What the hell do I even EAT?!

Options
Happy_Niss
Happy_Niss Posts: 95 Member
Hola everyone!

I'm having an issue.
Since I am vegetarian and have IBS, I am having an issue finding things to add to my diet to add variety.
I've been stuck eating Belvita, granola bars, Protein bars, and Spring rolls...with the occasional pizza (which I am SO burnt out on from working at a pizza place). Also burnt out on Sandwiches.

I am not a great cook and do not like a whole lot of vegetables, even though I am vegetarian. A lot of vegetables and cheese gives me gas, so "entree" meals slathered in cheese are not okay.

What would you recommend I try? It sounds to me like I am doomed to eat snacks and spring rolls forever!

Replies

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    What have you been eating up to now? You've been alive for years so there must be something you're surviving on...?
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused about you being vegetarian but not really liking many vegetables. Many people do suffer from gas after eating certain kinds of vegetables. Perhaps you can try to sort out which vegetables trigger IBS symptoms and which don't. I have IBS as well and know that acidic things can trigger my problems (tomato sauce, coffee, etc).

What about meat substitutes? Or beans? There are so many good recipes for vegetarians out there, but they are going to be largely vegetable-based (obviously).

Can I ask why you don't eat meat?
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    What about juicing? I'm not vegan, but it is something I have given serious consideration. And there are some recipes that look so yummy that I found myself recently pricing some high-powered juicers. Right before life hijacked my checkbook. Still, I'm planning on it. Have you tried it? I saw a recipe for a 'carrot cake' one. OMG. And it was healthy and low cal. Can't beat that.
  • VegetalienPleurnichard
    VegetalienPleurnichard Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    FRUIT
  • Happy_Niss
    Options
    I have eaten meat in the past. I get so burnt out on eating the same things over and over. I used to eat sandwiches all the time, before that I ate cereal, before that was grilled cheese, and before that was ramen. I can't eat a lot of that now or it makes me sick.
    I don't eat meat for ethical and medical issues. Meat messes my stomach up like none other.

Substitutes are nice a lot of the time, but very spendy. I have also burnt out on a lot of the soy meat substitutes like hot dogs, chik'n tenders, etc.

I survive off of snacking mainly nowadays. But I would like to have some real meal ideas that aren't difficult.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Maybe provide us with a list of don'ts.

Lacto-ovo, or strict vegan?
    What sets off your IBS?
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Since you eat pizza, dairy seems OK, so use plain Greek yogurt as one of your main protein sources. Lots off yogurt is also a good idea to help your digestive tract with probiotics. Fermented foods are also rich in probiotics so you may want to consider sauerkraut, Kim chi, tempeh, etc... If you eat eggs, they are about as good a balanced protein source as you can get with lots of other nutrients. Cheese is good too. You said cheese bothers you, but if you eat reduced fat cheeses, then try some full fat ones, reduced fat dairy is lacking the fat that buffers the sugars and proteins. Some people that can't tolerate low fat milk and dairy actually do fine when they try whole milk and full fat cheeses. It's worth a shot.And don't worry about the fat in dairy. Your body needs fats and as long as you stay in a calorie deficit, fat in your diet are not a concern in any way since you use or burn them all and won't have any extra left in your bloodstream anyway.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could check out vegetarian or IBS cooking blogs? You might be able to learn some tips and tricks?
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Eggs, egg whites, scrambled or in omelets with lots of vegetables. Quinoa, brown rice (add some egg for protein), lentils, soups sweet potato. Cottage cheese Greek yogurt, protein drinks, cheese.
  • Happy_Niss
    Options
    I don't really eat eggs and I pick the cheese off of the pizza, or have light cheese. Dairy doesn't sit well with my IBS. Especially yogurt and ice cream.

I have a lot of IBS triggers. From caffeine to dairy, sometimes I feel like if I even look at food wrong I get the gut-rumbles.
    My belly is very picky, which makes eating quite hellish, which has put me in this situation to begin with.
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    With all those restrictions you'd probably be best to see a qualified dietician. Your doctor should be able to refer you to someone.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your ethics are, but it doesn't sound like your vegetarian diet is working out that well for you health-wise. I can say that because I was vegetarian for many years and finally came to the conclusion that I wasn't gettng everything I needed in my diet and started eating free range chicken and other organic and pasture raised meats and I've never been healthier or felt as good.

If you stay vegetarian, then eggs are the main thing that will give you most of what you need. That's whole eggs, and not just egg whites. The whites may be higher in protein and lower in fat, but the proteins are not as balanced as eating the whole egg. Your body needs fats and dietary cholesterol has a negligible effect on blood levels. The yolks are packed with nutrition and if you're not eating meat, they may be your only decent dietary source to get them.
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I thought dairy was one of my IBS triggers, turned out I was lactose intolerant. I can still eat yogurt, all other dairy I take a diary digestive supplement and have no issues. Which is great because I dearly love cheese. And milk. And Ice cream.