Something isn't working! HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    As far as sodium, Chinese food is very high in sodium, as are a lot of processed food. I also noticed you included calories for mashed potatoes (boxed) as packaged and not as prepared. If you are estimating and not weighing you could be under or over estimating your calories. That being said I also noticed a lot of chips and dips ( also high in sodium) and very low (for you) calories this week. I also noticed that you are no where near meeting your daily protein.
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm in the broke-can't-afford-stuff boat as well. We're trying to make a conscious effort for it though. For example buying a thing of bananas or getting veggies on sale is less than some of the bigger brand name cereals like Captain Crunch. Its tough but the quality of food plays a huge effect on whats going on with ya. Frozen can work, and I've even stooped low enough to eat canned just avoid the sauces or veggies canned in syrup.

Chicken can be cheap and beef when its on sale. You could also go for the less ideal types of meat like gizzards. Also trying to get in fish is a great choice! Hell, I'm getting myself a rod and my fishing license so I can just go fishing for my meat rather than buy it from the store and I'd love to go small game hunting but I'm not sure if I can afford that this year. Come this fall I'll be hunting for my meat and I'm hoping some good venison will last through much of the year. Especially since your a fellow Michigander we have wonderful hunting/fishing resources here =]

Eggs are one of my biggest ways to get in my protein because I usually can't afford much meat but eggs are cheap. So are beans. Tomorrow I'll be making a mixed bean soup which cost me only $2 for a bag with seasoning. We don't have any meat to throw in with it but with a lot of seasoning hopefully it'll taste good and last me for a couple days. Plus beans will give you a good amount of fiber. =]

Really the types of food that you're eating plays a huge effect not just if its under a calorie limit. I'm guilty of that too! Haha.

Hope that helps some! Feel free to add too! =3
  • Alyssa100513
    Alyssa100513 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone. I am just going to have to try to work on what I am eating and keep going. It is just hard on a budget to get all of the right foods (all while making sure my husband doesn't have to suffer). I will keep trying and hopefully things will get better.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I started at your weight a little over a year ago. I'm vegetarian so I don't eat meat at all, and I don't eat much dairy except for yogurt and an occasional egg. or a little cheese. I tend to make big batches of stuff I can eat all week, like soups & chili, and now that the weather is warmer I eat lots of salads. A big box of organic baby salad greens is less than $5 and can last me 5 or 6 meals with veggies and beans, and just apple cider or red wine vinegar for dressing. Changing what you eat is a huge part of losing the weight & keeping it off forever. One serving of chips is probably only 14 chips and the dip is maybe a tablespoon... I can have a huge salad for the same cost and calories & it keeps me full longer. It's tough to make the changes at first, but it becomes habit when you do it regularly. Here is a link to my 1 year progress post with more tips:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1246548-1-year-progress-with-lots-of-pics

Feel free to check out my diary for ideas & send me a friend request if you'd like. Good luck to you!
  • ximenia
    ximenia Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Your food choices aren't spectacular, and honestly getting healthy non processed food is cheaper than buying processed food.

You should look into weekly meal prep. There are a lot of articles on it online to help you get started. Basically you go food shopping and buy meat, veggies, eggs etc. No processed crap, it will save you a ton of money and you'll feel fantastic after a while.

Then you cook it all and prepare it all on 1 day of the week of your choice, I do sunday. Put it in tupperware and freeze some of it, store some of it in the fridge for easy access.

By doing this I cut my food bill in half, and I don't have to buy lunches while I'm out at work so that's even more money saved. Because the food is already prepped and ready to be eaten or reheated I don't find myself snacking on bad things like chips and dip etc, if I want a snack I have fruits and veggies ready to go and if I really don't feel like that I'll eat a hardboiled egg.

For an example of what I got last time I went shopping:
    Chicken breast, ground turkey, ground beef, mushrooms, oranges, belle peppers, sweet potatoes, grapes, bananas, eggs, carrots and some greek yogurt.

I spent less then 50 bucks, have enough food to feed me and my boyfriend for at least a week and I won't spend any extra on food while I'm at work because I prepped and can pack a lunch.

Don't even worry so much about counting calories at first, just completely cut out the processed food and you will see the weight start to drop, once you hit a plateau from that you can worry about counting calories.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Your husband might balk a little about the change - different foods than he's used to. But ultimately he'll probably be thrilled. More flavor. I'm not creative/talented when it comes to cooking. Things must be simple for me to even try. If you have a slow cooker, then getting some cheap ground beef and using it to make a pot of chili is a great meal and low cost. Browning, draining the fat off the ground beef removes much of the fat and reduces the calories. Google an article on ground beef by the Hillbilly Housewife, for detailed calorie info. $3-6 for ground beef (depending on how big a batch you want to make), $3-6 for a few cans of beans, tomatoes. Store brand is fine though I do pick up the reduced sodium varieties. A couple packs of seasoning or make your own w/ chili powder, garlic powder, etc.

If you can experiment a little and find a few meals where you can both eat - it will make the whole process easier. Some days I eat one thing and let the kids & hubby fend for themselves, but in general I'm not going to make 2 different meals. I control my calories by portions. I typically take about 1/2 of what Hubby has. Even though he's working to lose weight also, he needs more calories than I do. I honestly don't do much cooking these days - crazy schedule where Hubby works Mon-Thur evenings, I get home at 6-6:30pm and with various errands I'm only cooking 1-2 of those nights.
  • Iwilldothis21
    Iwilldothis21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Good for entering your own recipes. Unfortunately without the food scale they are bound to be 'off' also. You may want to edit (for your benefit) your recipes once you have the food scale so you can base your serving size on weight. An easy way is to weigh the entire finished product, such as 2200 grams. Divide it by 100 (in this case 2200/100 =22) and make the recipe 22 servings of 100g each. Then when you take your portion, weigh it. If its 175 grams, enter 1.75 servings.

Thanks for this! That's exactly what I was looking for! :flowerforyou:
  • Will32283
    Will32283 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    @SarahMS79: I eat what you call junk food. Chips, Ice Cream, Cerea, fast food and I have lost 77lbs. So do I need to stop eating total crap?
  • shyfranklinstein
    Options
    Okay to start, lean protein sources are a MUST. Peanut butter is more of a fat than a good protein source. you need balance and consistency. Be HONEST with yourself and how active you are when setting calories. Get a good, electronic food scale, weight and measure everything. I am ALL for daily treats here and there as I do partake in flexible dieting however 85% of my intake daily is fresh, whole, nutrient foods.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    http://iifym.com/bmr-calculator/
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Biggest thing, be realistic, be persistent, be consistent, and be creative.
    At home workouts for cardio are fantastic, I use them to get my heart rate up daily and use a lot of these http://www.drsarasolomon.com/category/workouts/ when I cannot make it to the gym. I hope that helps!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Your food choices aren't spectacular, and honestly getting healthy non processed food is cheaper than buying processed food.

You should look into weekly meal prep. There are a lot of articles on it online to help you get started. Basically you go food shopping and buy meat, veggies, eggs etc. No processed crap, it will save you a ton of money and you'll feel fantastic after a while.

Then you cook it all and prepare it all on 1 day of the week of your choice, I do sunday. Put it in tupperware and freeze some of it, store some of it in the fridge for easy access.

By doing this I cut my food bill in half, and I don't have to buy lunches while I'm out at work so that's even more money saved. Because the food is already prepped and ready to be eaten or reheated I don't find myself snacking on bad things like chips and dip etc, if I want a snack I have fruits and veggies ready to go and if I really don't feel like that I'll eat a hardboiled egg.

For an example of what I got last time I went shopping:
    Chicken breast, ground turkey, ground beef, mushrooms, oranges, belle peppers, sweet potatoes, grapes, bananas, eggs, carrots and some greek yogurt.

I spent less then 50 bucks, have enough food to feed me and my boyfriend for at least a week and I won't spend any extra on food while I'm at work because I prepped and can pack a lunch.

Don't even worry so much about counting calories at first, just completely cut out the processed food and you will see the weight start to drop, once you hit a plateau from that you can worry about counting calories.

Totally agree with this - especially that buying healthy IS cheaper than buying processed, less healthy choices. Before my partner and I moved in together, we spent a lot of money on easy, cheap foods because we were on our own and didn't have that "combined" income. However, I realized now in living together buying whole, non-processed foods our grocery bill is less than what it was on our own.

However, I do agree meal prep is the way to go. And, I can vouch for having a partner who eats way differently than you do. I am with someone who can pretty much eat whatever (and usually does) and has the same weight all the time. I do my meal prep on Sundays - I make 5 breakfasts, 5 lunches and 5 days worth of snacks. I don't always make dinners because we like to eat together so I portion out what I am eating based on what is enough for me. I no longer feel like I have to eat, or keep eating, just because he is. And he snacks constantly, especially at night. I have learned to just not do it or have fresh snacks around the house so if I get hungry I have something other than the chips or cookies he is eating.

I noticed in your diary you have a fair amount of eating out meals, sometimes two in a day. From experience, cutting out eating out will more than give enough money to buy whole foods. It may be a hit now, but over time, it all adds up!

Also, WEIGHT LIFTING! As a bigger girl (I was about 309 when I started, at 5'9) I did cardio to begin with because I was so, so, so out of shape. But now, I do heavy lifting and I will be honest my weight isn't dropped nearly as much but my body composition is and the inches from my body are dropping too. A lot of women are afraid of weight lifting because they don't want to bulk but I am telling you you won't, unless you want to. Building muscle is the best thing because if you're only doing cardio when you stop, the calorie burn stops really quickly too. However, if you are building muscle then it takes energy to repair those muscles AND the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn at rest.

Finally, I don't use these calories as the end all, be all. I use them as a guide and stay within them most days. I find counting every calorie drives me absolutely crazy but I still like to know, and track, what I've put in my body.

Good Luck! And, OP, feel free to message me if you'd like to start meal prepping!