I CAN'T lose weight. :(

Options
Hello! I've started my weight loss journey a month back and the first week I lost about 5 pounds:

SW: 135
HW: 138.5
LW: 129.5
CW: 132.5
GW: 125

But recently I've been stuck in 132lb for a full week and I don't understand why. I walk everyday, I do Zumba everyday for an hour, I do situps, jumping jacks and squats everyday, I go to the gym on the weekends, I usually eat under my calorie goal and I've cut all junk food and sodas out of my life only drinking water. So my question is, if I'm doing everything right, why am I not getting any results?

Replies

• zlrobinson
    zlrobinson Posts: 1
    Options
    How is your protein intake? Up your protein, see the weight loss. It could very well be diet.
  • Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Might want to try eating a little more since you exercise so much. Also, you may want to add some weights in with that cardio.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear, you could be retaining fluid, and one week is NOT long enough to even begin thinking you "can't" lose weight.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    You don't say how tall you are, so it's unclear that you even need to lose weight. Regardless of height, 132 isn't a large person. Weight loss would be slow, probably no more than 1/2 pound a week. You just joined in May and it's still May, so be patient. If you open your diary and give us more info, we might be able to offer advice.
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Maybe open up your diary so people can have a look? They might be able to give more helpful advice if you do that.
  • princessmommy122
    princessmommy122 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Well, it's only been a month and your current weight is less than your start weight, if I read right. When you don't have much to lose it can take a while. It has taken me nearly twelve weeks to lose 14 pounds, and the last month I've only lost four, but that puts me three pounds from my goal. Also, you are working out a lot, maybe you have gained some muscle. Try measuring your waist. You may have lost more in inches than pounds. Otherwise, hang in there. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • aptivaboy
    aptivaboy Posts: 1
    Options
    You night also be building up some muscle. Muscle is usually denser than fat, so you may be getting fitter and leaner, but your weight may stay the same as you replace fat with muscle.
  • tlaurenw
    tlaurenw Posts: 17
    Options
    Start weight lifting and eating a bit more. A lot of people eat way too little and wonder why they don't lose weight. It could work.
  • Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    A week is not enough to define ability to lose weight.
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Seems like a fairly normal weight for an average sized woman. Maybe your body is trying to tell you something?
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all your foods so you know exactly what you are consuming? No eye-balling or guesses or using measuring cups.... Its a pain, but you should know exactly what you are consuming. And I wouldn't be worried about one week. My weight fluctuates from week to week. I may be up or down 3 lbs from week to week. You want to look at trends over time.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    But you ARE. If you think you need to lose 10 pounds faster than the rate you're going now, you are wrong.
  • thincharlene
    Options
    I am 5'2
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,628 Member
    Options
    You night also be building up some muscle. Muscle is usually denser than fat, so you may be getting fitter and leaner, but your weight may stay the same as you replace fat with muscle.
    IF the OP is a newbie at exercise, there may be a little gain, but in calorie deficit, building muscle is an improbability because it would require adding tissue. And adding tissue means adding mass which happens when one is in calorie surplus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,628 Member
    Options
    What goal are you trying to achieve a week? I suspect it's 2lbs, but correct me if I'm wrong.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • diamondgurlz1
    Options
    take in as close to your calories as possible thats whats wrong with me
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't change a thing unless you continue not losing any weight for 3 weeks.
  • richo59
    richo59 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was starting to think the same thing. My daughter pressured me to lose the scales for a while, so I did.
    I felt much better for it, and the weight started to slowly drop. I increased my exercise goal by 100 cals per session, but also increased my percentage of Protein. I think you need to keep juggling to find what suits your body. Keep going and good luck.
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    IF the OP is a newbie at exercise, there may be a little gain, but in calorie deficit, building muscle is an improbability because it would require adding tissue. And adding tissue means adding mass which happens when one is in calorie surplus.

IDEA Fitness member

Niner, in NROLFW, author Lou Schuler states a calorie deficit of no more than 300 cals/day is permissible. But I see so many posts saying you can't gain muscle or strength with a deficit. The book is a few years old so I don't know if that idea is now outdated. Could you give us your take on that?
  • thincharlene
    Options
    My goal is to lose at least 2 pounds a week.