should I be using those "earned" calories?

Options
MFP says that in order for me to lose 2 pounds a week, I should be eating 1,760 calories/day (at my current weight). If exercising vigorously daily, I'm "earning" several hundred calories. My initial thought was that if I don't eat those earned calories, my weight loss will be more rapid. I don't think I'm undernourishing myself - I'm still hitting that 1,760 mark.
Is that logical? Can it slow down my metabolism or anything like that? Someone on another thread in a different area mentioned something along these lines, so I thought I'd ask in this topic area.
I admit I'm not very well educated in how a lot of this works. I understand that I'm supposed to be reaching certain numbers (calories, grams of fat, protein, etc.), but I'm not very up to speed on what is actually going on in the body when you are or are not meeting these numbers.
I'm certainly curious to hear about other people's experiences in this regard, but I'd also like to understand some of the science about this too.
Thanks so much!
Ryan

Replies

• worldtravelista
    worldtravelista Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great question... great topic! I'm new to MFP as well, so I am curious to the answer as well.

Thanks for starting this thread.
  • msdebg
    msdebg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great question, I am wondering the same thing myself, interested in the answers :-)
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

Here's a link to a lot of threads that cover this issue.

The best answer to this question, IMHO, is contained in the thread "for those confused or questioning eating your exercise calories."

HTH.:flowerforyou:

p.s. the short answer is yes, at least some of them.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Your body burns actually quite a bit on it's own without exercise just to do it's everyday functions. That being said-you need a 500 cal deficit in your diet to lose 1 lb/week. So that is what they are doing for you is giving you that. Anything you work off during the week is extra that will get rid of excess lbs. I would stay at what they give you without the add on of what you worked out. You can eat up to what they give you and still lose, but you will get quicker results if you stay at the smaller number. You are not under nourishing yourself.

So if you eat 500 cals less per day you will be at a 3500 deficit for the week which equals a lb. Then if you burn off 3500 for the week-that is another lb. I am not saying eat 500 less, they have done this for you. If this at all makes sense.
  • palena87
    palena87 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The less you eat - the faster you loose your weight. It is easy. But the idea of MFP is loosing weight in a healthy way so your pounds will not come back. The less comfortable you feel - the more chances that you quit your challenge and gain your pounds back. So keep eating 1760 calories PLUS whatever you'll burn exercising.
  • samara_334
    samara_334 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Rachael, from what I understand the calories you earn can be eatin back. for example i have to eat 1240 caleries a day to lose weight. when i work out i earn calories. so if i do zumba for an hour and burn 500 calories then thats 500 calories i can eat back and still be at my 1240 mark to lose weight. or i quess u could look at it like eating 1740 calories but burning off 500 puts me at my calories for the day. some people also eat only half of their earned calories. so if u dont see the results you want from eating back all ur calories u have burned then just eat back half and see how that goes. hope this makes sence. I also want to add that intaking less than 1000 calories a day is unhealthy. if u eat 1000 calories but burn off 500 exercising then u need to eat 500 more calories to stay healthy and energized.
  • ralevin
    ralevin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

Here's a link to a lot of threads that cover this issue.

The best answer to this question, IMHO, is contained in the thread "for those confused or questioning eating your exercise calories."

HTH.:flowerforyou:

p.s. the short answer is yes, at least some of them.
    That IS a very good answer. Thanks :-)