Am i showing signs of an eating disorder?

Options
I had gotten my gallbladder out on March 28th. At the time I weighed 194.8. I'm 5'6, so I'm a big girl. After surgery I couldn't eat for a few days I guess from the pain meds. Fast forward to now. I have been logging every bite since that day. It is a rare occasion that I go over 800 calories. I actually panic if I hit near 800 and feel the need to go burn 300 through exercise. Since then I have lost 25 pounds. Every time I step on the scale I am down a little. I am becoming completely obsessed with it.
My original goal weight was 165, that would have been 30 pounds lost. I keep changing it now. I still feel fat and gross and would like to get to 140.

I guess I'm just wondering if this had happened to anyone else or am I just really messed up?

Replies

• PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    It's great that you recognize that 800 calories a day is a dangerous and eating disordered diet. I highly recommend you take the next step and get help. If you have financial difficulties, OA (Overeaters Anonymous) helps with all types of disordered eating and the meetings are free. They are easy to find in your area on line. Best of luck!
  • oChristyo
    oChristyo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's great that you recognize that 800 calories a day is a dangerous and eating disordered diet. I highly recommend you take the next step and get help. If you have financial difficulties, OA (Overeaters Anonymous) helps with all types of disordered eating and the meetings are free. They are easy to find in your area on line. Best of luck!

Thank you for your reply. I truly don't know if this is a slippery slope or what is going on. I have been overweight for most of my life so this not eating enough is all new to me. It's scary.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you are obsessively eating only 800 calories or less a day, you already have disordered eating. I think it would benefit you to talk to a therapist or someone who can help you deal with your food issues.
  • brilliantcoe
    brilliantcoe Posts: 35 Member
    Options

I have had similar experience to you OP and found help with Overeaters Anonymous. In an effort to reach a "normal" size I have engaged in disordered eating behaviors, including under-eating, purging and compulsive exercise. This would inevitably lead me back to binging at some point.

https://www.oa.org

OA is for all types of eating disorders - Anorexia, Bulimia and Compulsive Overeating.
  • oChristyo
    Options

I have had similar experience to you OP and found help with Overeaters Anonymous. In an effort to reach a "normal" size I have engaged in disordered eating behaviors, including under-eating, purging and compulsive exercise. This would inevitably lead me back to binging at some point.

https://www.oa.org

OA is for all types of eating disorders - Anorexia, Bulimia and Compulsive Overeating.

I think I will reach out to them. Calories have become an obsessive thought for me constantly. I just finished adding my food to my diary to be sure I don't go over 800. It's taking over my life and I can't stand it.

ETA: thank you all very much!
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I think you already know the answer.

Yes, your current habits are unhealthy and could lead to an eating disorder if you don't already have one. Don't worry I have one too, but its under control. I'd seek medical advice. If anything they can provide you with tools to aid you in this journey the healthy way. Nobody should feel bad for eating almost 800 calories. I'm 5'3, 148 lbs and eat more than twice that and lose fine. You obviously care about yourself enough to not be in denial anymore, so dive in and get help while you can. Good luck, dahlin! :)
  • oChristyo
    Options
    Yeah, I think I do know the answer. I just really can't believe it. How does this happen to a fat chick?
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think I do know the answer. I just really can't believe it. How does this happen to a fat chick?

It can happen to anyone of any size. The disorder is in your mind, not your body. A friend of mine has had GREAT success with Overeaters Anonymous. Reach out to them and remember that you will get better if you take that first step. :happy: