A little help, please?

Options
Dear lovely people, you...

I stand between 5'3-5'4, and my long-time current weight wavers at 133-135. My bone structure is very small and I love being agile and free to move/dance/climb trees/etc. without any excess weight in the way. Thus, my ideal weight is 110-115 -- meaning, I'm starting with a goal of 120 and feeling out what's healthy from there. I have desired this change for the past few years, but have failed to ever be determined enough in my habits to reach it. However, in the process, I may have developed some unhealthy habits along the way.

To begin with: it is possible that I habitually undereat. I have essentially been on a 1200/1400-calorie-per-day lifestyle for years, though my weight has also remained the same throughout that time. I would like to eat more to increase my energy, but if I eat more, I gain. If I eat any less (I do not deliberately go under 1200, but when I am not tracking myself, it is likely I eat less), I get hungry, tired, and very depressed. My personal response to anyone else in this situation would be, "Eat more! Your body will adjust and start to use the energy rather than store it." Funny, isn't it, how when it's our own bodies we're more frightened to take our own advice? I find myself in need of other peoples' words to guide me this time. Any wisdom is welcome. :heart:

Food. I am very healthy, home-cooked, and non-processed in my food choices. My difficulty lies in scheduling my meals. If I eat three meals a day, I feel satiated for a while but tend to get hungry by the next meal--hungry enough for my emotions to be affected, and to go ahead and eat something before I planned to. This can lead to me consuming far more calories than I will use during the day. Also, if I eat larger meals, my stomach becomes bloated and remains so throughout the entire day. (Same if I make a habit of drinking enough water daily--help?) However, if I eat my food sparsely but consistently throughout the day (small snack-like meals every 2-4 hours), I am able to eat more often, but the small portions also leave me feeling like I've never truly satiated myself. Hence, I feel hungry all day, and though I am feeding myself, I am constantly empty-feeling, food-minded and uncomfortable. Surely there's some way to feel satiated without eating once every hour?

Exercise. I recently became a waitress, so my days are full of movement. However, this makes me unmotivated to exercise additionally on work days, or at all on the weekends. To be honest, it has boosted rather than depleted my energy, for which I am grateful. So it is not so much that I feel too tired to exercise, as it is that I dislike the thought of using the little time I have to myself for exercise. Waitressing alone has not resulted in any weight loss. Again, surely there is a balance that will keep me both rested and active without making my entire life revolve around exercise in some form?

In short, my perspective and my habits may not be as they should be, and I would love to start taking better care of myself. I would appreciate any insight, counsel and encouragement that might be given. Thanks you guys. ^.^

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Well imho being 110-115 would be very slim..it puts you on the low end of a healthy weight range.

Perhaps what you need to look at is a different measurment...like BF%...losing weight at this point will just give you a smaller version of what you see in the mirror.

My sister is your height, weights 125lbs and is lean and ripped...

As for eating 1200-1400 a day most likely it's more than that or you would be constantly losing weight. Maitenance for someone your size is about 1900 (give or take depending on age)
  • WindsorSkye
    Options
    Thanks Stef! Again, I'm more concerned about freedom of movement and how I feel, than a number. I'm sure my goals will change as I feel my way through. ^.^ Everyone has different body types that look or feel differently at the same number. So we'll see what happens.

Are you sure about that maintenance number? I'm young, but that seems rather high to me, considering my activity level. Perhaps I'm wrong. My thyroid also tends to function on the low end, so even though I'm not really a big eater, a caloric intake that might help someone else lose weight can still be a maintenance number for me.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1, sedentary, and my calculated maintenance is between 1400 and 1500, so I don't think your maintenance cals could be so low. Are you accurately estimating the number of cals you're eating?
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Any job that keeps you on your feet is going to burn a lot of calories and use a lot of energy. Food servers and bank tellers have very stressful jobs because people always want food and money quickly.

What type of exercise do you do?

Perhaps stretching before work and quickly during breaks may help reduce the stress. Yoga would probably help with the stress and the functionality you're seeking.

Diet wise, be sure your food measurements are accurate. It's easy to underestimate calories and it's easy to overeat when you're hungry.