How do I learn strength training?

keobooks
keobooks Posts: 92 Member
At the Y, they have tons of cardio classes, so I'm doing cardio 4 days a week now. But there is nothing for strength training except maybe a class called the ab lab.. But I don't know what that is to be honest. The weight machines look scary to me. I've never used them and I don't have the slightest idea how much weight to lift. If I knew that, I'd still have no idea how to move the weights around to get to the right weight. Then, I would have no idea if I was doing an exercise right or not. I am 100% clueless. What do I do?

Replies

• rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    I work out at my local gym and I am starting with free weights...starting I would say 5 to 10 lb weights. If they feel very light then increase the lbs.
    Also, the machines may look scary but really they aren't...I would just make sure you check what weight is on the one you will be using beforehand...the person before you may have had it on very high weight....you want to start slow.
    Whether it's free weights or machines you want to start slow, increase your sets/repetitions once you are comfortable and you want to lift weights that you are also comfortable with...just not too comfortable...I don't think you should strain too hard to life but on the other hand you don't want to use too light of weights....I wish you all the best!!
    Cardio is great but I found that if I include weights in my workouts I feel stronger and look better!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Get the book Starting Strength. It is a complete guide on everything you need to know about how to perform the most basic functional lifts with free weights and guides you along on a good program (one of the best) to follow as a beginner. Do it now before you fall into the bad habits most people who start out on machines (which is a bad idea) often do.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    No one is born with this knowledge so it's good to ask. Now, the next step is asking those more likely to help.

You mentioned the Y; in my experience, they have people in charge (coaches) of the resistance training areas. Talk to one, book an appointment to be shown how to use the equipment safely and effectively, as well as the particular protocol for your gym.

Good luck! We all were in that situation once!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Get the book Starting Strength. It is a complete guide on everything you need to know about how to perform the most basic functional lifts with free weights and guides you along on a good program (one of the best) to follow as a beginner. Do it now before you fall into the bad habits most people who start out on machines (which is a bad idea) often do.
    i second this. SS is a pretty good read for beginners, teaches the major compound lifts and how to build upon them
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    starting strength
    new rules of lifting
    strong lifts

google compound lifts.
  • Don't you have a friend/family member/gymbuddy that is into strength training?

The best way to learn is to have someone to learn it from and someone who can teach you how to perform the exercise right, I don't think you can learn that from a book.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    I agree, asking a trainer (or friend who's very experienced in strength training) to teach you how to properly do the moves is very important. Books like New Rules of Lifting for Women can also be helpful, but nothing beats a real person.

Another option is using phone apps. My favorite one currently is Full Fitness which costs several dollars and is the most popular strength training app on iTunes now. You can search for moves by body part, and each comes with photos of how it should progress (most also have videos of real people performing them). There are preset routines you can follow, plus you can log how much you lifted and how many reps. This would be a great convenient tool to use once you learn from someone in person.

Happy lifting! :)