Is walking an exercise?

Options
I walk dally on the treadmill at 3.1 mph at 10% incline for an hour to an hour and a half. Would this make me sedentary, lightly active or moderately active? The reason I even bother to mention moderately active is because my friends keep telling me it is when I believe it's not like running or the gym lol

Replies

• cavelioness
    Options
    walking is one of the best exercises for me....due to other problems especially with my ankles I do find I have to push myself to take the dog down the beach so walking on sand is a good workout anyway. I bought myself a fitbit flex and am doing around 6000 steps a day at the moment trying to build myself up. This week I have dropped 2 kilo...so slow and steady works for me. I am only in this race for me and my family so I will be here for them....good luck
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is exercise. It would make you lightly active to moderately active, depending on your other daily activities.

I'd suggest more than just walking - your body needs variety! Nothing like getting the heart REALLY pumping! Don't forget your muscles either. Walking is good, but your body needs more of a challenge than walking.

Also, why not try to walk outside? It'll be a nice change of scenery :)

All in all though, walking is better than nothing and certainly isn't a bad thing.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Yes it is exercise, but that alone would be considered lightly active imo.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The answer is D - it doesn't matter if you're using mfp to add your exercise calories back in each day. The activity levels are for your normal activity that you don't log, say like if I was a waiter and walked 4 hours a day as part of my job.