Just a little taste, doesn't count, right?

Options
So, since joing mfp and recording EVERYTHING that I consume, I have seen how I've been sabotaging myself for a very long time. I (was) a big drinker of juices (and not necessarily healthy ones either, and now drink water) and I think I had convinced myself that those didn't really count (not sure why liquid calories didn't exist in my mind...lol...). Also, when I'm preparing food for meals, I taste this and that, and probably more than I really need to. I think I had convinced myself that unless it was an actual 'meal', it didn't really matter. I forced myself to be honest, and track everything.......kinda embarassing but when it's right there in your face, you gotta believe it!...lol...anyone else experiencing this?

Replies

• jchecks
    jchecks Posts: 133
    Options
    It really is amazing how much you dont count when you're not paying attention or have it in the forefront of your mind! I know for me...I LOVE to cook and I would always be tasting things!!!

Its really great to be aware of these things to get better control of them!
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    :smile: Amazing isn't it? I think everybody here has had that moment.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. Like for example today, I decided to give myself a little reward, so I ate like I ate before - its not HUGE eating, but some crackers, cheese, chocolate, a ham sandwich and stuff like that. Its not big quantities but when I put it in the calorie counter, just these "snacks" were my daily max intake! Horrible:D! So lesson learned... next time Ill try to think of some healthier reward, or just take a sandwich, but not chocolate, etc. We really have to be careful!
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    I log every single thing that goes in my mouth. Even gum. So if I don't want to log one single little tiny thing-I don't eat it. It makes it better on me for not going overboard in that sense.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Whenever I stop counting calories that's when the calories creep up. I began again with MFP and realized my snacks were adding up to my meals and my drinks (juices :sad:) are the culprit. Now I have to ask myself if I drink this cup of juice am I willing to burn off an extra 150-300 calories? Then I resort back to water or a low calorie gatorade which I actually like.
  • nwood71
    nwood71 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try working as a cook; where it's your job to taste things. These can help you out at home I use them at work. Instead of using the spoon end of the spoon to taste sauces and the like use the handle end or a straw (just dip it in. It doesn't work if you put your figer over the hole.) When you actually put all the "tastes" on a plate it can be astonishing what they amount to.
  • Branday
    Options
    I know how you feel! I lost 20 pounds last year before the holidays and have held almost steady since the holidays. I didn't record anything for 2 months thinking I knew in my head what I was doing and gained almost 5 pounds back! Lesson learned? I am the type of person that has to log everything down....from the water packets to add flavor to those 3 hersey kisses to all the meals. :wink:
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Last night I made a pasta dish for my husband with a sauce similar to alfredo sauce, bacon and mushrooms sauteed in the bacon grease. YUM! I had a little taste here, a little taste there. It was so good! But when I thought about how much I had eaten, it was almost 500 calories worth. Good thing I had some extra calories floating...but then I couldn't have what I had been craving and planning on all day.