Mexican Food

Options
Looking for a little help! Currently, I've lost 41 lbs, most of which before finding this website but have 51 lbs to reach my goal. I'm also involved in a BL Challenge locally and have been counting calories and exercising which is how I've lost my 41 lbs. Eating out can sometimes be a challenge, I've taught myself a lot with eating out. But here's my question for this post. Saturday, I'm meeting some friends for Mexican... What are some low calorie options?? Any suggestions, tips, etc would be greatly appreciated. I will work out that day but don't want to count on my workout burn calories to 'take care' of what I eat.

Thanks for your help!!

Replies

• jessicak1313
    Options
    I would go for the grilled Chicken or fish. Just becareful for the sides and the toppings. Congrats on 41 lbs, that's great! I am just getting started, I hope to be as successful as you :)
  • 2bfitb450
    2bfitb450 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am doing the same tonight for a friends birthday. We are going to look on line for ideas and be ready before we get there.
  • mmelaragno
    Options
    Our local restaurants offer like a Mexican Stir Fry, which is pretty healthy and good. Skip the chips for sure!
  • james3302
    james3302 Posts: 119
    Options
    Chicken fajitas without the tortillas! Or at least cut down the number of tortillas you eat. And skimp on the free tortilla chips also. Most of the items I find in Mexican restaraunts are covered in cheese so stay away from those food items.
  • doshie1
    doshie1 Posts: 19
    Options
    perhaps tortilla soup minus the tortillas on top, as if it is a broth based soup if so i might think about that...watch out for a cream based soup though :) !
  • jchecks
    jchecks Posts: 133
    Options
    I would check out their salads...thats what I usually go for when we eat mexican. BUT ... beware of the cheese...a lot of mexican restaurants LOAD on the cheese...so my tip would be to ask for it on the side or just none at all.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Is their menu on line by any chance? Try and stay away from the chips and salsa. You can look up "On the Border" nutrition and that may give you an idea of what an enchilada etc.. would have...I normally do a salad no taco shell and stay away from any cheese, sour cream, avocado (or put it on the side) and I use salsa as the dressing. 2 hard/soft shell tacos with chicken lettuce tomato isnt to bad either. Oh and the rice! stay away if you can. Just do beans or ask for some veggies. I hear fajitas arent to bad if you ask to go light on the oil and watch how many of the tortillas you have.
  • Sillybunni
    Sillybunni Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Fajitas would probably be a good option, they usually come with grilled peppers/veggies too.
    How about a taco salad with a grilled meat and don't eat the fried bowl it comes in? See if you can get pico de gallo instead of a dressing.
    Try logging in a few typical menu items and see how they fit in with your daily journal.
  • lbridges27
    Options
    I'd go with fajitas and just eat the meat & veggies- no tortillas
  • mayana2002
    Options
    I love Mexican food! The bad part of it are the calories... I try to avoid fried stuff. I rather go to a sof taco than a crispy taco. I like fish taco and looooove carne asada soft taco with corn tortilla. Today is the Mexican night at home and I limit myself to 2 asada tacos or 1 asada taco with one tb spoon of refried beans and two of spanish rice. WHen I get tamales, I usualy go for the chicken with green salsa. And I don't eat more than 2 if they are small.
    About drinks, if you drink, go for Mojitos. Margaritas have waaay more calories than a mojito.
    I do that every Saturday night and lose weight still.
    As much as I love chips and salsa, I get something else like a salad (without the fried tortilla) or just concentrate on my drink. Chips are fried and loaded with salt.
    If you want to eat something else, what I do in a unknown calorie situation is, I eat half of it. Never the whole portion... If it is too big, I eat 1/3 of it. Good thing is you will have lunch for the next day!
    And the most important, have FUN with your friends! :) If you think you will go a lil over in that night, exercise during the day and the next day start your diet normally!!!:drinker:
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    THEY HAVE GREAT SALADS..WITH GRILLED SHRIMP AND PICO DE GALO TOMATOES ONION BELLPEPPERS W/ FRESH LIME TO SQUEEZE ON IT...ITS GREAT!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Last time we had lunch at Chevy's (Mexican), I had a Salsa Chicken Enchilada (240 cals) and asked them to put it over a bed of salad greens. Made for a filling, yummy salad! Salsa is great for sauce or dressing on anything. Remember, you can ask them to customize something for you. What do you like to eat? Ask for some shredded chicken over salad greens with black beans, maybe some corn & top w/salsa.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Also, in most cases, a crispy taco has less calories and fat than a soft taco. Defies logic, but true!
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I like to have just the Shrimp cocktail. The mexican version is awesome. Lite and filling.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Avoid Chips! And no margaritas! Say yes to ice water! Order Chicken Fajitas without sour cream and guac and cheese, pile up with veggies and salsa! Mmmm!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    If you can handle spicy ... I love camarones a la diabla. It's a ton of veggies, the chile adobo sauce is a little fatty, but 1/3 of an order is about 200 calories. I try to avoid or eat only one tortilla. And with all the peppers, it's really filling and super super yummy!
  • CarlaAnn15
    CarlaAnn15 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! This really does help!!! Good Luck to you all on your continued weight loss journey!!

To me this isn't a diet, it's a weight loss management program that has become my life style!!
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    I work at a mexican restaraunt and it kiiiillss me. But for the past couple of days I have been looking up on what is ok to eat and what is terrible. Definitely avoid chips and queso, and I know where I work we have whole grain tortillas. dont get cheese on anything, you cant even taste it. We can put burritos and tacos in a bowl so you dont get a tortilla, and try to eat something healthy before, or drink a lot of water, so that you are not tempted to overindulge.
  • CarlaAnn15
    CarlaAnn15 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks tsosbe!! I think I'd have a lot of trouble working in a Mexican Restaraunt too!!! Good Luck to you on your continued weight loss!
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    Thank you! Good luck to you too!