Seen Plastic Surgeon Today RE belly....

Options
BetesBitch
BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
So I went and seen a plastic surgeon today concerning the area on my belly where ive taken thousands of injections for Type 1 diabetes for the last 22 years.

I notice the belly bump on me since I was 12 and very skinny - it was there. I didn't know what caused it and just over looked it. Before I got pregnant i lost weight and was a nice 140lbs and I loved it, yes my bump was there but it didn't really bother me a whole lot.

So now after the baby and trying to lose all the weight for the past 2 years, I thought I would go see a plastic surgeon to see if he could remove this insulin lipohypertrophy (abnormal fat deposits that cannot be lost with any diet or exercise) To my surprise, this doctor said most of this belly fat is NORMAL belly fat! This is actually good news to me because now I know that it's possible to lose this belly with diet. I have 15lbs to lose and my belly should definately shink and make the bump smaller. The doctor also said, unfortunately that my belly bump as a 12-year-old and the prepregnancy woman, is just ME - it's the way im build and the way the fat is going to live there............He also stated that I am a 9 1/2 out of 10 woman :) I sure appreciated that remark. He was so nice and reccommended i DO NOT have lipo to rid this NORMAL fat that I always thought was the insulin fat bubble. Hurray to him for not scamming me for money. I love honest people!

Replies

• Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Congrats on having your Doctor be honest and not try to pressure you into unnecessary surgery. Big high 5 as well on your positive attitude around the next step on losing the rest of the weight you would like.

I am so glad that the injections haven't damaged your skin and underlying tissues.

Cheers and All the very Best
    Karen
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    It's fantastic when you get a really good doctor who makes an effort to give you the very best attention they can. I also applaud your positive attitude, especially dealing with T1D, so well done! :-)
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    Trust me people, my attitude isn't this good all the time - not even close. lol. And it prob is damaged a bit. Like I did have endocrinologist tell me and diabetic clinic nurses to tell me to stop injecting there. Endo said bump will never go away. Nurse said will go away with time. Well I stopped injecting there for 3 years and it didn't go away so I seen the plastic surgeon today and well you already know what he said. I just can't wait to lose the 15lbs and see what my belly looks like!!!!
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    good luck on the rest of your weight loss :)
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I had them pretty bad on my thighs as a teen, because no one ever told me what would happen by not properly rotating injection sites. They have improved dramatically, and I haven't had any other problems since I've been more diligent about rotation.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss.

But I thinks it's kind of weird/inappropriate for a doctor to be rating his patients?
  • BetesBitch
    Options

But I thinks it's kind of weird/inappropriate for a doctor to be rating his patients?

No NOT weird. He noticed I was self conscience and he made a compliment to make me feel better about myself. It was a nice feeling to hear it. Sure brightened my day :)
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    Oh forgot to mention the the plastic surgeon recommended low carb and no meat for the weight loss. This I didn't agree with. You can reduce any food group and lose weight. Why not just reduce every food group a little bit to get your calorie deficit. Low carb I think is good but low carb to me is no stupid sugar lol, (like donuts, cakes, chips, candy etc) Just good sugar like fruits and wholegrains and dairy. My carb intake is around 150grams per day.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I hope it works out. You look like a nice person.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

No NOT weird. He noticed I was self conscience and he made a compliment to make me feel better about myself. It was a nice feeling to hear it. Sure brightened my day :)

I agree, I don't think this is weird. They have to have a sort of rating system in mind so as to know when to say "no" to people.

A reputable plastic surgeon knows when to say "no" or when to recommend a less aggressive approach/procedure.

Glad you got good news and don't need to spend $$$$ on plastic surgery. Additionally, it seems like your head is on right about diet :)

Edited for typo
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    I hope it works out. You look like a nice person.

LOL, those that look nice can be the worst! Murderer, con artist etc.....lol