Calories burned while weight lifting

Options
Hey Guys!!
Does anyone know how to calculate the number of calories burned while weight lifting?

Thanks
:)

Replies

• katevonr
    Options
    Search "weight training" or "strength training" in the exercise tracker. It's there. You just put in how long.
  • NicolaGoodyear
    Options
    when you add cardio,look for strength training-its in there 100 cals for 30 mins strength training hope this helps xxxx
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    You can't. There is no way to find out how many calories you actually burn. There is a whole process your body goes through to lift weights and it is an amazing process one that is too long to explain. Plus with lifting weights your body doesn't stop burning the calories when you are done. There is a continuous burn of cals. This is why strength training is a must when trying to lose weight.
  • janeblackbeard
    janeblackbeard Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    if you go to www.bodybuilding.com there is a good calculation tool. However you have to remember that it does all depend on the intensity and duration. I wish there was a bit more info on the fitnesspal for weight training it can be fairly generic because naturally you will burn more for your bigger muscle groups than for something like biceps
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Here is a list of MET levels of various exercises based on average calorie burns from lab testing. There are several entries on it for weight training. Pick whichever you are doing and multiply the MET level for that exercise by your weight in kilograms to get an estimate.

http://prevention.sph.sc.edu/tools/docs/documents_compendium.pdf
  • cozzy530
    Options
    I use my HRM while weight lifting and get a idea of how many calories I burn. You will continue to burn even though the HRM will slow down. I burn around 350 calories in a hour session of strenth training doing P90X
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I utilize a heart rate monitor while lifting. I turn it on after i'm doing stretching and leave it on during my workout, shutting it off when i stretch again.
  • dbredenberg
    Options
    Let's face it, this is all approximate. The important thing is to make a fair estimate that's consistent over time so that you know from your own experience that doing a certain amount of work a day and eating a certain amount of calories, you will lose weight.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    Here is a list of MET levels of various exercises based on average calorie burns from lab testing. There are several entries on it for weight training. Pick whichever you are doing and multiply the MET level for that exercise by your weight in kilograms to get an estimate.

http://prevention.sph.sc.edu/tools/docs/documents_compendium.pdf

Wow I love that! Thanks so much!