Need a little advice for amusement park

Options
In the past, when I have gone to Six Flags, I have not been able to fit into the safety harnesses that go over your head and fasten between your legs. One of my favorite rides, The Batman at Six Flags St. Louis is like that and with much humiliation, I was too fat to ride it a couple of year ago. So while my friends were riding it, I went to the ice cream stand for a waffle cone to drown my sorrows.

Anyhow, one of my main goals in losing weight is to ride the Batman again. I am going to Six Flags on Wednesday. While I have lost 57 pounds, I am just not sure if that will be enough to fit. The ride usually has a wait for over an hour. I really do not want to stand in a line for a hour for a ride that I am too fat to ride. I also don't want to not fit yet again and have to shamefully walk away while everyone is looking at me. I am just not sure if I will fit or not.

Should I risk it? Or should I wait until October when I go again for Frightfest (assuming I go this year) or until next summer.

They do not have a "try this seat ahead of time" seat before you begin the line.

Replies

• riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You never know if you don't try right? What would the other option be? Whatever you end up doing, don't end up at the waffle cone stand! Good Luck!
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I guess it depends where you started out and where you are at now. For example, if you started out at 400 pounds, 57 might not make a big enough difference. If you started at 300, it just might. You never know until you try right?

*Arbitrary numbers being used!
  • Fleur933
    Fleur933 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I had this experience at Sea World...all my best friend could talk about was the amazing roller coaster...and then I couldnt' fit into the seat. I think more and more parks are putting a 'test seat' somewhere so you can see if you can ride safely...perhaps that's an option.

I say ...GO FOR IT.

If it doesn't work this time you have an active goal for october...and you're not furthur behind.

If it does it we be an amazing accomplishment.

i remember the seat belt extenders, the plane passengers asking to move because i'm too big to sit next to...i feel you! But you can do this!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    most parks have a "test" seat somewhere so you can see if you will fit before you wait in line.
  • BobzStuff
    BobzStuff Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi, I work for a theme park and started losing weight for a very simliar reason but mine involved a Harry Potter ride. Look out front of the ride sometimes they have the test seats out there. You could test it there but honestly you should be fine. I lost about 35lbs before going back and fitting onto my ride.
    Also check to see if they have a single riders line they go so much faster and you could check it easier. I really don't think you will have a problem though I have a similar build to you and can ride all the rides at my park fine now.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    stand in line and go for it. Whether you fit or not use it as motivation for continued weight loss and self control on your journey
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If you can get there as soon as the park opens and head straight for that ride the wait might not be very long.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Well, I was curious and googled. I found this site http://www.themeparkinsider.com/news/response.cfm?ID=3344. One man posted his size and that he was able to ride Batman in CA. Also, some people were talking about special seats/rows that could accommodate bigger people. I never knew that.

Go. See what happens. Let us know! If you can ride HOORAY! If you can't ride then it's motivation for Frightfest I wonder if their Guest Services would have some info for you?
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I say try to ride it, who cares what others think, you will fit and just think of the added motivation if you don't. You will fit though.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Sneak up to the front and see what the weight limit is... or ask someone.. =) Just try it!!!
  • Beatlegirl66
    Beatlegirl66 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I figured I should inform everyone of what happened on Wednesday. 'it was extremely hot here in St. Louis (high was 108) but we went to Six Flags anyway. It worked in our advantage because the rides did not have any lines. I think the longest I waited for any ride was 3 minutes. So I went up to the guy in front of the Batman ride and shared with him my predicament. He said that there wasn't a weight limit, that it all depends on if the harness can click shut. He said that it is really hard to tell by looking at anyone if they will fit or not. But then he added that the wait time for Batman is just five minutes. So I went ahead and went up to the actually ride and sure enough they were loading up. I got into the seat and was fumbling with the seat belt. The worker came over to help me and I sheepishly said, "it might not fit...." And he said, "huh? Sure it will." And sure enough the belt clicked into place and off we went! I was so excited! And I must add that the Batman ride was just as much fun as it was when I was able to ride it 10 years ago.

Having accomplished that, I decided that I would fit into the other ride that I have never been on which was the Superman ride. My boyfriend helped me snap my belt shut and he was smiling. He was excited for me and excited that I was going to experience a ride that he enjoys.

I still have a lot more weight to lose, which I know I get hung up on. This was a wonderful time for me to look at what I have already accomplished. I never thought I would lose enough weight to be able to ride all of the rides at Six Flags again.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm happy it worked out. But that is some ridiculous heat!
  • joanyz
    joanyz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am very happy for you!! I'm glad I randomly clicked on this post, and then scanned all the way to down to see your happy ending! What a great day for you!!! :)
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Congrats Starberry!!!

I am glad it all went well!
  • hadlam83
    hadlam83 Posts: 140
    Options
    Thanks for putting the outcome to your story. Made me so happy (and a wee bit emotional) to read. Good on you!!!!!!
  • mgore0404
    mgore0404 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this. Going to St. Louis Six Flags on Tuesday the 27th, and I'm wondering if I will fit on some of the rides this time. I've lost almost 70 pounds since the last time, but still have lots to go. I think I will be brave like you and see if I fit. Thanks for posting this.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    This was a wonderful time for me to look at what I have already accomplished. I never thought I would lose enough weight to be able to ride all of the rides at Six Flags again.

Good for you for 1) trying to ride even though you knew you might not be able and 2) for losing the weight so you could ride.

This is a great success story!! :heart:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!
  • crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I figured I should inform everyone of what happened on Wednesday. 'it was extremely hot here in St. Louis (high was 108) but we went to Six Flags anyway. It worked in our advantage because the rides did not have any lines. I think the longest I waited for any ride was 3 minutes. So I went up to the guy in front of the Batman ride and shared with him my predicament. He said that there wasn't a weight limit, that it all depends on if the harness can click shut. He said that it is really hard to tell by looking at anyone if they will fit or not. But then he added that the wait time for Batman is just five minutes. So I went ahead and went up to the actually ride and sure enough they were loading up. I got into the seat and was fumbling with the seat belt. The worker came over to help me and I sheepishly said, "it might not fit...." And he said, "huh? Sure it will." And sure enough the belt clicked into place and off we went! I was so excited! And I must add that the Batman ride was just as much fun as it was when I was able to ride it 10 years ago.

Having accomplished that, I decided that I would fit into the other ride that I have never been on which was the Superman ride. My boyfriend helped me snap my belt shut and he was smiling. He was excited for me and excited that I was going to experience a ride that he enjoys.

I still have a lot more weight to lose, which I know I get hung up on. This was a wonderful time for me to look at what I have already accomplished. I never thought I would lose enough weight to be able to ride all of the rides at Six Flags again.

well done you! sound like a great day out and massive incentive to keep on going x good luck!
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Maybe look online or call there and ask about seat sizes.

Congrats on your weight loss.