I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I didn't know how to do the cable crunches, so I used google.

There are images of people doing them facing the weights and facing away from the weights..

Does it make a difference which way you do them?
    When I did them I always faced the cable machine. Like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fbujeH3F0E

Thanks. They are harder facing the machine. So I will go with that one as well. :)
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    In theory the principles remain the same. Eat in a deficit and the weight will come off. When you are lean going to very lean lots of things make it more difficult. You typical have some kind of slowdown to your metabolism causing you to need to eat a little less then the math would suggest is needed. Water retention becomes wicked as well. You may go 3 or 4 weeks with no weight on the scale coming off then BOOM 3 lbs overnight. Training is harder. You have to fight as hard as you can in the gym simply to maintain strength. It's daunting but ultimately worth it. The biggest advice I can give is to STAY ACTIVE. I'm not talking cardio either, I'm talking general physical activity. One of the things the body can do when it is attempting to preserve the last bits of fat is to lower your NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis). This is the activity you do throughout the day. Your body can unconsciously make you want to just be a slug. People find themselves going to the gym to train and then sitting the rest of the day. This will greatly reduce your total calories burned. If you find this happening to you, fight it. Get up, do stuff, be active. I think changes in NEAT is why people think starvation mode is real (which it is not). It also accounts for what I said earlier about needing to eat a little less then the math would suggest is needed.

That's a good bit of information and sounds very much like what I'm dealing with - though I wouldn't consider myself 'very lean' I've been having a really hard time trying to progress any further with my weights and on some of them I've backslid a LOT. I can relate to that sluggy feeling for sure.

I'm trying to do another cut phase after sitting at practically maintenance all winter (I've lost about 5 lbs since December 2013) but lately I've been really struggling to do anything, I just feel wiped all the time. I started doing some TRX training about 5 weeks ago twice a week to try something different but other than that it's the same old same old routine.

I was thinking about trying out the ice cream fitness 5x5 on my non-TRX days. I'm frustrated with my inability to keep adding weights with what I WAS doing. Do you think it would help to try a slightly different routine?
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Just another person that wanted to say -- GREAT job with your progress. You look fantastic! And thanks for taking the time to give all of this good information. I don't have any questions in particular, but I've benefited from reading some of the other Q&As. :)
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What are the changes you made once you had to drop that last bit of jiggle? to your nutrition and exercise? What made the difference?
    In theory the principles remain the same. Eat in a deficit and the weight will come off. When you are lean going to very lean lots of things make it more difficult. You typical have some kind of slowdown to your metabolism causing you to need to eat a little less then the math would suggest is needed. Water retention becomes wicked as well. You may go 3 or 4 weeks with no weight on the scale coming off then BOOM 3 lbs overnight. Training is harder. You have to fight as hard as you can in the gym simply to maintain strength. It's daunting but ultimately worth it. The biggest advice I can give is to STAY ACTIVE. I'm not talking cardio either, I'm talking general physical activity. One of the things the body can do when it is attempting to preserve the last bits of fat is to lower your NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis). This is the activity you do throughout the day. Your body can unconsciously make you want to just be a slug. People find themselves going to the gym to train and then sitting the rest of the day. This will greatly reduce your total calories burned. If you find this happening to you, fight it. Get up, do stuff, be active. I think changes in NEAT is why people think starvation mode is real (which it is not). It also accounts for what I said earlier about needing to eat a little less then the math would suggest is needed.

You're right it wouldn't get sticky but it should and then you also know it would turn into 20 pages of people debating on how the are snowflakes and it doesn't apply to them. You could try it and see how it goes, should be interesting.

I think the blog approach would be a great idea though. It could help so many people.
    I think I'll post it and then blog it for later reference. Hopefully it doesn't become a sh*tstorm of debate! lol
    I didn't know how to do the cable crunches, so I used google.

There are images of people doing them facing the weights and facing away from the weights..

Does it make a difference which way you do them?
    When I did them I always faced the cable machine. Like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fbujeH3F0E

Thanks

I know exactly what you mean about the scale/stalls/and energy fluctuations Are you saying to drop calories further i am already eating at a deficit ?

I know my nutrion needs to be tweaked! Any guidance would be appreciated
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    You look great and I love that you are doing this. So my question is if I don't eat the 1200 calories MFP as alotted me will it affect my weight loss negatively?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    That's a good bit of information and sounds very much like what I'm dealing with - though I wouldn't consider myself 'very lean' I've been having a really hard time trying to progress any further with my weights and on some of them I've backslid a LOT. I can relate to that sluggy feeling for sure.

I'm trying to do another cut phase after sitting at practically maintenance all winter (I've lost about 5 lbs since December 2013) but lately I've been really struggling to do anything, I just feel wiped all the time. I started doing some TRX training about 5 weeks ago twice a week to try something different but other than that it's the same old same old routine.

I was thinking about trying out the ice cream fitness 5x5 on my non-TRX days. I'm frustrated with my inability to keep adding weights with what I WAS doing. Do you think it would help to try a slightly different routine?
    I wouldn't do both ICF 5x5 and trx training. The whole idea of a total body 5x5 is that it is all the strength training you need. The rest of your days should be devoted to either cardio or recovery. Any time someone does a 5x5 and then something else strength based, I feel like it's too much.

Thanks

I know exactly what you mean about the scale/stalls/and energy fluctuations Are you saying to drop calories further i am already eating at a deficit ?

I know my nutrion needs to be tweaked! Any guidance would be appreciated
    If you stall for 3-4 weeks then you are not in a deficit and 1 of 2 things needs to change. Either reduce calories, or increase the accuracy of your calorie counting. I feel like most people should start with the later.
    You look great and I love that you are doing this. So my question is if I don't eat the 1200 calories MFP as alotted me will it affect my weight loss negatively?
    Not at first, you will lose weight quite rapidly, BUT and this is a big but, you will ultimately be setting yourself up for failure. 1200 calories is too low for most people to begin with, less then 1200 is even worse. You will not recover from workouts right, you will feel like garbage, you will increase the chances of losing muscle, you will be more prone to binge, you will be much more likely to burn out and give up. What is your height and weight why do you feel like 1200 calories is too much?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in to say it's appreciated that your staying away from the broscience and being realistic. Keep up the good work. Too often the forums are muddled with personal agendas.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Vismal. I just thought of another one..

I'm starting a cut phase after about 8 months of very nearly maintenance, I was eating around 2000 - 2400 cals / day (net 1400). I'd like to start cutting again and have decided that 1200 NET should be good. I was wondering about the Macros.. I 'heard' that carbs are not good for cutting? I would think that a 'cut' is just weight loss no? Do I need to do something special with my macros? I normally shoot for 200g carbs/ 60 fat & 110 protein. I had a trainer at the gym suggest that I look into some 21 day cleanse / sugar fast but it seemed a little odd to me. Thoughts?
  • tmj4477
    tmj4477 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Okay first congrats on your health progress that is amazing! I have a question I have been walking 5 miles a day playing tennis and swimming twice a week, and trying to do T25 in the mornings or evenings. Yesterday I felt so tired and fatigued that I almost didn't make my swim class till I sat in the whirpool and felt tons better. My question for you is how do I get my body to recover better, I really need to lost this weight but I am so fatigued.

Lastly, can I add you as a friend? Then you can view my diary and see what I am doing wrong.
  • liamrose
    liamrose Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ericalyn73
    ericalyn73 Posts: 79
    Options
    Man you rock! Amazing transformation and spot on knowledge to back it up. It's a true game changer isn't it? Keep up the good work. Love the You Tube Vids and FB page. Rock on!
  • Brynich
    Brynich Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey! Firstly, I'd just like to say congrats on the transformation, it is simply amazing. I have three questions:

1) I noticed that many times in this thread you wish that you had started weightlifting from the beginning, but I was wondering...Why? What difference do you believe it would have made if you started from the beginning, or how do you believe you would be different now if you had started weightlifting earlier?

2) I actually want to start lifting myself, however I have no weights at home, and there are no gyms nearby. The only exercise equipment I have at home is a treadmill. Do you think body-weight exercises are a good/effective? What about for a beginner (I have never done any sort of weight lifting program ever before)? What would you recommend?

3) You said you wish you had started weightlifting from the beginning, but how would this work? If you can't really build muscle and lose weight at the same time, then can't you technically say that that time when you lost 60 pounds before exercising was your cutting phase, which would thereafter have been followed by your bulking phase?

Thanks for the help, advice and inspiration!
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know what your feelings are on carbs. My nutritionist has me on a 200 grams of carb a day diet and so far I have lost almost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. She told me that carbs are irrelevant in my journey for weight loss and that the only think that matters is a caloric deficit. She actually went as far as to say that carbs are a good fuel source for the body.

Would you tend to agree or disagree?

Also, since we started at roughly the same weight and we look to be about the same age...Do you remember how long it took you to shed your first 30 pounds? I'm down 10 but have now slowed because obviously much of that was water weight. I would just like a realistic time frame of how long it will take to get that first 30 pounds off because that will take me in to a new size clothing and I want to be ready financially to go out and buy some new things =)
    Your nutritionist is correct. No matter how many carbs you eat, if you burn more calories in a day then you consume you will lose weight. Carbs are the preferred energy source for the body. I lost the first 30 lbs in probably 2 months. 15 lbs a months sound like a lot but so much of it was water weight when I first got started.

Agreed. The anti-carb thing has always been monumentally stupid.
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Wow, OP. Your entire thread is full of good information. You clearly thought about the way you wanted to lose weight, put your health first, and set to achieve your goals without relying on gimmicks or quick fixes.

I don't really have a question, but wanted to just come in here and say that I am thoroughly impressed.
  • sdps745
    sdps745 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    WOW!! What a TOTALLY amazing transformation! You can't even tell you were overweight!! You look like you've always been that way! GREAT GOING!!! ALSO, ALL of the GREAT & WONDERFUL & SO informative information here!! This REALLY IS one of the best posts ever!!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Vismal. I just thought of another one..

I'm starting a cut phase after about 8 months of very nearly maintenance, I was eating around 2000 - 2400 cals / day (net 1400). I'd like to start cutting again and have decided that 1200 NET should be good. I was wondering about the Macros.. I 'heard' that carbs are not good for cutting? I would think that a 'cut' is just weight loss no? Do I need to do something special with my macros? I normally shoot for 200g carbs/ 60 fat & 110 protein. I had a trainer at the gym suggest that I look into some 21 day cleanse / sugar fast but it seemed a little odd to me. Thoughts?
    The trainer at your gym is wrong. A sugar fast won't accomplish anything other then having you not eat sugar for a month. Last I checked fruit had sugar in it. I see no good reason to not eat fruit. Even refined sugar will not halt weight loss. It's all about the calories. Carbs are fine on a cut so long as you still get in adequate protein and fat.

As far as macros go, this is how I calculate them: http://youtu.be/7cc18wLJW3k
    Okay first congrats on your health progress that is amazing! I have a question I have been walking 5 miles a day playing tennis and swimming twice a week, and trying to do T25 in the mornings or evenings. Yesterday I felt so tired and fatigued that I almost didn't make my swim class till I sat in the whirpool and felt tons better. My question for you is how do I get my body to recover better, I really need to lost this weight but I am so fatigued.

Lastly, can I add you as a friend? Then you can view my diary and see what I am doing wrong.
    It looks like you are doing quite a bit of activity. There comes a point when you simply will get tired from doing all that. I know if I walked 5 miles every day, then played tennis for 2 hours every day, then did lifting and swimming I'd be fatigued too! The best way to recover from physical activity is to rest. I'd maybe cut back a bit and have some more time dedicated to recovery.
    Hey! Firstly, I'd just like to say congrats on the transformation, it is simply amazing. I have three questions:

1) I noticed that many times in this thread you wish that you had started weightlifting from the beginning, but I was wondering...Why? What difference do you believe it would have made if you started from the beginning, or how do you believe you would be different now if you had started weightlifting earlier?

2) I actually want to start lifting myself, however I have no weights at home, and there are no gyms nearby. The only exercise equipment I have at home is a treadmill. Do you think body-weight exercises are a good/effective? What about for a beginner (I have never done any sort of weight lifting program ever before)? What would you recommend?

3) You said you wish you had started weightlifting from the beginning, but how would this work? If you can't really build muscle and lose weight at the same time, then can't you technically say that that time when you lost 60 pounds before exercising was your cutting phase, which would thereafter have been followed by your bulking phase?

Thanks for the help, advice and inspiration!
    To answer both you 1st and last question, I wish I would have started lifting for a couple reasons. First off, I would likely have maintained more overall muscle mass at the completion of my initial weight loss. While you are correct in that you do not build lean mass while losing fat, you can however preserve it. Also I could have spent those early days building more strength and perfecting form.

To answer your other question, if you do not have access to any weights or a gym a body weight program would okay. While not as optimal as a barbell/dumbbell routine it is still WAY better then nothing. I can't really recommend one as I've never done one personally. I like to have at least tried something before I recommend it.

To all the people who just stopped in just to say something nice to me, THANK YOU! You guys really all brighten my day when I read those comments!
  • Elle562018
    Elle562018 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later. Congrats!
  • NewME9006
    NewME9006 Posts: 27
    Options
    That is amazing! Thank you for sharing. Congrats :)
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on KETO?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!