Gloves used in Body Combat

Forgive a probably daft question - but what do you call or where do you get the gloves I see other people wearing in Body Combat classes? I am pressuming they are weighted gloves but whenever I search for 'weight gloves' or similar I just get results for regular gloves used to lift weights. Plus what is a good weight for them to be to make class harder, but not kill me.

edit. PS I am in the UK so UK sites to buy from = ideal.

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Never seen people wearing them.
    Normal boxing gloves do weigh a bit, you also get 'bag gloves' that weigh less.
    Then you can get wrist weighs.

Or, you could try imrpoving your google search; this does bring up some appropriate results...
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=weighted+exercise+gloves
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,566 Member
    http://www.bushido.ca/gloves.html

you should be able to buy these types of gloves and handwraps pretty much anywhere that you would buy a heavy bag or similar kick boxing gear
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Thanks all. I guess I had misunderstood what they are actually for which is why I couldn't find them!
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Sway - the Body Combat glove are used to protect the hand.. but - you can buy weighted fitness gloves. In fact, a 1lb pair came with the Wii Fit bundle we bought a few years ago. As to how much weight you can/should use, I personally wouldn't go more than 2-3 lbs. I've used the 1 lb ones, and even they provide a noticable difference.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Please note that weighted gloves are NOT recommended by the creators of BodyCombat (Les Mills). For more intensity, jump higher, punch further, retract quicker, kick harder, perfect your form, but please try to avoid this potentially unsafe addition. You could injure your shoulders, etc. I would rather you use gloves that aren't weighted. These are more just to "look the part" and get in the zone and be "one tribe" while doing the class, as against adding intensity.

http://www.lesmills.com/Community/forums/thread/49181.aspx
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Try searching for "mma gloves." That is what most people that wear gloves in combat at my gym wear.
  • caronmmitchell
    caronmmitchell Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you for this - people in my class keep insisting on wearing weighted gloves and from what I knew it seemed like a really bad idea. Though I'd add that handwraps are a great option, rather than MMA gloves. Not only to they give a little wrist support (I broke a wrist a couple years ago and can use all the support I can get), they are easily machine washed when they get stinky. There are tons of instructions online for how to put them on.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    punch further
    Sounds like a good way to damage your shoulders too ;).

Punching with weights is quite standard for boxing training.

A heavier fighter could well fight with 22oz sparring gloves in training - so over half a kg.
  • These gloves are called grappling gloves or MMA Gloves there not heavy and are light weight all the instructors in my gym wear them and there available in all sports shops like sports direct and even eBay prices start at £6.00 here in the UK and are safe to use straps are also available good if you have had a wrist injury. MMA gloves used for training have padding on it it's only foam and I don't notice any extra weight it just adds to the look some people want to dress like a fighter with the MMA Shorts gloves etc