Ready to give up today!

Options
I weighted in today and gained 3 lbs. I just don't get it, I have been eating under my calories on most days. It feels like my mid section went down, but my scale is saying otherwise. I'm just so frustrated.

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Gained 3 lbs in what period of time? Short term fluctuations are simply changes in water weight.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    It could be sodium, stress, menstrual cycle or many other things. Don't let the scale dictate your future. Choosing to give up is not going to accomplish your goals. So put the scale away for a week, and keep going.
  • tanya7768
    tanya7768 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It's not that time of the month. I'm considering that maybe it's a sodium issue. I'm literally in tears. Starting to wonder if I have a thyroid issue or something.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    It's almost never a thyroid issue. How long between weigh ins did you gain the 3 lbs?
  • tanya7768
    Options
    A week. I usually weigh in on Wed.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Tough love.... And what would giving up accomplish?

One thing no one's commented yet is your admission that you're not 100% with logging - that's got to stop if you want success. And yes, it's very likely that the gain is just water weight since your sodium was pretty high yesterday and you've noticed your stomach is smaller. But you'll never know for sure if you don't log accurately and consistently. No more skipping weekends.

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    You've been a member for awhile. So how long on this current weight loss plan?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JennyJ2015
    JennyJ2015 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I weighted in today and gained 3 lbs. I just don't get it, I have been eating under my calories on most days. It feels like my mid section went down, but my scale is saying otherwise. I'm just so frustrated.

dont give up hun it will come off give it time i had the same issue ive been working out for 9 weeks and no weight loss ive lost 7.5 inches just take a second look at your diet and continue to work out it will come off and measure yourself you body composition will change
  • tube_26
    tube_26 Posts: 1
    Options
    Start taking your measurements every week; esp your waist. There were plenty of weeks I was so disappointed when I got on the scale and lost 0 or gained. but then measured my waist and lost 1/2-3/4 of an inch. Totally changed my outlook on the previous week. Weight is just a number, body composition if much more important. Keep going and don't get frustrated.
  • tanya7768
    Options
    The days that aren't logged is because I was sick for a bit and really didn't eat. Or I was not home with access to my pc.
  • tanya7768
    Options
    Also was wondering if I should change my activity level to light instead sedentary?
  • tanya7768
    Options
    This makes me feel a bit better. I hope it's the case.
  • kika_mckee
    kika_mckee Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    What ever you do don't give up! There are always going to be bumps in the road, you can do this!
  • tanya7768
    Options
    Ty every one , I'm just so frustrated.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. That is why I don't weigh myself. I use my clothes to see my progress. Numbers either upset or elate. I may weigh in once a month to see the change. Don't give up!!! There are so many reasons why the gain. Look at your food diary and see if you ate differently from week to week or maybe you did not exercise as much. For what ever the reason for the gain it is a minor set back and is going to happen from time to time. Next week if you weigh in the weight + some will probably be gone. I know when I get PMS I will have a gain but it comes right off the next week if I stick to my plan. Good luck!!!
  • tanya7768
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

3 weeks this time around
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

3 weeks this time around
    If you're re starting exercise, it's not uncommon to GAIN weight for up to 3 weeks due to fluid retention.

IDEA Fitness member
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?
  • tanya7768
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?

I do