Working out at night YES OR NO?

Options
Hi!
somedays i dont have time to do it during the day,i was wondering if doing it at night would have any negative impact or something,or even will i burn less calories?
im talking about cardio.

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Time of day doesn't matter. Work out when you can.
  • apple_22over7
    Options
    Morning, noon, evening, night - doesn't make a difference, as long as you get it done.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    the only time that matters is the time you get there and put in.

no right or wrong answer
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Day night it doesn't matter to me. HOWEVER....there are some folks who say they get all hyped up and can't fall asleep. I dont' have that problem. I can fall asleep after drinking coffee.
  • Always_Belle
    Always_Belle Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The recommendation (I believe) is that you don't work out up to two hours before attempting sleep because it might prevent or keep you from sleeping well. That said, I have finished working out and within 15 minutes showered and fell asleep with no problems. Do it when you can do it - you'll be happier overall just to have completed it!
  • anngee71
    anngee71 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the most energy at night. I have gone to 11 am work out sessions and been totally wiped out but I will meet with my trainer at 8 pm and be totally pumped. Whatever works best for your body and schedule.
  • laceyann99
    laceyann99 Posts: 3
    Options
    I usually do most of my cardio at night. However ValGogo makes a great point, there are some nights after I am finished that I am just to energized to sleep. So, I try not to go too late because if I do, I miss out on valuable sleep. That is a great question and now you have me thinking about that :-)
  • Jaxsonjess
    Jaxsonjess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Night works better for me I eat a light supper when I get home and then I feel I have enough energy at 8, mornings I suck cause I have no energy!
  • justdance06
    justdance06 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ditto to what others have said, I've heard you shouldn't work out right before you go to sleep because you may have a harder time falling asleep.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Some people will have a hard time sleeping after they exercise. If I have to lift late I pop a benadryl afterwards or I'll be awake all night.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Unless it interferes with you sleep cycle, it's not a problem.
  • MrOjeh
    MrOjeh Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been doing late night workouts for years (I'm a night owl). I think my body is used to this method. On occasion, I'll do an afternoon workout, but I prefer late evenings.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    Burning 400 calories in the am- 400 calories gone
    Burning 400 calories in the pm- 400 calories gone
    Skipping the gym because it's nighttime- 0 calories gone
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if the whole working out before sleep only matter with women. After sex, men always fall asleep.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition