Best HRM to track calories burned?

Options
2»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I like my Garmin Forerunner 110 but it's best for running. Sometimes calorie count is inconsistent but I cross check it here and on ShapeSense's calculator.

Do you find the calorie thing on here to be accurate? I think it's total bollocks because it's based on formulas.

Also the nutrient values on this site stink. The calories this site says you consume are wayyyyy wrong.

HRMs don't use anything but a formula as well. All calorie count calculators are estimations and use formulas do they not?

This

OP - a great post to help answer questions
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • livinatthegym
    livinatthegym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    yeah. They all do, none account for intangibles, so they can be used to get a ballpark figure. I record calories burned as a measure of what I did the day...nothing else.
  • jec228
    jec228 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 which tracks calories burned. I love it but it's also my first and only HRM I have ever used - I would recommend it!
  • swalberg0625
    swalberg0625 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT7 is $71 and the FT4 is $63 on amazon. The price difference is so minimal. You can compare on Polar I know, but is there any reason someone bought the FT7 instead of the FT4? Is there much more that the FT7 offers?
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    HRMs don't use anything but a formula as well. All calorie count calculators are estimations and use formulas do they not?
    [/quote]

Actually, the more advanced models use much more refined data to measure energy expenditure. The upper end Polars base their calculations on your RMR, combined with your HR to give a highly accurate measurement.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Just got a really cool one at Walmart for $29. It has day/date/time/calendar, heart rate, cals burned, exercise timer, personal profile and chronograph. Very easy to program too (thank goodness cause I'm tech challenged). :smile:
    They also had pretty expensive ones as well, but they all pretty much tracked the same stats.

Is it the type you wear across your chest? My doctor had said those are the best. I am looking to get one too.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later on at gym
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I use a polar loop (a fitness band) which tracks steps and calories burned. I pair it with a chest strap HRM during workouts. I love it/them!
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    What do you think of the Polar FT60? Just looking at the reviews on it now.
  • No_excuses_nikki
    No_excuses_nikki Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i have the polar ft7 I LOVE IT!!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4. Reasonably priced, does exactly what you want. Worked like a dream for me.
  • swalberg0625
    swalberg0625 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I really was just interested in being able to track calories burned in regards to my heart rate. It was a toss up between the polar FT4 & FT7. I ended up getting the FT4 because the green colored one. I also looked at the FT60 but it just had more features that I don't think I would've used. Used mine for the first time yesterday and was happy with it. I would recommend buying from amazon instead of the Polar site. Much better price