Question for Wii Fit Users

Options
I recently received the Wii Fit and have enjoyed using it for exercise but it is not really challenging enough. What I usually do is go into the "Wii Fit Routines" and choose the options that allow you to see how much time it will take...I've been choosing the option where you get three exercises in each category and have been choosing the more difficult "Leaner Mii" and "Overindulged" etc. categories. My problem is that when it selects the exercises with the personal trainer, usually she only does 10 reps for each exercise, and I think I need to do more because when I do lunges, etc. I barely feel it and I know I am doing it right because my balance stays in the spot where it belongs. Any suggestions to increase the difficulty level on this?

Thanks!
Kathy :)

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I've never felt like I'm getting a per se "workout" using the Wii. Yes I do dance with it, and that gets my HR up, but even the workouts led by the trainer were fairly simple and I did them at the intense level. I think it is mostly meant just to get you off the couch and moving. And doing it daily will burn calories. Maybe you could pause the game do some extra reps then start it back.

I had the active and it was a little bit better.
  • lindzylou7
    lindzylou7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    While I liked the Wii Fit - I quickly saw that I needed to upgrade and got the Active program - way more challenging.
  • MissLisa62TX
    Options
    You might try adding weight. Wrist and/or ankle weights to increase the dificulty.
  • writer4him
    writer4him Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    what is the "active" program? Is that a setting on the Wii Fit CD or is it a different CD/Game that you have to purchase separately?

Thanks again!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I tend to do the Wii Fit running or Step for 30 minutes and the EA Sports Active. Those two together is a nice workout, and a decent burn. But yea, those Wii Fit Routines by themselves aren't quite enough. But nobody says you can't do them back to back!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    EA Sports Active (aka Wii Active, Active, etc.) comes in original and 2, both are probably available used at GameStop, and it is a separate game.
  • wkorsten
    wkorsten Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If I remember right on Wii Fit, you have to do the exercise several times before the program will allow you to do the advanced version of the exercise. That way the program can make sure you're doing it right and gage the intensity. Just keep doing the different exercises and you'll be able to do more.
    I usually click on each exercise individually instead of the customized exercise routines and right before you click on start, there should be a couple of drop-down menus of the intensity of the exercise you can do, how many reps, etc.. But, I didn't think you can do the advanced version until later. I've been using Wii Fit Plus and the original for a while. I usually do the free run and put the remote in my pocket and go and jog. The program wouldn't let me do more running until I had done the beginner times.
  • sarahsanchez79
    Options
    Last year I started using Wii fit plus. It was the only workout I felt comfortable doing in front of the hubby and kids and the workouts/games aren't intense so it was perfect for me. I lost about 10 pound in 2 months but I would only do the exercises that were worth more METS (advanced step, boxing, hula, etc.) and did them repeatedly so I would end up working out at least 45 minutes. Also, there is one step game on there that you can do while watching tv; it's really helped me get a workout in while the kids are watching their show. That game goes in 10 minute increments and even though the step is low I felt it. My mother also had bought some package that had weights and lifters and said it made it more challenging, but I haven't tried it.

Recently, my best friend got biggest loser for her wii and said it was a workout so I got it for my xbox and it worked me! I also got Wii Active and I liked that. Of course, with that one some exercises are more challenging than others. However, if you have chubby thighs (like I do), the leg strap might not fit. Soon I'm going to get Wii Active 2, I heard that was good.

Hope that helps!
  • wkorsten
    Options
    The reason why I like Wii Fit Plus better than Active is on the Wii Fit you can weigh yourself and I like the free run exercise. But, I do agree that the Wii Fit and Plus isn't tough enough for me. The only reason why I don't like the Active is it doesn't register me well enough. I'll be touching my toes and then it will tell me to go back up and I will do that, but the avatar doesn't pick me up that I've done that. Very irritating. Another reason why I don't like Active is not being able to weigh yourself. Another problem with active is I don't like the drills because they don't keep me interested. I would rather play a real game of tennis. I don't like that the active hurts my knees and thighs too much. I've tried the first biggest loser game and I didn't like it. The graphics didn't look impressive, the game didn't register me at all, and other problems. I didn't like JM ultimate 2010 that much because of the same problem. I'm just wondering whether I should try Active 2; or NFL training camp; or the BL Ulitmate challenge for the Kinect because I just graduated and I don't want to waste my money. What do you guys think?
    I do have a Wii I can use and I have the xbox, but without the Kinect Sensor. I would like to get the sensor so I can play some more games, but I'm trying to decide whether it would be worth it.
  • writer4him
    writer4him Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If I were to get the Active game used at GameStop, and it didn't come with a band, would I still be able to use it?
  • wkorsten
    Options
    I think you can get away with not having the band on the active on a few exercises, but I think you have to have some type of resistance on a good portion of the game. I haven't played the Active in awhile so you might check with someone else too.
  • Fineraziel
    Options
    If you want to do more reps, you have to select each individual exercice in the "Exercise" section. So a lot of loading and time lost... :( You can also build your own routine using "My program", entering the same exercise several times in a row, but again there will be loading time and the game wont allow you to do several reps on the same leg before switching to the other leg. Big lack in the Wii Fit game! :( That's why I dont use it anymore and rely on DVDs instead for strenght training. ;)