Bodymedia Accuracy and Adjusting Caloric Intake

Options
2»

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    hmm for weight lifting its not..so my burn for the day is low..i honestly (and still) do not know how much I burn in a day officially..and unfortunately live in a small tiny state probably doesnt have anything i can test..or i could actually afford...when doing cardio i'm okay..but just not weight lifting (which is my main focus right now)..i've actually been questioning its accuracy...but their customer service can be wonky their nice and all..but i think i'm a little bit upset with them for telling me my hrm isnt accurate..and it is only for high cardio workouts..not weight lifting...(i'd like to see someone lift heavy and tell me their hr doesnt go up..)

i've read things like calibrating it..and changing the height..i've been searching for the last 24 hours..i'm honestly confused..its a higher burn then what i actually do..in a way it honeslty makes me feel like a couch potato that i'm not doing enough..but wants me to eat so much less...weight lifting makes me hungry..i want food!

this was probably not helpful in the least...ive had mine since august of last year..
    well they are right that HRMs are for cardio workouts...while lifting does raise your heart rate, its different from cardio so it doesnt read the same. weight lifting doesnt really burn all that many calories... if you want you can search for weightlifting under the cardo database and add it, it will adjust your bmf entry as well though. i think it says i burn 174 calories in 30 minutes while lifting.
  • giggalz
    giggalz Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    hmm for weight lifting its not..so my burn for the day is low..i honestly (and still) do not know how much I burn in a day officially..and unfortunately live in a small tiny state probably doesnt have anything i can test..or i could actually afford...when doing cardio i'm okay..but just not weight lifting (which is my main focus right now)..i've actually been questioning its accuracy...but their customer service can be wonky their nice and all..but i think i'm a little bit upset with them for telling me my hrm isnt accurate..and it is only for high cardio workouts..not weight lifting...(i'd like to see someone lift heavy and tell me their hr doesnt go up..)

i've read things like calibrating it..and changing the height..i've been searching for the last 24 hours..i'm honestly confused..its a higher burn then what i actually do..in a way it honeslty makes me feel like a couch potato that i'm not doing enough..but wants me to eat so much less...weight lifting makes me hungry..i want food!

this was probably not helpful in the least...ive had mine since august of last year..
    well they are right that HRMs are for cardio workouts...while lifting does raise your heart rate, its different from cardio so it doesnt read the same. weight lifting doesnt really burn all that many calories... if you want you can search for weightlifting under the cardo database and add it, it will adjust your bmf entry as well though. i think it says i burn 174 calories in 30 minutes while lifting.

I lift heavy..I can burn more sometimes with heavy lifting then a cardio workout
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    according to your heart rate monitor, which isnt accurate for anything other than cardio? ok.
  • AntiDentites
    AntiDentites Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've had my BodyMedia LINK for a few months now. It seems pretty accurate for walking/running (as long as I move my arms), basket ball, climbing stairs, etc. But it underestimates for the elliptical, biking and the treadmill - Even when I wear it on my leg, or the lower part of my arm (like BodyMedia had suggested).

As far as day-to-day activity: It tends to over-estimate a tad if I wear it on my leg instead of my arm, since I do a lot of walking. This is because it's calibrated for the arm. I usually only do this if I'm dressing up for an occasion, and don't want the armband to be visible.

I've heard other people say it over-estimates when they drive... I have not found that to be the case so far. Maybe they drive in heavy traffic, and the stress gets their heart rate up or something? LOL

Over all, it has really amazed me to learn how many calories I can burn cleaning house, gardening, or even grocery shopping/running errands! I had no idea... Plus, it shows me when I've had sedentary periods of sitting at my desk too long - And this has really motivated me to take exercise breaks, so that I can see a spike in activity. I love how everyday lifestyle can easily add up to a 200 calorie burn, aside from exercise, just by making small daily shifts. :)

On another note: I recently had my RMR tested at our local university for $100. I fasted for 12 hours, and got hooked up to a face mask for about 15 minutes. During the test, I was told to breathe unusually shallow, even though this left me feeling like I was starved for air! It was not my normal breathing. I wonder if this is accurate, since I never breathe like this... Have others had this experience?