How can I get more calories?

Options
I'm switching to maintenance and I just can't figure out how to get more calories. I'm very picky and most of the go to's (peanut butter, avocados, chia seeds, etc.) are a no go for me. I can normally get most of my calories in on the weekend, it's the weekdays I'm struggling with. Yesterday alone I had a 900 calorie deficit (normally it's lower than that, like 300-700). Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Replies

• bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you like fruit that's an easy, higher calorie food to add in. I eat 1 or 2 bananas per day and usually an apple as well. Today I added in 290 calories from the 2 bananas and apple I ate.

Looking at your diary though you seem like you could use more protein on the days you're under your calorie goal. Maybe somethings like tuna, greek yogurt or some nuts would help with that.
  • lindsaymarcin
    lindsaymarcin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    what about milk or fruit juice?
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I just switched back to real milk from almond milk but that's still not a huge increase. I do try to incorporate fruit in my day, maybe I will try to add a little more. I've tried my whole life to like yogurt but I just can't stand the texture. I wish I could eat it because it would be a great way to boost my protein. I've been trying to work on that too.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I just switched back to real milk from almond milk but that's still not a huge increase. I do try to incorporate fruit in my day, maybe I will try to add a little more. I've tried my whole life to like yogurt but I just can't stand the texture. I wish I could eat it because it would be a great way to boost my protein. I've been trying to work on that too.

Put a scoop of protein powder in your milk and ta-da! More calories and more protein! Also do you like ice cream? :wink:
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options

Put a scoop of protein powder in your milk and ta-da! More calories and more protein! Also do you like ice cream? :wink:

And add chocolate! Just for good measure...
  • coconutfox
    coconutfox Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Oil on EVERYTHING. Ok, maybe not everything...but I use it for flavour and it's an expensive flavour in calorie terms!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    saute or roast veggies and whatnot in olive oil. cook with butter and other oils. full fat salad dressings with salad. whole fat dairy products..milk, cheese, etc. eat nuts. dark chocolate for desert...or ice cream. beer/wine, etc.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    A couple of glasses of wine works wonders :drinker:

Apart from that then walnuts, olive oil, cheese a good old slice of bread and butter........
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

And add chocolate! Just for good measure...

QFT. I usually drizzle some nutella and peanut butter on my ice cream. True story.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    The other day you had strawberries for breakfast ...something like 50cals.
    Drink 2 cups of whole milk with it and you are now at 250 cals.
    Put the strawberries, milk and a scoop of protein mix in a blender, and now you are at 400 cals total.
    Maybe add in some Greek yogurt.
    Have a Balance bar as an afternoon snack, and there is another 200 cals.
    Eat a slice of deep dish pizza.
    Have a scoop of ice cream.
    Drink a Guinness beer (210 cals)
    Drink a big Margarita while eating some Mexican food, including the chips.
    Have a slice of pie.
    Stop eating anything that says "diet" or "low cal"
    Remember what it was like to eat.

This is why you are supposed to keep dropping your deficit as you get closer to target. It teaches you how to eat for maintenance.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    hmm

ice cream
    chocolate
    Peanut butter
    cheese popcorn
    snickers bar
    beer
    pizza

French fries with gravy
    Deep fried fish and chips

so many options.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    have a glass of milk with every meal.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Simple answer: eat more of your favorite foods!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Or slightly increase all of your portions.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    saute or roast veggies and whatnot in olive oil. cook with butter and other oils. full fat salad dressings with salad. whole fat dairy products..milk, cheese, etc. eat nuts. dark chocolate for desert...or ice cream. beer/wine, etc.

<3 this guy
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    hmm

ice cream
    chocolate
    Peanut butter
    cheese popcorn
    snickers bar
    beer
    pizza

French fries with gravy

so many options.

and this girl.

for realz

my peoples!!!! <opens sticky ice cream and beer covered arms>
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Would you be willing to take some of the extra calories I eat?
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I am trying not to lose weight so I eat more junk food, right? Well my stupid protein percentage goes down. I think I need to switch to eating protein by body weight not percentage of food. I tried to fill up on meat calories and couldn't eat it all!
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching maintenance.
    Presuming you want to continue eating healthy foods I would suggest increasing your calories through healthy fats gradually. These will satisfy you, and food will be more enjoyable.
    Suggestions are:
    Raw nuts or nut butters - any kind will do
    Full cream milk for cereals etc
    Mayonnaise - the real stuff!
    Olive based dressings
    Coconut milk/cream in curries/stews, or a little over fruit and nuts for breakfast
    Chorizo sausage - fried or in a salad
    Pesto
    Maintenance is another journey that can take some time to adjust to.
    Have fun!
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    hmm

ice cream
    chocolate
    Peanut butter
    cheese popcorn
    snickers bar
    beer
    pizza

French fries with gravy

so many options.

Mmmm you make me hungry. Except I'll need honey mustard with my fries.