People say I'm losing weight too fast?

Options
May 20, 2014 8:23 PM
Ok...as you can see I have lost 125 pounds...,I am so proud of myself...I lost the weight in 9 1/2 months.....people keep telling me I am losing it too fast? Thoughts......

Replies

• CanadianCountryGirl1973
    CanadianCountryGirl1973 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    That's about 3 pounds a week, and "the experts" recommend 2. However, everyone's body is different. I myself lost 17 in the first 2 weeks.... I wasn't nuts about it, but my body just naturally sheds a lot of water retention first. I'm going to have to work here-on-out for every pound. That's just the way MY body works.

I think you nailed it in one of your first comments... you are proud of yourself.... so if you are getting healthy for YOU, why care what "people" say? How are YOU feeling every day? I would say that since you've been doing this for 9 1/2 months, then you're pretty comfortable with what you're doing, and your body would have told you by now if it didn't like what you're doing.

So ignore the naysayers..... stick with what's working for YOU!! (And congratulations!)
  • divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I don't agree. 9.5 months is approximately 40 weeks. If you lost 125lbs/40 weeks that's about 3 pounds a week. It is a little higher than the recommended 2 pounds a week, but definitely not out of the realm of real possibility.

People sometimes have a hard time with change and that has everything to do with them and nothing to do with you. Don't let anyone pressure you into "slowing down," stopping, or gaining weight back.

As long as you are comfortable losing weight - not starving, exercising, etc. I'd say you're good to go.

This is about you, not anyone else.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    For most of those people (the ones that really care about you) they are just not used to the change. They probably know that most doctors say 1-2 pounds a week is a healthy weight loss. However I think the more overweight you are, you should be able to lose more weight a week. I once lost 5 pounds a week and because of my weight the doctor wasn't concerned at all. Just reassure those who say you are losing weight too fast that you are doing it in a healthy manner. That should be enough to stop the comments. Be proud of yourself. It really is an amazing transformation. People will get used to the new you soon enough.
  • anviljenkins
    anviljenkins Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I heard years ago 1% a week was totally "safe" and doable :-)...........
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    1-2lbs/ week is just a general guideline. If people were very overweight they could lose more, especially in the beginning. I've known people where 5lbs a week was normal to start with. Just as on the flip side, if someone was 150lbs & had only 10lbs to lose, 2lbs a week would obviously be too much too quickly. You seem to be doing well. :)
  • nmcguier
    nmcguier Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting your micro and macronutrients, screw 'em. Good job on the weight loss!
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I love "guidelines" and "safe" weight loss amounts (not). I say good for you and as long as you're not doing anything crazy (like starving yourself), keep at it. Having dieted for years and using the "crazy" diets I always noticed that the weight came back with a vengeance once I stopped. That would be my only word of caution. You've achieved amazing results, be proud!
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating good, have enough energy to do what you want, you should be good.
    As you get closer to your goal weight the weight loss will slow down so ride the weight loss wave and enjoy it.
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I lost 3 pounds a week in the first half of my journey which has been about 11months , it just came off ...i was following my recommended calories and trying to eat back what I felt I needed . If I felt weak or hungry I ate I say as long as your fueling with food and not hungry rock that victory !
  • Varcolaci
    Varcolaci Posts: 15
    Options
    Girl they are just hating on you. I been in my program for 5 days and I have lost 8 lbs, with 50 more to go. I am being compulsive about my nutrition and workouts, so I know it is healthy loss. I think that when you are fatter, it comes off faster. As you slim down you lose it more slowly. You are doing great and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    May 20, 2014 8:23 PM
    Ok...as you can see I have lost 125 pounds...,I am so proud of myself...I lost the weight in 9 1/2 months.....people keep telling me I am losing it too fast? Thoughts......

Don't listen to them. You're doing great! The bigger you are, the faster you drop the pounds. When you get to be 30 lbs from your goal weight, THEN you'll want to watch it more and make sure you're still losing it in a healthy manner.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    No I dont think so, also the bigger you are the more it comes of faster or so it seems! As long as you are eating healthy and not starving yourself you are fine. Now if you are barely eating then I would say you better stop it now bc you will at sometime get hungry and over eat and then could gain it all back and more! Congrats! Seems you and I are about the same start weight and lost weight!
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    1-2lbs/ week is just a general guideline. If people were very overweight they could lose more, especially in the beginning. I've known people where 5lbs a week was normal to start with. Just as on the flip side, if someone was 150lbs & had only 10lbs to lose, 2lbs a week would obviously be too much too quickly. You seem to be doing well. :)

This.
  • NanzyBoek
    NanzyBoek Posts: 151 Member
    Options

This
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Do these same people never watch The Biggest Loser? They're being hyporcites if they do!

Not trying to be glib, but since you had a lot to lose you probably had weeks in the beginning where you might have lost more, say 5lb, and then evened out to a "safer" level of 1-2lb a week?

You've done fantastic!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great, and you should be very proud of yourself! You look great!
  • Aussie_in_PA
    Aussie_in_PA Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    As you get closer to your goals you may want to consider slowing it down a little to help with skin elasticity but if everything is in order with no major deficiencies... Everyone is different!

I like the target weight/fat loss table here: http://rippedbody.jp/2013/12/23/nutritional-hierarchy-importance-calories/
    Which explains it a little more but at the end of the day says everyone is different.

Good job so far! Excellent work
  • oChristyo
    oChristyo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Girl they are just hating on you. I been in my program for 5 days and I have lost 8 lbs, with 50 more to go. I am being compulsive about my nutrition and workouts, so I know it is healthy loss. I think that when you are fatter, it comes off faster. As you slim down you lose it more slowly. You are doing great and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

My thoughts exactly. You're doing great and keep up the good work. Congratulations !
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're losing too fast. You were over 300 lbs when you started and the heavier you are the faster you take it off at first. It's not even wildly faster than recommended.
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Heavier people lose it faster. The loss will probably slow down the closer you get to your goal. When you get really close, it will probably get extremely frustratingly slow. Screw what other people think. Everybody thinks they have the right to comment on women's bodies.....Too thin, too fat, losing too fast, gaining weight, letting herself go, just needs a tan, maybe if she dyed her hair.....etc.

I'm 4 and a half months pregnant and everyone feels compelled to note how HUGE this baby is going to be because my belly is already so big. That's me. When I'm pregnant, my belly pops out fast and I get really big fast. My body, my business! I'm just tired of all these posts where women especially are saying they get rude comments from family and friends concerning their weight loss. Usually it's where their friends and family are saying "you've gotten too thin, you need to gain some back" when they are a perfectly healthy BMI. Well, I'm not tired of the posts- I'm tired of the judgmental attitude of our society that makes it okay to keep a running commentary going on every other woman's body.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!