Water - Stupid question!!

Options
OK this may seem like a stupid question, but when MFP says drink at least 8 cups of water - how big are these cups (preferably in ml)?

Replies

• skyeny
    skyeny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    1 US cup = 237 ml
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    8oz.

BTW, if I only drank 8 oz a day I'd be severely dehydrated with the activities I follow. I make sure my urine stays the color of lemonade (not apple juice) and that I'm going several times a day. A Dr. can give you a set amount and how to measure it if you start to develop dehydration symptoms or a urinary tract infection (frequently caused by dehydration.)
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    It is....
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    One 8 oz cup equals 1 glass. Not sure how many ml, and I'm too lazy to find out. sorry. lol The 8 - 8 oz cups can include ANY liquids, in food, soup, etc., not just water.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It's a measuring cup amount, 8 oz, like how you would measure flour, sugar, etc.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    One 8 oz cup equals 1 glass. Not sure how many ml, and I'm too lazy to find out. sorry. lol The 8 - 8 oz cups can include ANY liquids, in food, soup, etc., not just water.

Well, if MFP wanted us to track any liquid, I'm pretty sure it would say liquid instead of water. I believe the goal is 64 oz of water a day, regardless how many other liquids you consume. Water, plain ole water.

Lots of threads about this in the forums -- many opinions also.

Water is pretty much water.
  • manby1973
    manby1973 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks All.

I'm in the UK - and we measure liquids and solids differently - hence wanting to know the volume in ml. I have been counting my pint of water as 2 glasses, which is about right.

Thanks again
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Right, which is why the water in any liquid counts. As long as you get enough liquid to be hydrated it doesn't matter.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

Right, which is why the water in any liquid counts. As long as you get enough liquid to be hydrated it doesn't matter.

I probably shouldn't reply and I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but I do honestly believe that the intention behind drinking 64 oz of water a day is for more than hydration. Obviously any liquid will keep us hydrated. Drinking more water when eating at a deficit seems to have weight loss benefits from what I can tell. Like I said, many discussions and disagreements all over the web regarding this.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

I probably shouldn't reply and I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but I do honestly believe that the intention behind drinking 64 oz of water a day is for more than hydration. Obviously any liquid will keep us hydrated. Drinking more water when eating at a deficit seems to have weight loss benefits from what I can tell. Like I said, many discussions and disagreements all over the web regarding this.

If you aren't trying to be antagonistic maybe stop correcting everyone who disagrees with your opinion about what MFP intends.

Water is great. But all liquids hydrate you. Be sure to stay properly hydrated. There is no magic benefit to water. Only that it's calorie free and a great source of hydration. But dropping a tea bag in it does not suddenly change it to anything, other than tea. You're still hydrated drinking it.

but i heard that the tea turns to fat, which weighs less than muscle, but still.

should i be concerned?
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

If you aren't trying to be antagonistic maybe stop correcting everyone who disagrees with your opinion about what MFP intends.

Water is great. But all liquids hydrate you. Be sure to stay properly hydrated. There is no magic benefit to water. Only that it's calorie free and a great source of hydration. But dropping a tea bag in it does not suddenly change it to anything, other than tea. You're still hydrated drinking it.

but i heard that the tea turns to fat, which weighs less than muscle, but still.

should i be concerned?

I thought the tea helped you loose weight, I saw it on Dr. Oz, it plays at the gym when I do my cardio!
  • skullshank
    Options

should i be concerned?

I thought the tea helped you loose weight, I saw it on Dr. Oz, it plays at the gym when I do my cardio!

you might be right.
    was it something about jumpstarting your metabolism?

i dont think herbal teas can do this though.

something about the caffeine maybe?

but what about the teas like raspberry? wont they have sugar from the fruit? and will it have the ketones? maybe they cancel each other out!
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

should i be concerned?

Only green tea.

From Peru.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

should i be concerned?

you might be right.

but what about the teas like raspberry? wont they have sugar from the fruit? and will it have the ketones? maybe they cancel each other out!

Has to be green tea or the magic wont work.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

The only weight loss benefit might be that water can be satiating for some (staving off hunger), leading to a more consistent calorie deficit.

The intention behind drinking 64 oz. of water comes from an old medical standard that countless studies have shown isn't necessary. As long as you're hydrated, you're good. The number isn't necessary unless you desire to track it (which I do simply because I'm anal) or need help keeping track of how much you drink.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

should i be concerned?

you might be right.

Bullies....

And now that Firstsip girl is here, I heard about her on another thread...
  • skullshank
    Options

should i be concerned?

Only green tea.

From Peru.

what is it about peruvian green tea?

is this the type that those big cats poop out and then people make tea from it?

ive heard that stuff can really help in my weight loss journey
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

should i be concerned?

you might be right.

Bullies....

And now that Firstsip girl is here, I heard about her on another thread...

QM4V96V.gif
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends 8 - 8oz cups . However, several folks follow the method of dividing your body weight in half and drinking that many ounces of water a day. For example 150lb person would in turn want to drink 75oz daily, or just over 9cups.