Gained 7 pounds overnight?!

Options
So I weighed myself this morning and the scale was up to 136, when 2 days ago when I weighed myself I was 129. I am about to start my cycle in a week, sorry TMI. But I'm not sure if that has something to do with it or the fact that I drink a gallon of water a day and some of that is late at night. I'm not sure, I just need help! My muscles are also really sore from strength training. Not sure how this happened but I was so shocked!:sad:

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's water weight.

this, dont bother with weighing yourself again until after your period
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Take the backpack off your back....
  • Murph1908
    Murph1908 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Did you sleepwalk in the middle of the night and eat 24,500 calories? Is there a sheet cake or a side of beef missing from your fridge? If not, it's water. =)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    It's water. You'll retain water everytime you get your period.

I also retain water during ovulation.

So... unfortunately, you're gonna have to get used to it. It's part of your body's natural cycle.
  • aecopelin
    aecopelin Posts: 2
    Options
    It's water weight. Your body naturally retains more water the week before/of your menstrual cycle. I have gone up 10 lbs before and then magically its gone again when I'm finished (provided I don't go crazy eating chocolate during.) Just keep drinking your water and it will go back down.
  • AutumnK21
    AutumnK21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You should only weigh yourself once a week at the same time of day. I weigh in every Sunday morning right when i get out of bed. Other then that, you will make your self crazy watching the scale everyday!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's water. You'll retain water everytime you get your period.

I also retain water during ovulation.

So... unfortunately, you're gonna have to get used to it. It's part of your body's natural cycle.
    This. Get to know your body's cycles so you don't stress about it.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    I literally gain at least five pounds of water weight a few days before my cycle each month. Don't stress too much. Drink lot's of water and stay off the scale for a few days.
  • karamoran
    karamoran Posts: 4
    Options
    What a relief to read this post! Same thing happened to me this a.m. (but 4 lbs). I was shocked! But I'm a week out from my TOM.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Did you sleepwalk in the middle of the night and eat 24,500 calories? Is there a sheet cake or a side of beef missing from your fridge? If not, it's water. =)

:drinker: That made me lol. And who doesn't keep a sheet cake in their underwear drawer?
  • kemval74
    kemval74 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Hilarious!!!!

But I agree with everyone else in that it's just water weight
  • yourpalsoap
    yourpalsoap Posts: 88
    Options

yeh, you have to eat 3500 calories over maintenance to put on ONE pound of fat.... I don't think it's physically possible to put on 7lbs of fat in a night.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

yeh, you have to eat 3500 calories over maintenance to put on ONE pound of fat.... I don't think it's physically possible to put on 7lbs of fat in a night.

Is this a challenge??
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    It's water weight. Don't panic. Just continue drinking water, decaf tea, etc.

Also, check the foods you are eating for the sodium content. A spike in sodium intake or an overdose of caffeine can often lead to water retention.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    TOM plays a big part, but the new strength training is probably also contributing to the water weight. The muscles will store glycogen and water to help repair after strength training.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Might be pregnant. I've seen a show where a woman carries a baby that is actually a big rock. It could be a stone baby but in the early stages.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    So I weighed myself this morning and the scale was up to 136, when 2 days ago when I weighed myself I was 129. I am about to start my cycle in a week, sorry TMI. But I'm not sure if that has something to do with it or the fact that I drink a gallon of water a day and some of that is late at night. I'm not sure, I just need help! My muscles are also really sore from strength training. Not sure how this happened but I was so shocked!:sad:

Its just water, it means absolutely nothing towards your health progress or weight loss. Don't be too myopically focused on your scale. You shouldn't be bothered by completely normal weight fluctuations due to water retention. If that upsets you you should probably find a means of measuring progress that is not your scale.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You should only weigh yourself once a week at the same time of day. I weigh in every Sunday morning right when i get out of bed. Other then that, you will make your self crazy watching the scale everyday!
    Nothing wrong with weighing in daily as long as it doesn't mess with your head and you start making daily adjustments.

This! Weighing in daily actually really helps me get to know my body's rhythms and the correlations between what I eat, when I weigh in, how my cycle affects things and what kind of little progressions my body makes day by day. I know it makes some people crazy, but seeing the pattern in the little fluctuations is really helpful for me.