly recommend going hardcore with the scale and spoons.

my mother is a diabetic, and her doctor tells her not to exceed X grams of carbs per meal. maybe if you did more frequent, smaller meals and still be ok from a blood sugar perspective.
  • JennyJ2015
    Options

The best thing to do is anwser the above questions. I was in the same position as you; I was working my *kitten* off and not losing a pound so I know the frustration! I worked with a trainer who came up with a meal plan for me. We siginificantly dropped my calories, adjusted my Macros and sure enough, I lost 7.5lbs in 4 weeks and Im still losing weekly. What works for others does not work for everyone. The "eat more to weigh less" concept was not working for me.....whole grains do not like me. Try to change things around see what works for you.

Edited to add that you should NOT give up lifting. I didn't change my workout routine at all. I lift 5 days a week with minimal cardio (20 minutes 3x a week). Good luck :flowerforyou:

The point of the post, if I'm not mistaken, is to try to alter your diet. You need to track, weigh, and measure appropriately to really know exactly how much you are eating. I go to the gym 6 days a week. I run 6 days a week and lift three of those days. The days where I do both I split it up so I have time for 45-60 minute lifting and then 3.5-5 mile run at lunch. But, I can eat all those calories back if I'm not careful and I'm not a pettite girl - I'm 180 and 5'10". You can not exercise a bad diet or too many calories.

Keep going, you will lose weight, but weigh/measure your food and watch your macros. My protein was (and sometimes still is) WAY too low for my activity level and goals. It's really hard for me to lose weight when my protein isn't where it should be!!

that's the weight i would like to be i'm 5' 11
  • skyeny
    skyeny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    "Aunt Jemima - Buttermilk Complete Pancake Mix, 1/3 cup - three 4" pancakes = 150 cal"

"pita pit - turkey pita /no pita spinach black beans pickles tomatoes onions romaine jalepeno ranch on the side, 3 cups = 250 cal"

Maybe I'm wrong, but some of the food is a little underestimated, and it adds up... Also, you measure some food in cups...
    Weight lifting didn't stop weight loss for me, maybe only the first week, when I was holding water.
  • JennyJ2015
    Options

Why set your carb macro to a high percentage if that messes with your blood sugar ... ?

idk thats just the way mfp set it up idk how to change it
  • JennyJ2015
    Options
    "Aunt Jemima - Buttermilk Complete Pancake Mix, 1/3 cup - three 4" pancakes = 150 cal"

"pita pit - turkey pita /no pita spinach black beans pickles tomatoes onions romaine jalepeno ranch on the side, 3 cups = 250 cal"

Maybe I'm wrong, but some of the food is a little underestimated, and it adds up... Also, you measure some food in cups...
    Weight lifting didn't stop weight loss for me, maybe only the first week, when I was holding water.

i didnt eat the pita tho and i was on the website for the pita pit when i calculated it and i scanned the barcode for the pancakes
  • JennyJ2015
    Options

do you know how to change it i would like for my protein to be the highest one
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    DO NOT go by what the scale says. Also DO NOT EVER stop lifting, in fact lift more!! You said you noticed a difference when you put the 2 pictures next to eachother, that should be proof enough that what you are doing is working. If you need to track something track your measurements. I was never very overweight, maybe 15-20 lbs to lose. I was scale obsessed, and then I started tracking my measurements. I started lifting and have been for approximately 9 months now and I am down 2 pant sizes, approximately 15 inches combined, but the scale is up 5 lbs. My advice is throw the scale away! :flowerforyou: