Trouble activating glutes

Options
I have no problem activating my glutes during body weight squats, but I recently started weighted squats (brand new, so just 45lb bar) and I cannot feel them working. I feel it all in my quads. I'm doing 5 sets of about 5-7 reps.

I've tried squeezing my glutes, pushing through my heels and imagining myself "spreading the floor" as I push up. Despite this, I have not had success feeling any burn or DOMS in my *kitten*. What gives?? I specifically started squatting to work on building up a butt, so it is imperative that I figure this out. :D

Do I need to go down in weight??

Replies

• FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have no problem activating my glutes during body weight squats, but I recently started weighted squats (brand new, so just 45lb bar) and I cannot feel them working. I feel it all in my quads. I'm doing 5 sets of about 5-7 reps.

I've tried squeezing my glutes, pushing through my heels and imagining myself "spreading the floor" as I push up. Despite this, I have not had success feeling any burn or DOMS in my *kitten*. What gives?? I specifically started squatting to work on building up a butt, so it is imperative that I figure this out. :D

Look into Bret Contreras' website for info and ideas. His book Strong Curves has great exercises for glute activation.

Also look into nia shanks, t-nation and getglutes.com for more info on this.
  • glitterkelly
    glitterkelly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've checked these sights out. Someone else had recommended the Bret site.

It has been very helpful in figuring out which exercises target glutes. I just need to figure out what I'm doing incorrectly in the squat. I'm really wondering if I need to go down in my weight in order to feel glute activation. Or maybe its working and I just can't feel it???
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Try a wider stance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options

when i started weighted squats, I started w/2.5 lb plates under my heels to get me used to getting my butt WAY BACK and forcing my glutes to do all the work. this was an old trick my ex taught me. Haven't needed them since.
  • CoadyMarie
    CoadyMarie Posts: 165
    Options
    I just started Stronglifts about 3 weeks ago and I've been having the same problem with my squats. Today I tried a wider stance and pointed my toes out more and could feel my glutes/inner thighs working a lot harder, whereas before it was all quads. I did have to drop my weight a bit since those muscles aren't as strong as my quads yet.

I'm interested to hear other suggestions from more experienced lifters; I'd really like to get my form right while I'm at a relatively low weight.

ETA: I'm going to try that plates-under-the-heel trick
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Also, stand sideways in a mirror and make sure you haven't modified your form w/the extra weight. make sure you have that 90degree angle down...you may be bringing your knees over your toes w/out knowing it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    How deep are you going? the deeper the more ham and glute activation, try *kitten* to the grass (ATG squats)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Also, stand sideways in a mirror and make sure you haven't modified your form w/the extra weight. make sure you have that 90degree angle down...you may be bringing your knees over your toes w/out knowing it.

Need to go past 90 deg to target glues and hammies
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Widen the stance a little, point the toes out a little, and go deep. If you aren't feeling it in your glutes and hamstrings, you need to try to go deeper.

Practice getting below parallel with the 45 pound bar. Then pause at the bottom for a second or two, squeeze the glutes and go back up. Depth takes practice.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Erickkirb pretty much covered it. Have someone check your form or spot you.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Try a wider stance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yeah, I was thinking OP's form might be a little off.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    wider stance and deeper squat. If you're only going parallel you're really not going to engage the glutes all that much...get your *kitten* to the grass and you will feel it in your glutes and hammies.

Your form likely needs a little tweaking too going from body weight to weighted squats. Also, are you doing low bar or high bar?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Go ATG if you aren't already.

Also, DOMS isn't an indicator of an effective workout.
  • tsalagi82
    tsalagi82 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just finished this workout, and OMG my glutes are shaking they're so sore already!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRuB0rPB9Zs
  • VictoriaJames12
    Options
    Try practicing body weight squats facing a wall with your toes a couple inches away from the wall. Make sure your toes are facing only slightly outwards), knees driving out and that your hip crease is below the knee at the bottom of your squat.

Gradually move closer to the wall until you can do the squat with your toes touching the wall. This will force you to stand upright, but most importantly hitting the hip crease below the knee depth will activate your glutes.
  • wolfie640
    wolfie640 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with my barbell squat , stalled at 75kg 3 x 8 reps. Mainly due to 2 iffy knees and an iffy ankle . Now doing variations with sumo squats, dumbbell squats and goblet squats which seem to be activating the target muscles nicely with a body weight 21 squat (7 x lower range of motion , 7 x mid range and 7 full squats) thrown in. Might be worth mixing it up a bit?!
  • PixieAdele
    PixieAdele Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    i agree with eric. deeper squat really activates *kitten* muscles, just below 90 degrees then you will feel it. I was doing it wrong for a while and adding weight and thinking why is this so easy!? I wasnt going low enough. remember to push your *kitten* out behind you while keeping chest up and proud too.

for me, a wider stance works my inner thighs more than my bottom so I would keep your feet ~hip width apart-ish.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't notice it in my butt till I"m driving up out of the hole and if I have serious weight- meaning like 70-80% of my one rep max.

anything under that and I cannot make a strong connection- form is fine- I'm not overly concerned with OMGOSH I CAN"T FEEL THEM WORKING...

as long as I'm still doing the work- and I"m staying in alignment- so be it- I can feel the stretch- but it's like doing a curl or a back movment where I can feel and focus on a contraction - it's different.

I wouldn't sweat it tremendously.

But I would double triple and keep checking form to make sure that's correct.

also- try pause squats- I like doing those with moderate weight- and I go ALLLLLL the way down so I'm in the "grok squat" or true *kitten* to grass sitting on my heals- count to five then drive up. Really brings attention to the butt.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I don't always feel it in my glutes as I'm doing it, but they sure do get sore later, so I know I'm working them. Does your butt get sore after, or just your quads?