Stove Top Cooking: Substitute For Butter ?

Options
Made tuna helper for supper tonight. Called for 3tbsp of butter. I used roughly 1 1/2tsb and it tasted better :). But I'm wondering what I can use instead of butter / margarine when cooking on the stove. Thought about greek yogurt, but wasn't sure it went well with hot tuna.

Replies

• Parthus02
    Parthus02 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light line has far fewer calories than butter/margarine. It's made from canola oil.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Vegetable oil?

I prefer not to use olive oil for cooking - imo it's better left uncooked, like in salad dressings. I find cooking alters the flavor too much for the price of the olive oil.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You might just be able to leave it out entirely.... I've made those flavored noodle pouches before that call for 2 tablespoons... I never use any, and they taste just the same... I'm not sure if it works the same way as tuna helper.
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I usually just use the butter (but less than called for like you did). It's a fairly healthy fat when consumed in moderation and it's just YUM. I'd much rather use the real food most of the time than it's invented and low cal. contemporary though. I have used the fake butter sprays a few times on toast and they are ok but I have no idea how they would be in cooked dishes.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I usually just use the butter (but less than called for like you did). It's a fairly healthy fat when consumed in moderation and it's just YUM. I'd much rather use the real food most of the time than it's invented and low cal. contemporary though. I have used the fake butter sprays a few times on toast and they are ok but I have no idea how they would be in cooked dishes.

QFT. I just use smaller amounts of real butter. YUM.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    A spray of oil or nothing usually.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    If your problem is the calories, it doesn't make sense to sub with other oils. Just use less if you want fewer calories. If you're sauteeing, you can get away with using some cooking stock but the texture won't be the same. In a casserole type dish like the tuna helper, you need to increase the amount of liquid you use if you use less oil.

If you're looking for a non-dairy alternative, use coconut oil or animal fat (bacon grease, other rendered fats). If your concern is saturated fat, the only high-heat oils you're going to find will be highly refined/hydrogenated and at that point you're better off just using the butter.