Why is Shopping such a downer?

Options
Wednesday is my day off, and I decided I'd spend it at the mall with my 9 month old walking. Everything was going fine until I started trying on clothes.
The first pair of pants was a 22 from DEB. They were too tight. I cried. I get so upset over that, mainly because in the past week or so I've been eating healthier, exercising regularly, and I haven't gone down any. It's probably too soon, but lately shopping just depresses me. I can't fit in cute clothes, and it really hits me hard when I try something on and it's too small.

Anyone else feel this way/have a method for coping with it?

Replies

• laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    When I was bigger I would always buy a size that I knew would fit that way I wouldn't get depressed when I got home. But yes I hated shopping and feeling that way. I actually still do because I'm not exactly to my goal yet. You'll get there though and the feelings get better as you keep dropping sizes.
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Keep telling yourself that you want to make those changes and eventually they will show! You have a long journey ahead of ya! Keep it up and stick with it and results will begin to show!
  • chelamg12
    chelamg12 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Remember...day by day and this is a long slow process...you need to remember that it didn't take you over night to put on the weight and unfortunately it will not come off over night. Look to the future and how already you know you are eating healthier and exercising regularly...this is an important fact and I bet you already feel better. You want to be there for your son and be able to teach him by example. You are doing awesome...keep up the good work and remember STRENGTH!!!!!!!!!!!
  • pammio
    pammio Posts: 6
    Options
    Don't worry you will get there.
  • mckenzie330
    mckenzie330 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    yes, i definitely understand. I recently went jean's shopping (the worst) and I've been dieting/excersizing regularly and on Myfitnesspal for a month and a half. It seems like forever and I'm trying so hard...the jeans I am used to wearing were too big on me so I was excited, until I got to the store and found out I had only gone down a single size. Granted, that's exciting but I was expecting more....maybe two sizes or even three, because I've lost 24 lbs.

You have to remember that you are more than just the numbers on a peice of clothing, or that show up on the scale. Focus more on feeling good, and being healthy and happy. That's the best way that I cope. To remember that I am a person not just a size large, or a 22, or whatever the tag may read. After all, every brand runs differently in sizes- what might be a 22 with one pair could be an 18 with another. But that's besides the point.

Just keep at it and don't let the size discourage you! It's amazing that you have already taken the first steps towards a healthier you- which is not something just anyone will decide to do. Congrats on your first week and I wish you all the best.
    -Mckenzie
  • tuckerlocks
    tuckerlocks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I always grab a size that I know will be too big and also one I think is my size....try the larger one on first, it feels good to have something you can't buy because it's too big!!! Also, I try not to focus on the size so much as my comfort. I have cut the size tags out of my pants before just to not have to see it. Keep working hard and stay committed, you will get there!!
  • jmgodish24
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, and especially McKenzie. It's hard but I'll get there. Pants are really, really tough to buy because of the wierd size differences brand to brand, and DEB is a juniors store. I suppose since my body has changed since having a baby it just won't work with juniors cuts as well.

I think I'll avoid shopping for a month or so until I know for sure I've dropped some, that way I can try on those 22's and they'll be too BIG, instead of too small! :)
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've learned that (unfortunately) it takes more weight lost to go down a size when you're in the larger sizes than it does if you were a size 8 or 10. When I started, I was 215 lbs and in a tight size 16 (probably should have been wearing an 18). I didn't get to wear a 14 until I was under 185 lbs. That's a 30 lb loss before I could buy new pants! And it did suck and I felt discouraged when I kept trying on 14s and they didn't fit. But as I lost more weight, it took less to fit into a 12 (more like 15 lbs), and then even less for a 10 (10 lbs or so), and even LESS for an 8. So as you get smaller, you'll need to buy pants more often... lol. But dropping that first size does take the most weight loss, so keep it up! Soon you won't be able to keep up with buying new pants (thus the reason I own 3 pairs of size 8 pants and a size 6 and that's all the fits right now... haha).
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Remember, weight comes off your body at different places at different rates. I didn't really start losing off my hips and butt in a big way until I was down over 30 pounds. I was down multiple shirt sizes but still wearing the same pants, and then all of a sudden, the weight started coming off where I wanted to see it. I lost from head and feet towards my middle, with my butt being the last to shrink. It will happen, but it takes time and perseverance. I dropped from size 18/20 to size 14/16 the first 30-35 pounds I lost, and now at 52 pounds gone I am a size 8. Good luck, stick with it and it will happen! :smile:
  • lfondots
    lfondots Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yep! I hate shopping for cloths. You have started on the right track and think of the little things that are better. They definitely add up. It does take time but you will be there where you can get smaller cloths. I have a shirt that I bought that was a Large and it was skin tight. LOL. It is now a 'motivational tool'. I look at it and can't wait until I fit into it. Keep up the good work!
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm a positive person, do have my bad days! Try more often then not to take the positive out of any/all situations. In your case[this time] always use as a motivating tool & visualize what size your going to be at eventually. Just showing you where you need to go, use as such. You will acomplish your weight loss goal.PROMISE!:wink:
  • LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Don't focus too much on the numbers (sizes). Sometimes the same size, of different manufacturers, will be too big on me, too small, or just right. I just go by what fits nice, without dwelling on the actual size...I remove the tags anyway, because the bother my skin. Try not to define yourself as a number, think of yourself as an awesome individual instead.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Everything in a Juniors' sized store will be small and cut strange. Don't get mad at yourself if the clothes don't fit right. Think to yourself, "THIS looks bad. Better take it off," rather than, "I look bad." YOU are doing good things for yourself. Always remember that. The journey might take longer than you want, but you're still going to get there.
  • RonaZway
    Options
    Don't shop anymore! If you have made a decision to lose weight, then make a decision that you refuse to my your current size or bigger size clothes ever again! I know how you feel, I was once a tight size 22. It's a hard road, but very attainable. It's very normal not to move at first, so don't be discouraged!! Remember a few things,
    diet is 80 percent of your results,
    exercise is a must,
    Lower your carbs/all sugars and keep carbs all high fiber (brown rice, sweet potato, regular oatmeal, a fruit) totaling about 1 1/2 to 2 c. a day,
    Get in a good amount of protein to heal those exercising muscles!
    Veggies are a go!!! Any kind any time!!!
    eat small meals and snacks all through the day (about every 4 hours),
    drink about a gallon of water a day,
    Try not to eat out except for cheat meal (yes yes!! Have a one cheat meal and one cheat sweet a week. This is a life time change, not a diet!),
    be Leary of all white things and and anything with a sauce,
    grilled-steamed-boiled-broiled!!!
    Be prepared, I have all my food pretty much cooked or prepped to cook for my work week. To much time to think, stinks :P
    Good luck honey!!!!!
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Yes this is a pain. I will go and try on one or two things and be ok when they don't fit, but when it is over and over...sheesh!!! Not to mention, the worst is when you have a party or event and you are in no mood to shop, but have to, and can't find stuff. Just remember it will take a little time, but you WILL get there. Don't give up and don't get discouraged. Just keep trying as hard as you can :flowerforyou:
  • JordansMomma210
    Options
    I avoid clothes shopping like the plague (unless it's for Jordan!). I got really depressed around Christmas because I busted 3 zippers. Granted the jeans were a little old, and 2 were from a thrift store, but that was about rock bottom. I was able to mend the zippers on 2 of them, and one pair was especially sentimental to me. I'm going to have to do a lot of shopping when I move to KY from FL (need suitable winter clothes, lol!), and I also wear a 22. I really hope that by the time I need to get those close, I can grab a 20, or even 18! Just keep your chin up, honey!! Alivia will be running and you'll be running after her, with your awesome determination with this diet, the pounds will fall off!! Set a goal weight to meet before your next shopping trip--so you'll be surprised what you fit in to! LOVE YA!!!!!! :heart:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Just wait, shopping will be a crying experience for a while! I waited to get pants until the ones I usually wore were literally falling off. I tried on the next size down...still slid down my bum. I then tried 2 sizes down....they fit very loose. I tried 3 sizes down...they fit...I cried.
  • Winter23
    Winter23 Posts: 142
    Options
    Always keep in mind, the fist place you gain weight is the last place you lose weight. So if you your hips showed the weight gain first, it will be the last place you lose it from.. For me it's my stomach. And two c sections (the second being 5 weeks ago) and a gall bladder removal in 3 1/2 years doesn't help any. I see the weight loss first in my arms, legs and face.
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Jeany-Bop. I know how you feel.

:( We are in the same club of, "Used to be skinny biaches" and it hits me every time I see an old pair of pants that I can no longer fit anymore. (My size 0 pants from Old Navy) Or even my size 3 pants..

It will get better, it just takes time and perseverance. <3
  • amyelizabethrn75
    Options
    I am at the awkward phase where the size 14 at the womens store is just a bit too big (which is exciting), but the size 18 at the "regular" store is still too snug?!?!?!??! The exciting thing is that I am getting there.... that I am so close to buying clothes because I really like the clothes, not because they fit and don't look horrible! I can't wait to shop with my friends and buy clothes with them in the "regular" stores, instead of just watching them try on clothes...... so close, but Im not there yet