Low-fat snack food

Options
KayJaMikel
KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
Let me explain, I work doing medical transcription and sit and type most of the day. One of my things I do (besides stupid smoking, yes, I know), is I like to suck on either candies or eat a munchy treat. My favorite treat is Chex Mix (prefer the Sour Cream and Onion favor but will eat the regular). They are small like 8.75 oz bags and I can eat 1 bag in 2 settings, like 1.5 days. I feel horribly guilty eating this now but there really aren't that many calories or things in it. According to this http://www.amazon.com/Chex-Cream-Onion-Snack-8-75-Ounce/dp/B002AQP30Y, it has 180 calories per serving, 4 g fat, 180 mg of Sodium, 2 g protein. Is this horrible to snack on?

If it is horrible, does anybody know another snack that has flavor that I can eat without getting my hands filthy. I just have to be able to pick it up and pop it in my mouth.

I also used to eat jelly beans all the time and have stopped these. Was wondering if there are any other sucking type candies that won't do too much damage.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• tectactoe
    tectactoe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It's only horrible if it causes you to go over your calorie/macro goals for the day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    According to this http://www.amazon.com/Chex-Cream-Onion-Snack-8-75-Ounce/dp/B002AQP30Y, it has 180 calories per serving, 4 g fat, 180 mg of Sodium, 2 g protein. Is this horrible to snack on?

If it is horrible, does anybody know another snack that has flavor that I can eat without getting my hands filthy. I just have to be able to pick it up and pop it in my mouth.

Since the serving size in only 1/2 cup, it is a pretty high calorie snack IMO. You could eat a huge bowl of air popped popcorn for those calories.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sour Patch Kids are my personal fav
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Let me explain, I work doing medical transcription and sit and type most of the day. One of my things I do (besides stupid smoking, yes, I know), is I like to suck on either candies or eat a munchy treat. My favorite treat is Chex Mix (prefer the Sour Cream and Onion favor but will eat the regular). They are small like 8.75 oz bags and I can eat 1 bag in 2 settings, like 1.5 days. I feel horribly guilty eating this now but there really aren't that many calories or things in it. According to this http://www.amazon.com/Chex-Cream-Onion-Snack-8-75-Ounce/dp/B002AQP30Y, it has 180 calories per serving, 4 g fat, 180 mg of Sodium, 2 g protein. Is this horrible to snack on?

I also used to eat jelly beans all the time and have stopped these. Was wondering if there are any other sucking type candies that won't do too much damage.

Thanks!!!

Nips are my hard candy go to.....these are so hard they are impossible to chew. Someone mentioned Nerds in a thread...can't imagine eating too many of those.

LOW calorie popcorn......... you have to read labels, because some are wildly high calorie

Skinny Pop, Smart Food, Angies (Boom Chicka) are all really low calorie. The Skinny Pop has a cracked pepper variety. Smart Food has a white cheddar....not messy. Angies makes a low cal kettle corn. If you can't be trusted with a big bag.....look for a snack sized Indiana Popcorn.....the sea salt is yummy (Dollar Tree has just the right size bag).....no quite as low cal....but still pretty good.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    To those who mentioned low fat popcorn, are they flavored at all or are they just plain old popcorn?

And thanks for all the suggestions.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options

Thanks!!!

Nips are my hard candy go to.....these are so hard they are impossible to chew. Someone mentioned Nerds in a thread...can't imagine eating too many of those.

LOW calorie popcorn......... you have to read labels, because some are wildly high calorie

Skinny Pop, Smart Food, Angies (Boom Chicka) are all really low calorie. The Skinny Pop has a cracked pepper variety. Smart Food has a white cheddar....not messy. Angies makes a low cal kettle corn. If you can't be trusted with a big bag.....look for a snack sized Indiana Popcorn.....the sea salt is yummy (Dollar Tree has just the right size bag).....no quite as low cal....but still pretty good.

Doh, should have continued reading. I love the white cheddar flavor, I will have to try that out. Thanks a gazillion. Oh, and it's not like I would eat a whole bag of popcorn in 1 day, but it just something to do with my mouth.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    Sour Patch Kids are my personal fav

Not sure I could handle all that sourness. I bought little bags of Swedish fish today but am not gonna eat them cause they are pretty high in fat. I'll let my kids eat them.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    [/quote]

Snipped for space.

[/quote]

Nips, do you mean those little dots stuck to a paper that you peel off?
  • Mgypsygirl
    Mgypsygirl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Skinny pop is the best and yes they have flavors. I think the whole bag is 150 calories.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    For a dry crunchy savory snack I like the Japanese or Korean grilled seaweed snacks I pick up at the Asian grocer. The calories are almost negligible. However, they only satisfy on the taste and brittle texture front. They are not filling at all.

I don't know if either of these bean based homemade crunchy savory snacks leave your hands clean enough:

http://www.ihearexercisewillkillyou.com/2010/06/split-pea-crisps.html
    http://www.chow.com/recipes/30368-spicy-oven-roasted-chickpeas
  • FatIsDeath
    FatIsDeath Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A few pieces of sugarless gum usually helps to kill cravings like that for me. Water might work too...

Still, you can have some candy each day if it doesn't disrupt your overall goals. Or eat a bunch on your cheat day :)
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    To those who mentioned low fat popcorn, are they flavored at all or are they just plain old popcorn?

You can make your own popcorn by placing the kernals in a brown paper bag, folding it over twice and poping in the microwave. That way you can add whatever toppings you like and have ultimate control over the calories and macros. Do a search of the forums because there are plenty of threads discussing options for popcorn toppings
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    For a dry crunchy savory snack I like the Japanese or Korean grilled seaweed snacks I pick up at the Asian grocer. The calories are almost negligible. However, they only satisfy on the taste and brittle texture front. They are not filling at all.

I don't know if either of these bean based homemade crunchy savory snacks leave your hands clean enough:

http://www.ihearexercisewillkillyou.com/2010/06/split-pea-crisps.html
    http://www.chow.com/recipes/30368-spicy-oven-roasted-chickpeas

Hi thanks for the suggestion of the grilled seaweed snacks, but I do not eat any seafood, tuna in a can once in a blue moon. I will look at the other links though. Thanks!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Check out Seapoint Farms dry roasted edamame. HIgh protein, high fiber, low fat.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

You can make your own popcorn by placing the kernals in a brown paper bag, folding it over twice and poping in the microwave. That way you can add whatever toppings you like and have ultimate control over the calories and macros. Do a search of the forums because there are plenty of threads discussing options for popcorn toppings

Never had much luck with this. Tried a couple microwaves, new popcorn seeds, oil...no oil. Some popped corn but a ton of unpopped seeds....what a waste.

Now - Presto Power Pop (microwave popper)......good stuff. A small amount of butter flavored oil (teaspoon)......buttery flavor and salt actually sticks to it.
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Pickles, beef jerky, and fruit are my go tos.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I like the Skinny Pop but need to find it where I live. Not sure about the edame (spelling), not even sure what that is, although Google says its a soybean. I have not ever eaten soybeans, but think my Graze box will be including them in some shape, so will try them. Pickles I like but messy for during work and hate hate beef jerky. Fruit too is messy. I know excuses excuses, just tying to find a neat little bag of treats/candies I can just grab and go. For now, since I love my Chex Mix, I have decided to eat it in moderation, and all the comments about how if I do not go over calories, I should be okay have helped me. The Chex and me liking it was quite a surprise. I was out of bird food for my parrot and until I could get to the store, asked hubby to pick up dehydrated fruit/nuts/trail mix kind of thing till next day, and he brought Chex Mix home but also food for the bird, so these were not needed, so I tasted them, and stopped completely eating chips once I tried them. I was worried about sodium because of how long I sit, I sometimes swell in my legs/feet, but these are not too bad, unless I eat bags a day.

Who knew an easy, non-messy snack, not too horrible in fat/calorie content would be so hard to pick, LOL.