Losing weight too fast?

Options
This is my second time dieting, first one was a success although I didn't manage to keep the weight off. Took about a year to regain the 20 pounds I lost. This time I'm going for 30 pounds, down to 170. I'm about a week into it now and I've lost an average of a pound a day. I recall the same thing happening to me last time I started dieting. The first 10 pounds went really quick. Any idea what's going on? Certainly it isn't all fat that I'm losing that quickly.

Replies

• ralevin
    ralevin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the exact same thing right now - just started this past Sunday, and have already lost 9 pounds. If (when) this round of weight loss efforts is over, it will be my fourth successful significant weight loss (let's just hope I keep it off this time).
    Is it unhealthy? I can't say; I'm not a nutritionist/dr/etc.
    However, I do think it's pretty typical. My (admittedly uneducated) thought is that your body kind of goes into shock with the new calorie totals and exercise routines and everything else that is changing.
    My guess is that if you stick with the calorie totals determined by your weight loss goals, you'll level off to that rate (for me, it's 2 pounds per week) within a week or so.

Keep up the good work!
  • mama2lmcjd
    mama2lmcjd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Some is often excess fluid, but if you're suddenly restricting calories/exercising/etc. you're just shocking your body into waking up and burning off. That much that fast isn't usually sustainable, but pretty normal for a "jump start."
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Some is often excess fluid, but if you're suddenly restricting calories/exercising/etc. you're just shocking your body into waking up and burning off. That much that fast isn't usually sustainable, but pretty normal for a "jump start."

I agree....as long as your not eating dangerously low calories or pushing your body too hard, I would say that your body is just being jumpstarted, and your losing a lot of fluids along with fat. It should level out to about a pound a week within a couple weeks I would think.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I have lost 5 lbs. of fluid this week alone. I think it is water weight. Either way I am glad!:happy:
  • cozzy530
    Options
    it would really depend on the diet you are doing. A heavy carb restriction shows the fastest results but just cutting out all the hidden calories (soda, juices,chips) we take in does a lot. I would ride it out as long as you can but if it continues more than three weeks in a row it may be a sign of a under lying medical problem. In truth I am envious as I have to work out hard and diet to lose 1-2 lbs a week. Once you get all the weight off that you want set a goal of, once you gain 5-7lbs start working out again. It is much easier to lose 5-7 than 20-30. Good luck and keep us updated
  • bigsal911
    Options
    it would really depend on the diet you are doing. A heavy carb restriction shows the fastest results but just cutting out all the hidden calories (soda, juices,chips) we take in does a lot. I would ride it out as long as you can but if it continues more than three weeks in a row it may be a sign of a under lying medical problem. In truth I am envious as I have to work out hard and diet to lose 1-2 lbs a week. Once you get all the weight off that you want set a goal of, once you gain 5-7lbs start working out again. It is much easier to lose 5-7 than 20-30. Good luck and keep us updated

I'm actually going over my allowance on carbs for the day but just sticking to my calorie goals. Not doing any exercise because it tends to make me ridiculously hungry. Hopefully it will keep up. Thanks for the support!