What is your biggest obstacle? What's getting in your way?

Options
124»

Replies

• wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I would say that in the past, when I wasn't 100% committed like I am now, lots of things got in my way. The biggest obstacle was needing everything to be perfectly in place in order for me to eat well and exercise. This perfectionist thinking impacted other areas of my life as well. I don't think like that very much any more.

So if I can't exercise in the morning, I do it another time of day. If I have to eat out, I still log my calories and stay in check. If I don't have a lot of energy, I do a modified workout instead of bagging it all together.

There will always be excuses and it is REALLY hard with a job and family to put your health first. But for the first time in my life, I AM. And you know what? My new and improved priorities have been great for everyone. My husband and kids think I am awesome for doing things for me!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't like exercise in the first place, and then I have to do it when I'm already tired and stressed out.
  • mvedwards87
    mvedwards87 Posts: 19
    Options

If your coworkers are unhealthy and uninterested in getting healthy, then the thought of somebody in their office making great life changes, exercising, and adjusting their diet might make them feel inadequate. Rather than watch you succeed and then feel bad about themselves, they’d rather keep the status quo and drag you down with them.

^ Truer words have never been spoken.
  • lisa2job
    lisa2job Posts: 27
    Options
    mine seams to be falling back into bad habits after loosing 119 lbs i recently gained back 17 of it, So i am back here starting today to log in my food, and I think i took for granted how many calories and fat are in some foods/drinks like coffee and creamer, the coffee doesnt do it but darn it when you ad the creamer. I also find myself not excersiing like i use to, i hurt my back and have sharp pains that run down my leg if i stand to much or walk for more than 50 yards so the excersice thing has really come to a compelte stop untill they decide if i am gonna do surgery ................ any how not a pitty party here , I know what i have to do and so here I am again .
  • atjaden78
    atjaden78 Posts: 2
    Options
    I could list off a hundred things that get in my way...work, lack of sleep, kids, failing to plan...what it all boils down to is me choosing to stick to it or not. I made it thru this last weekend without completely blowing it so yay me! But then I was too tired to get up to go to the gym this morning and my pre-planned meals for the day put me over my allowed calories. Now I have to try and find time tonight to get to the gym.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    biggest problem i face is work. Often i have to work late and miss the gym. I also work with unsupportive people.Just today one of them brought me a chocolate shake from Hardees. Yea it was a nice gesture but would kill any diet. I don't mind splurging but when sticking to 1200 cal/day just cant put 700 into a drink.

Have you let your coworkers know that you're trying to lose weight? If so, are they just outright sabotaging you?

-Tex

KPP

Today one of my co-workers came to me and said she was bringing in fast food lunch tomorrow after her outside meeting and wanted to know if I wanted her to call me to see if I needed anything or, "would you rather I not because you've been counting calories?" I appreciated the offer to grab something if I wanted her to but I REALLY appreciated that she then acknowledged and reinforced the path I've been on. When I first started she would bring me a breakfast burrito once a week when she grabbed one on the way to work and I finally had to tell her that while that was nice it was making it hard for me to stick with my food plan and she stopped.

There are still occasional days when I come in and other people are sitting at their desks with yummy smelling burritos but yesterday I bought three new workout shirts a whole size smaller than I wore 11 weeks ago and that made me happy.
  • kbole101
    kbole101 Posts: 2
    Options
    Myself. It's hard sometimes when the whole family wants pizza for dinner three nights a week but I fight against it and I'm developing a stronger mindset. It's getting easier to just say no and pick up a carrot instead of a potato chip!
  • lorrennon
    lorrennon Posts: 43
    Options
    Well I am new to this site....and I have not tried to lose weight for at least 5 years now. I am the heaviest I have ever been and I am now suffering physically for it. I recently separated from my husband so now my 11 year old son and myself live in a small apartment on the third floor. Not really exercise friendly - would be a bit rude to workout on the ceiling of my neighbor. I do walk up to the 3rd floor a few times a day and laundry is actually even one flight more added to the 3 flights. I am not looking for pity, I am looking for ways to buy and prepare food on a budget, my son is really really picky and it seems pasta and other carbs are his main diet these days. I can't really afford to buy "diet food" for me and meals for him as well. My joints really hurt (I am sure due to the extra weight) and walking on a tread mill does not seem to be doing anything for me. I do belong to Planet Fitness but I have no idea what type of exercise to do without the pain. (I know muscle pain is part of the game I mean joint and back pain) Any ideas on any of this would be appreciated.

I have 4 pinched nerves in my back so I understand pain. I've even had surgery with little success. I started at PF too. I found the best exercise to start with is the elliptical as it offers a good cardio without any jolting. The good news is that as you lose weight the pain does subside. I rarely use my cane now. and hope to be rid of it in another 40 pounds. You can do the weights too just start out low and slow. lifting weights fast does little to help where you;ll feel the burn if you go real slow on the lifts. Eventually you will come up with something that works best for you but this makes a good start.
  • ellipsisdream
    ellipsisdream Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Two things for me. Believing my own excuses.
    And leftover tendencies to binge from bulimia for so many years. (I am mostly recovered)
  • fittoday14
    fittoday14 Posts: 128
    Options

If your coworkers are unhealthy and uninterested in getting healthy, then the thought of somebody in their office making great life changes, exercising, and adjusting their diet might make them feel inadequate. Rather than watch you succeed and then feel bad about themselves, they’d rather keep the status quo and drag you down with them.

Very true! One one of my co workers always manages to get another one down (they're both secretaries). The negative one was so influential that she got the other co worker who was on MFP to re-gain all the weight she lost (25 lbs). Unfortunately, my influence wasn't enough to get her to stay on the "right path". Both of these women are now 50 years old, over 240lbs each, and have health issues.
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My depression is probably my biggest obstacle. Its hard to get up and do anything when you're trying to find a reason to live. Right now I'm in a positive state which is why I'm here but I'm scared of the bad days when everything turns grey. Plus on top of that I'm an emotional eater and will eat sweets when I know I'm about to fall into a negative mood because I'm worried I won't come out of the negativity eventually drowning in the depression.
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Very true! One one of my co workers always manages to get another one down (they're both secretaries). The negative one was so influential that she got the other co worker who was on MFP to re-gain all the weight she lost (25 lbs). Unfortunately, my influence wasn't enough to get her to stay on the "right path". Both of these women are now 50 years old, over 240lbs each, and have health issues.

^Ditto. Coworker was cleaning out her cubby and "found" some Hershey bars. Put on on each of our desks as a friendly gesture. Meanwhile all I've been doing is making sure I eat right, workout and stay true to my course (and of course making sure everyone knew I was on this path). I passed that Hershey bar to another coworker who isn't afraid to treat his child with a candy bar. I didn't even smell it, which would have meant I would have wanted to unwrap it.
  • Hollywoodm55
    Hollywoodm55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Myself.

Ditto
  • newtothishelp
    newtothishelp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    What WAS getting in my way? What WAS my biggest obstacle: EXCUSES.

I had too many of them.....

No more :smile:
  • Kurby628
    Kurby628 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If I had a magic wand, I would wave it at the kitchen, and a nutritionist/chef would appear who would prep all my meals for the week, and keep the fridge/pantry stocked with nutritious foods.
  • Nightstar76
    Nightstar76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When I'm bored I like to eat and what I like to eat is just bad for you. Also stress when stress overtakes me like with family issues I just want to eat cakes and sweet things. So I guess my emotional eating is my obstacle.