Socially Acceptable Amount of Skin

Options
kk_140
kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
Alright, so I am new to the working-out scene. I want to start jogging around my neighborhood, but had a question about attire.

I live in a very hot and humid climate. I would like to work out in just shorts and a sports bra, that is what I wear in my home when I work out. But I don't know if that is acceptable in public? Should I wear a tank top?

What do ya'll wear when working out outside? What would you consider socially acceptable work out attire?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I prefer running shirtless- I wear carpis and a sports bra.

BUT- I will now only do that at the track- I won't do it down my street- I don't feel like it's worth the negative attention.

I get a fair bit of hollaring as it is WITH a shirt on- so w/o I'm sure would cause issues.

Really it's up to you and what amount of heckling you might receive.

it's not uncommon in certain areas (any place with trails/parks- or good sidewalks) to see runners in itty bitty running shorts and nothing else- men and women alike. totally normal.

If those same said people went running through Trenton- it would be a different story.

So- just chose carefully.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Wear whatever you're not afraid of seeing posted on Facebook.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i guess you'd have to check your local laws for that one lol.

it wouldn't seem out of place to me at all to see a girl running in shorts and a sports bra
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

BUT- I will now only do that at the track- I won't do it down my street- I don't feel like it's worth the negative attention.

I get a fair bit of hollaring as it is WITH a shirt on- so w/o I'm sure would cause issues.

it's not uncommon in certain areas (any place with trails/parks- or good sidewalks) to see runners in itty bitty running shorts and nothing else- men and women alike. totally normal.

If those same said people went running through Trenton- it would be a different story.

And on some trail runs, I've seen guys wearing much much less.

*shudder*

:noway:
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

So where are you that women are running topless?

OP: wear what you are comfortable with - both temperature-wise and skin-wise.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

And on some trail runs, I've seen guys wearing much much less.

*shudder*

:noway:

GO GO RANGER PANTIES!!!

think in Canada it's cool LMAO
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    What about those tank style shirts that are all cut up?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

OP: wear what you are comfortable with - both temperature-wise and skin-wise.

Ouch! And this.

Here, it isn't very common, other places I've been to everyone is wearing a bra top. You will likely get more attention here. Some people like that, some people hate it, others couldn't care either way. It's up to you.
    I couldn't wait to go running down south in my bra top, but it isn't something I'm comfortable doing here.

I don't think there is a set rule unless you are in a race.

(I'm in Canada :laugh: )

ETA- I'm guessing in a hot, humid climate it is much more common and acceptable. If you are comfortable, do it.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    It would probably be best if you jogged in just a thong and boobie tassles.
  • kk_140
    Options
    I'm going to go to my neighborhood track tomorrow and see what other people are wearing. I'll wear a t-shirt and it it seems common to wear just a sports bra I'll peel down a layer lol.
  • kk_140
    Options

Tempting offer, but I will probably still need more support than tassles. :P
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

You're not helping. :drinker:
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

Granted, so you're still down with the thong though right?
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I live in Houston (does it get any more humid than this?) and I see gals all the time in shorts/sports bras.
  • kk_140
    Options
    I live in Houston (does it get any more humid than this?) and I see gals all the time in shorts/sports bras.

Thank you for this! (and no I don't think it does get much more humid than this lol)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

think in Canada it's cool LMAO

I clutched at my chest in phantom pain at the thought of attempting that.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Wear whatever you're not afraid of seeing posted on Facebook.

This is a good rule of thumb actually.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with covering all but nip.
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Wear whatever makes your feel sexy and or confident. You're much more likely to stick with it if YOU feel good about yourself while you are jogging/running/walking/etc.

Social acceptability really shouldn't be an issue unless you are jogging in a thong :p
  • patfriendly
    patfriendly Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    shorts and sports bra is totally acceptable. I don't think anyone will catch you and tell you to go back home and change. But some people might stare and you have to get used to it.