1 to 1.5 pound a week successes?

Options
Hi!

I had my MFP set to be losing 2 pounds a week, and even though I lost 22 pounds in 2 months, I was really...REALLY cranky. So i recently changed it to be losing 1.5 a week instead, and my mood and body aches are starting to improve.

I know its going to take a long time. Honestly, this is the first time i have stuck with a change like this, which is incredibly different than extreme dieting that I have done in the past that loses tons of weight fast (40 to 50 pounds in 2 months).

I actually feel like i might be able to do it this way, but there is a part of me that is very scared and paranoid that a year from now, I'll be the same weight, even if i stuck to it 100%. Which I know isn't true..the only way that will happen is if I do nothing...and I am doing something...

Crazy, huh? Negative self talk is awful.

I have been really slacking on exercise since i hurt my foot and had a fibro flare. I need to get back to the gym. I'm hoping others have stuck with it, and succeeding in meeting their goals with losing a pound or so a week, and will share their experiences with me to give me some hope.

Replies

• picklesroofus
    picklesroofus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Numbers and math do not lie.

I have lost 12 in 110 days. But I am eating like I can do forever so I know by end of the year it will be 30 lbs... and I know I can stick with this as it is not too depriving or restrictive and I have traveled, partied, and gone through all my emotions while on my current plan and it still sticks.

Numbers do not lie. Don't be afraid and have faith!
  • bethanycopley1980
    bethanycopley1980 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thats the attitude I've been trying to adopt :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted. I've been set to lose 1.5 lb per week since I joined last March. I recently switched to 1 lb per week since I'm within roughly 20 lb of my goal and I find it so much easier to meet my daily calorie goal.

Most of the time it was really easy when set to 1.5 but the closer I got to goal, those calories were getting pretty scarce and I found it harder. I have only been set to 1 lb this week so I have no idea how it will go. I'm down about 0.8 lb from last week though...so far, so good.
  • bethanycopley1980
    Options
    Congratulations! I was wondering if I might have to do that, too, actually.
  • bethanycopley1980
    Options
    bumped
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You set it depending on how much you have to lose. I think it's like this?:

More than 75: 2 pounds per week
    40-75: 1.5 pounds per week (I'm currently there)
    10-40: 1 pound per week
    Less than 10: 0.5 per week

You will lose weight because you are still creating a calorie deficit. I'm actually losing pretty close to what I'm supposed to be losing (always between 5-6 pounds per month) and I feel awesome. Also make sure you eat back any exercise calories.

Not only will you feel less hungry, but you'll also be more likely to preserve more muscle along the way because when you lose weight you not only lose fat, but also muscle, and aggressive deficits lead to losing lean mass.

I'm sure you'll be successful, and remember that a sustainable diet = sustainable weight loss, it will be easier for you to continue losing weight until you reach your goal.

Since I switched to 1.5 I think I've lost about 18 pounds since the beginning of February. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • swsays
    swsays Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have lost right about 30 pounds in the last 30-31 weeks. It seems slow but when I look back I like the gradual but steady progress! I think I'm set for 1.5/week but figure if I don't quite make my calorie goal, I'm still in the 1.0/week range and it has really played out that way for me. Slow and steady! Keep up the good work!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I'm set for 1.5 lbs a week and since mid November have lost 37 lbs. It hasn't been a weekly loss, I went about a month losing nothing, but on average it's been 1.3 lbs. No complaints, slow and steady.
  • newfie026
    newfie026 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I lost 48 pounds in 13 months. If you calculate, that comes to less than a pound a week. Some weeks I would lose nothing then I would lose two pounds. I've only lost 13 pounds since January. I am so happy with that. I think I'll be able to live like this. I love what I'm eating, I feel great and when I splurge once in a while, I don't beat myself up about it. I am not on a diet. I am just being careful..
  • bethanycopley1980
    Options
    Congratulations to you guys who have stuck it out like that! Seriously impressive!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!