binging

Options
I have a serious issue. For the past five months ever since I have decided to live a healthy lifestyle I've been anything but healthy. I will eat healthy and exercise for three days straight and then i will just cave in and go on a binging spree. I will eat anything in my grasp. chocolates, ice cream, salami, anything. I've put reminders on my phone that notify me not to binge every three hours but they just don't stop me either. I don't know how to stop myself and i know i don't do it when I'm upset or hungry i just do it and afterwards i really do not like myself and feel so sick i cannot move.

I just binged about 30 minutes ago and i ate:

1 small bowl of ice-cream
1 small bowl of pasta
15 chocolate fingers
1 bowl of red grapes
1 fruit muesli bar
1 bread roll with cheese
and 2 tim tams

I currently feel so sick and my stomach is so hard. I despise what i just did and i really need some tips to help stop me from binging because I used to purge when i was younger after eating alot but that was in my past and im worried my eating disorder is going to come back if i keep treating my body like this.

please, i need some tips and tricks on what to do after a binge and how to prevent binging
xxx
- Sarah

Replies

• sadrithmora
    sadrithmora Posts: 121
    Options
    Have you tried including regular 'treat' days into your diet? Like set one day aside where you can have some (controlled) amount of things you really like. Have you tried having less carbs? I find that meals with a lot of carbs (especially rice or potatoes) make me feel hungry very fast afterwards, maybe it's your case as well. Are you eating enough fats? They tend to suppress my appetite very well. Are you sure you're getting enough nutrients in general? Sometimes when my body s lacking something it's making me eat everything in sight (I guess in hopes of getting whatever it was lacking). Maybe some of this helps.
  • cmazurek85
    cmazurek85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I actually had the same problem a few years ago. I used to go and eat several cheeseburgers from McDonalds and then throw up because I ate so much. it was bad....

First off, I'd like to say I'm very sorry that you are binging and that your stomach hurts.

Do you know why you binge? I know you're probably thinking that if you knew the reason why, you wouldn't be doing it. I don't think that is always the case. Sometimes you just want what you want. Are you depressed? Did you have a difficult day? An argument?

Are you able to go see a counselor? I was in counseling for nearly 2 years to help with the binge eating. When I felt the need to binge, I would do something else and let the feeling pass. Most of the time, I took a walk (NEVER a drive, because I would drive to get food) or do a few sun salutations and meditate. I also prayed a lot. it took me a very long time to change my relationship with food. Im still working on it! but once I figured out what was causing me so much pain and sadness, fixed the situation, and replaced my bad habit with something good, I now can eat junk food without feeling the need to overdo it.

Also, your body (not your brain) could be demanding a certain nutrient. For example, if one craves beef, it could mean you're low on iron. The next time you feel intense cravings, google something along the lines of "craving _______" and see what comes up. If you're not already taking a multivitamin, I would start doing so.

Journaling and talking about it to someone that is close to you could be comforting. The helpful thing about journaling is that you are able to establish what triggered you to binge so you can either work on it or avoid putting yourself in that situation so you won't feel the need to binge.

Best of luck. Please keep us updated on how you're feeling!
  • fitterlifestyle
    Options
    oh thankyou i might have to add more fats into my diet and less carbs, because i do eat alot of fruit which i know is a complex carb.
  • katew221
    katew221 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hey, I don't have any professional advice, but as a binger myself for many years perhaps consider talking about the emotional/personal reasons that you feel you do this. I know I used to view binging as a kind of failure-confirmation. Because I had such low self-esteem I was subconsciously proving to myself that I would always fail. However you don't deserve to fail and your body deserves the best you can give it! Don't be too hard on yourself, beating yourself up will only increase the cycle of the binge.

I don't think the binge-guilt cycle is easy to break, and you can't just 'suck it up' or 'get over it', it is a hard thing to over come. It is GREAT that you've made this decision to live a good and healthy lifestyle, and you deserve praise and love for that :smile:

It takes a while to form a habit, and although it is so tough (I know, believe me I know!!) if you can get through the cravings to binge it will get easier and easier to say no and to be good to yourself. Then, when you do have a treat it isn't a punishment because there is no guilt afterwards, it is just a nice treat not the norm. Our minds trick us into thinking that the binge is the only thing we want, but we have to remember that it isn't real. Binging can be an ED forming habit, so you're right to take it seriously.

Good luck and feel free to add me if you would like a supportive friend :smile:
  • fitterlifestyle
    Options
    it does succk! my relationship with food i quite rocky and I'm finding it so hard to accept my body and food. I might have to start meditating because alot of my binging goes on during the night and i think this is because i cannot get to sleep because of my the stress i am under from school. I havent purged for a long time but the urges are coming back stronger than ever and its so hard to fight them. No one knows about my relationship with food, my parents have worried about my eating habits but i dont want to stress them out telling them i have some sort of disorder. your tips really helped and thanks for making me feel better xxx
  • fitterlifestyle
    Options
    oh thankyou so much for this post. its s great to know that im not the only one out there who has gone through this. im really struggling at the moment and i just need support even if its from strangers on the internet. what did you do to prevent the cravings? i feel like i am eating enough during the day so i dont know why i still need to binge because its not from restriction. xxxx
  • orchidee1987
    orchidee1987 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hello Sarah,

I am a former anorexic and bulimic. I have suffered from the two extremes for years, with a 32 kilos (70 pounds) difference in weight ... Well this was of course only one of the consequences apart from depression, stomach pains, insomnia, bad teeth and so on.

Have you considered therapy ?

The lesson i have learned was to like, and even later, to love myself. Treat myself and my body with respect, not as a tool to punish myself.
    At the time of my EDs, i was litterally obsessed with control. I too had tried to set reminders here and there ... When the urge to eat was coming, there was no way i could prevent myself from eating everything i found. Then the guilt and general feeling of self depreciating was coming ...
    What about trying to talk to yourself / start a diary ? Write down how you feel everyday : what made you happy, what upset you, etc. Just in order to ''establish a link with your inner self '' so that when the urge to eat comes you could possibly analyse what's happening to you and find another way to release the inner pain.
    On the days i find myself upset / tired / bored / worked up, i also try to plan something, something to look forward to : it could be anything : a warm bath, a talk with my friends, an outing, ... Anything but binging.

It took me time to get over my EDs, but it eventually happened, and it will for you too

Take care, you deserve it,

Sophie
  • katew221
    katew221 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you're having the desire to purge again, but you're obviously seeing the warning signs of stress and sleeping badly which is great that you have identified them. Try some relaxing youtube videos to help you sleep, I really struggle with stress/not sleeping and youtube videos really help me 'switch off' :smile:

Definitely think about talking to a counsellor at your school/college as other people have suggested, and maybe once you're getting some help you can tell your parents so they won't be worried, as you can reassure them you are getting support. You don't deserve to have your relationship with food mess with your schooling, and you don't have to do it alone. :smile:
  • cmazurek85
    cmazurek85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was under a significant amount of stress (more so than usual) when I started to binge multiple times a week. Although I knew my husband was going to be very worried, I decided to tell him what I was doing and how I was feeling. I wasn't fooling anyone. you'd be surprised how perceptive others around you can be, especially if they love you!

your parents love you and im sure would offer their support. communicating with them on how you need to be helped is paramount to your recovery.

As other posters have said, perhaps eating a little more fat at night would be helpful. so maybe for dinner, you could have an avocado with your meal? Also, even If you binge, record it. it may be painful, but it would be helpful to establish when you binge, what you eat, and how much you eat.

I cannot begin to tell you how helpful seeking professional help and help from friends and family was. The professional help can teach you coping strategies and evaluate why you're binging. friends and family could help you feel more comfortable. Also, school is probably ending soon, so you'll be able to relax (I hope!)
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have a binge eating problem as well, a lot of it has to do with my emotions. lately i have been feeling happier so my cravings are not so bad. Honestly there isn't really much advice i can give you except you have 2 voices in your head, one is telling you to binge and one is telling you not to binge. It's always going to be easier to listen to the binge eating voice :P but if you can just make it over the cravings, you get a great sense of control and accomplishment so the next time it happens you feel a lot stronger.

Keep yourself distracted, keep yourself full (eat reasonable amount of calories a day) and have some treats as long as they work within your goals :)

You could also try working out really hard afterwards burning the calories you just ate, so you realize how much work it is to keep that binge off and how it's not worth it.
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I have been a binger for many years. I still struggle with it, I sabotage myself, i believe because of a fear of failure. Fear can keep us frozen and unable to make progress. I'm actually talking with a behavioral health counselor and that is helping! I know when my time is that gives me the most trouble and I"m working on distracting myself during that time period. I have had days where I have eaten more snack calories than I am supposed to eat for a whole day, and I too would feel awful afterwards.

Good luck and keep coming back here, we GOT this.

Sharon :flowerforyou:
  • fitterlifestyle
    Options
    oh thankyou, but i don't think i'm undereating but i will open up my diary so you can have a little look and maybe tell me what im doing wrong. thankyou for the advice :)
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm a binge eater working with a therapist and what I've learned is that getting over binge eating is not a quick fix. Recovery started with my trying to slowly incorporate healthy substitutes when I binged. Have one bad thing then a healthy thing. This helped to alleviate some of the guilt I associated with binges. Then I slowed down as I binged, savoring each bite. Then I worked on having a 20 minute rule where when I'm bingeing I have to try as hard as I can not to eat the next item for at least 20 mins. I had to work up to 20 minutes. Also, I try to keep my hands busy. A lot of my bingeing is triggered by stress, and keeping my hands busy tricks my brain into thinking that I'm busy. I also have little post-its up in places where I reach for food reminding me of my goals, of waiting. It's all about mindful eating. Also, instead of reaching for food, I'll drink ice water or tea or something very low cal that tricks me into thinking that I'm eating.

Also, if you think its emotional/stress related, you may want to see a therapist yourself or at the very least pick up some workbooks like the Food and Feelings Workbook or End Emotional Eating. Both have helped me gain tremendous insight into my binge eating and given me some tools to cope. I still binge, but its far less frequent and far less destuctive when it happens. I didn't think I'd ever get to a place where I could say that, but I am and one day you will too. It just takes work, patience, and the ability to pick yourself back up each time and say, "nope, I'm definitely worth giving this healthy lifestyle another go and I start immediately."
  • Chenca
    Chenca Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am a serial binger too. I do it in secret, so my husband can't judge me. :( He knows I do it though. I am actually not overweight- I exercise every day to maintain my weight, even though I am eating rediculous amounts of calories some days. I haven't figured out how to curb it, but I am learning what triggers it. I.E. Stress will trigger eating candy (you can find candy anywhere!) then I will feel full from the candy and be ashamed- so I eat anything else I can get my hands on after that. Doesnt make sense- I know!

I would have thought eating carbs actually curbed the binging, because it made you fuller; so I am interested to read that this may not be true?
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    First thing is to review your dietary intake and your goals to make sure you're getting proper nutrition - that you're not in starvation mode or something.

Next thing is: Never ever tell yourself, "Okay, I'm never EVER having Ice Cream AGAIN FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE."
    My body considers that a dare. It's like, "Let the bidding begin....I can bust that rule in 10 seconds....no 5, no 3....ah heck....WHERE IS THAT ICE CREAM ANYWAY?!!"

There are foods that I LOVE that I don't keep in the house. For example: I love queso. I'd swim in it if I could. SO, I'll go to Don Pablo's, order a kid sized queso, pull out 8 chips, and thoroughly enjoy it. I get that craving out of my system, and don't have to keep it at home.

I love the bread they bring to the table at Outback Steakhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse. SO, if I want the bread, I'll order a side of green beans and a sirloin steak. If I want a cheeseburger, order it without the bun. It's a "choose your doom" as to which carbs you'd rather have....would you rather have the bun with the burger or the bread and butter they serve at the table?

If you just have to have that piece of pie at O'Charley's (Free Pie Wednesday after all), then share it with someone. If nobody wants to share, take it home and put it in the fridge. Hold it for a snack, and have 1/2 of it then, then the other half at dinner or the next day.

I feel like my body behaves a bit disjointedly from my head. If I tell it it can't have something, then all it wants is that something. It doesn't want to feel deprived, so I don't. It's all about working it in in a way that will hopefully keep you from binging.

(NOTE: I've been very careful not to use the phrase, "Everything in moderation." I hate that phrase. It's used by people who don't understand what it's like to be a food addict, and I want to punch their lights out! LOL)