Logging frozen chicken accurately

Options

Replies

• amperry328
    amperry328 Posts: 21
    Options

ok... but no one is talking about chicken PATTIES but you. The OP is talking about chicken breasts, which is totally different. Patties have all kinds of grossness in them. That is where they put the parts they can't sell otherwise, which is why they are so high in fat.

Like I said, cooking meat, you lose water and fat, and in chicken BREASTS it is mostly water.

Yes. This.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It will lose calories in the cooking process.

Wha???

Cooking meat reduces 2 things. Water and fat. Since chicken has very little fat, all you are losing is the water which is zero calories.

My perdue chicken patties have 9g of fat in each patty, which equates to 81 calories. By cooking it, you lost some of this fat. Which is why it says on the package:

1 Patty frozen (180 calories)
    1 Patty cooked (130 calories)

ok... but no one is talking about chicken PATTIES but you. The OP is talking about chicken breasts, which is totally different. Patties have all kinds of grossness in them. That is where they put the parts they can't sell otherwise, which is why they are so high in fat.

Like I said, cooking meat, you lose water and fat, and in chicken BREASTS it is mostly water.

Cooking any meat you will lose both water AND fat (which was stated above) which is completely true. Therefore you are losing calories either way you look at it. Whether, its chicken, beef, etc.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

Wha???

Cooking meat reduces 2 things. Water and fat. Since chicken has very little fat, all you are losing is the water which is zero calories.

I'm assuming they are talking about weight. My frozen or raw 5 oz piece of chicken isn't really 5 oz. It's more like 4 or less.

But if the extra weight is just water because it is frozen, why would it be more calories since water is zero calories.....

It wouldn't actually be more calories if you ate it frozen but your numbers will be off if you weigh it frozen and go off that weight to determine the calorie count.

Edit: I suppose it would be slightly more calories when frozen because cooking does lose some fat but then again, no body is eating frozen chicken
  • dmenchac
    Options

Wha???

I'm assuming they are talking about weight. My frozen or raw 5 oz piece of chicken isn't really 5 oz. It's more like 4 or less.

But if the extra weight is just water because it is frozen, why would it be more calories since water is zero calories.....

It wouldn't actually be more calories if you ate it frozen but your numbers will be off if you weigh it frozen and go off that weight to determine the calorie count.

So the nutritional label is lying to me when it says its more calories frozen -_-

Many of you need to do some research.

You can lose up to 25% fat in the cooking process for any meat.

Which means less calories
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    I may be weird but I weigh all my chicken breasts and then cook them all at once. After they're cooked I put them in ziploc bags and write the weight of the pieces on the bag. Typically mine are all 10oz, 8oz, or 6oz, so if I grab a piece from the bag with a 10 on it, I know each piece is 10 ounces.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

Wha???

So the nutritional label is lying to me when it says its more calories frozen -_-

Yes I just realized that but why does it matter unless you're eating frozen chicken?
  • dmenchac
    Options

Wha???

Yes I just realized that but why does it matter unless you're eating frozen chicken?

Because I eat frozen chicken popsicles
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Wha???

So then, on the 13 oz of chicken breast I ate Saturday, there were 2 grams of fat. Frankly, I'm not concerned about losing .5 grams of fat when cooking.
  • dmenchac
    Options

Wha???

So then, on the 13 oz of chicken breast I ate Saturday, there were 2 grams of fat. Frankly, I'm not concerned about losing .5 grams of fat when cooking.

I wouldn't be either. But when I eat 3 chicken patties for my dinner- 27g fat total, it can certainly add up :D

Same with beef, etc.

This doesn't even matter but you should always weigh the food after you cook it and what not.
  • DirtyTrickster
    DirtyTrickster Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    So I tried using the USDA database and came to this page( http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/857?fg=&format=&offset=&sort= ) which confuses me.

Would the way I posted in the original post work?
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    So I tried using the USDA database and came to this page( http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/857?fg=&format=&offset=&sort= ) which confuses me.

search for the food on mfp. The USDA foods are the ones that don't have the * before them.
  • GauchoMark
    Options

I wouldn't be either. But when I eat 3 chicken patties for my dinner- 27g fat total, it can certainly add up :D

Same with beef, etc.

This doesn't even matter but you should always weigh the food after you cook it and what not.

ok, dmenchac, you win. does that help you feel better?

Again, no one is even talking about patties. Patties =/= breasts.

You only read half of my statement above about cooking meat loses fat and water. The other half said that chicken breast has very little fat, so you are losing mostly water. The only thing that changes is how much those calories weigh because of the water reduction.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options

You only read half of my statement above about cooking meat loses fat and water. The other half said that chicken breast has very little fat, so you are losing mostly water. The only thing that changes is how much those calories weigh because of the water reduction.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • dmenchac
    Options

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

I CANNOT STOP TALKING ABOUT CHICKEN PATTIES
  • DirtyTrickster
    Options

search for the food on mfp. The USDA foods are the ones that don't have the * before them.

Thanks for the tip about the *

So about 375 calories for 8oz og cooked chicken?

Also, I bake mine, would that be = to roasting?

For future reference, what would be the best way to search for a specific food? I would have never thought to type in Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

For future reference, what would be the best way to search for a specific food? I would have never thought to type in Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted

Another reason to weigh raw...searching "chicken breast raw" will bring a good entry up much quicker.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    a couple of things:

1) just use the cooked entry from the USDA database. Search for "Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted"

2) You usually lose about 75% of the weight when you cook meat, so you could do it that way.

Unless you eat your chicken rare or extremely overcooked, I wouldn't worry too much about not getting it exact. It will be close enough if you use the correct "cooked" entry.

assuming you mean that you lose 25% of the weight

I agree that with a chicken breast this is not going to amount to much.

I always just assumed that the nutrtion label was cooked, but it makes sense that its raw because people can prepare it in many differnt ways.

i don't understand why this has to be so hard though. just cook the chicken and weight it. log it with what you think is the closest thing you can find in the data base.

will it be 100% accurate? no, just like very thing else you log theres a good chance its off a little.

i was going to say that weighing it frozen and then cooked is pointless, but if you always bought the same brand and you always cooked it the same way, and you wanted to figure out exactly (really approximately in reality tho) how much water you lose each time, so that you could use that label rather then something out of the database... i guess that might be worth it.

otherwise, if your doubtful of the accuracy of cooked chicken in the database, average three outside sources and make your own food in the database.
  • DirtyTrickster
    Options

Another reason to weigh raw...searching "chicken breast raw" will bring a good entry up much quicker.

I don't mind weighing raw (or frozen), its the tallying up the total calories once cooked that is confusing to me
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    assuming you mean that you lose 25% of the weight

Yes, you lose 25%, retain 75%. Typo in my original post.

From a caloric standpoint, I equate roasting = baking = grilling. As long as you aren't breading it or loading it down with sauces, I'd think it would be close.

As far as finding things easier, I would never just type that in either. I'd probably type "chicken breast cooked" and see if that brings it up. If not, sometimes I go to http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list and search there, then copy and paste the title over to MFP.
  • Barmaidsah
    Barmaidsah Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    So I usually buy a large bag of Perdue - Frozen Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts and cook a bunch of it for the week. I then cut it up and put it in a container and pull from it for my daily lunch.

I've just realized that I need to weigh the chicken before cooking it to get the most accurate calorie content.

Problem is that all of the pieces are different sizes. Some are huge and some are tiny.

So I'm trying to figure out how to do this while weighing the chicken before cooking it.

Here is the only thing I can think of:

Weigh frozen chicken
    ex. 30oz frozen - 825 calories (27.5c per ounce frozen)

Cook chicken and reweigh
    ex. 23 oz cooked - 825 calories (35.9 per ounce cooked)

Separate into groups for lunch and try to calculate calories
    ex: 8oz cooked - 287c cooked

Does this look correct?

This is fine, it's easy. Either pre portion, or just weigh whatever you grab for your lunch and multiply by whatever you came up with for your calorie per ounce. Since *pretty much* only water will be lost in cooking, (I know, I know some fat as well, but in chx breast that will be negligible), you protien/carbs etc might be a touch off, but not much.