Dinner Dilema

Options
Hiya,

I am going for an indian with my work mates tomorrow evening and while I wish to enjoy my food, I don't wish to destroy my hard work.

What dishes are best for those of us keeping an eye on the carlories? And what should be avoided? And, short of taking my scales with me, how should I log it?

There is little chance that it will all fit into my allowance and I have tried to leave some calories spare for it for the last few days (I go for a weekly overall calorie average rather than be too insane about the daily goal)

How do you guys manage diet vs eating out?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I am going for an indian with my work mates tomorrow evening and while I wish to enjoy my food, I don't wish to destroy my hard work.

What dishes are best for those of us keeping an eye on the carlories? And what should be avoided? And, short of taking my scales with me, how should I log it?

There is little chance that it will all fit into my allowance and I have tried to leave some calories spare for it for the last few days (I go for a weekly overall calorie average rather than be too insane about the daily goal)

Assuming this is an infrequent thing, i would just eat whatever I want. One night of eating won't derail your total diet. I go out to restaurants a few times a month for dinner, possible calorie count of a given dish is never ever a factor in what I order, I just order whatever sounds good to me
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

Assuming this is an infrequent thing, i would just eat whatever I want. One night of eating won't derail your total diet. I go out to restaurants a few times a month for dinner, possible calorie count of a given dish is never ever a factor in what I order, I just order whatever sounds good to me

This. All I would add is that you probably will not be able to eat as much as you used to. I never can. Enjoy the time with friends, pick something to eat that you love, take home any leftovers. It's one night.
  • princessG12
    princessG12 Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi, diet vs eating out? i know how you feel your mind says "don't eat because your on diet " but your stomach says " please eat i need food" so if you don't eat you get hungry and NOT HEALTHY but if you eat with the help of www.bit.ly/1iVzT3a . and yes this can really help with maintaining your healthy body fit, don't crave your self with you favorite food.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    One night won't destroy your hard work. Go out enjoy it and don't stress over the calories. the following day get back to it.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about one day of eating out because I make sure to stay on track for the rest of the week. One option is to save calories for that day. Another is to eat at your maintenance limit for that day. Either way, I wouldn't sweat it. Considering you will have to eat 3500 calories to gain one pound of fat, any increase in weight would be water retention due to the sodium.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    nothing creamy, no naan bread...

that being said i would just eat what i want, i love a good curry and a tonne of naan bread and dont eat it that often!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Usually if I'm out for an Indian I want the full works and enjoy every mouthful.

But if your calorie allowance really can't fit that then avoid naan breads, fried rice and creamy sauces. Look for chicken tikka (no sauce) and salad, or lean meat or fish in tomato-based sauces, with boiled rice and/or roti.
  • cherow123
    cherow123 Posts: 13
    Options
    I would just stick to ordering something like Lentil Soup and a chicken Kabab instead of something with a thick sauce like a curry or Masala. Indian food is so flavorful you don't need those calorie dense sauces.
  • fittoday14
    fittoday14 Posts: 128
    Options
    If you're eating Indian food, I'd stick to eating everything but the naan bread. It's loaded with fat (from the butter) and carbs. Enjoy!
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    One night won't destroy your hard work. Go out enjoy it and don't stress over the calories. the following day get back to it.

This. And get in a workout in the morning if you can manage it. Build in an extra little deficit.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Tikka, tandoori, chapati, romali roti and yellow dhal are the safest bet if you really, really, really have to look into what you eat.
    I second everyone else's motion... enjoy - A meal wont destroy your efforts!