Diet, Fitness and Menopause

Options
I am Menopausal and on HRT. Does this affect results??

Replies

• lpritchard
    Options
    I have been on HRT for about 3 years. Yes I think our metabolism slows down but I have been sucessful this time by concentrating on cardio. I do an aerobics class 3 days a week and do the elliptical 3 days a week. I am honest with my eating. Portion control is reality. I have lost 7 lbs since September 6. I only gained a pound during the holidays and it is already gone. I think HRT actually helps in the well being department; better attitude, no mood swings and no headaches.

Good Luck
    Lpritchard
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor, but I had to do a lot of research on menopause in college. Can't recommend enough that you get this book - What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause by John Lee MD if you haven't read it already.

Here's a site with some good info on exercise and HRT - http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedies/hrt/hrt_exercise.htm

I have yet to find much info on how HRT will effect weight loss, but as it raises estrogen levels, you can assume it will make weight loss a bit more challenging (estrogen encourages weight retention and helps determine where the weight is kept.) You may need to have more cardio than someone not on HRT and use longer cardio sessions to overcome estrogen's tendency to utilize carbs. If your weight is distributed in "typical" feminine areas (ie hips, stomach), you may be more effected by the estrogen and have to work harder at loss. But even HRT can't stop loss forever. If you work at it, it WILL come off.

You may also want to lower your carb goals in settings, as estrogen encourages using energy from carbs rather than fat.

Anyway, good luck with it and stay committed!
  • PaulaAvery
    PaulaAvery Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys, brilliant tips :)