Calorie confused.

Options
Hey everyone,
I've been at this Low Carb diet for about a week. I've used this website (http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/) to give myself an estimate of what numbers i should be trying to stick to. I'm 21, 5'4" and 155lbs. It suggests about 1300 calories, 82 carbs, 131 protein, and 51 fat. This sounds reasonable to me but I keep running out of carbs/fat to eat but have plenty of calories left over. I'm not a big meat eater unfortunately, i can only eat a few ounces so i can't find myself eating plates of protein. I also get weird tastes with those sugar replacements so i generally don't eat/drink things with them in it.
Am i doing something wrong to have 600 calories left over and not much carb/fat to use? Are the carbs maybe Net Carbs?
Thanks for any help,
-Rini

Replies

• gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    I've been at this Low Carb diet for about a week. I've used this website (http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/) to give myself an estimate of what numbers i should be trying to stick to. I'm 21, 5'4" and 155lbs. It suggests about 1300 calories, 82 carbs, 131 protein, and 51 fat. This sounds reasonable to me but I keep running out of carbs/fat to eat but have plenty of calories left over. I'm not a big meat eater unfortunately, i can only eat a few ounces so i can't find myself eating plates of protein. I also get weird tastes with those sugar replacements so i generally don't eat/drink things with them in it.
    Am i doing something wrong to have 600 calories left over and not much carb/fat to use? Are the carbs maybe Net Carbs?
    Thanks for any help,
    -Rini

Why is this confusing? You're on a low carb diet.
  • RiniSixxx
    RiniSixxx Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Because you still need to meet your calorie requirements yet fat/carbs are almost used up at the end of the day ,and I still have quite a few calories to play around with. If i were to grab something else to meet with the calories, one of those other categories would be over the limit.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    If you're not a big meat eater then a low carb diet probably isn't for you. 1300 cals is already a low calorie diet so it would not be advisable to consistently have a lot of calories left over.

Do you like seafood? Low carb/fat shell fish or tuna may help add more protein without affecting your other macros.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If you're not a big meat eater then a low carb diet probably isn't for you. 1300 cals is already a low calorie diet so it would not be advisable to consistently have a lot of calories left over.
    +1. Consider switching to a "balanced diet". :)
  • RiniSixxx
    Options
    I actually do enjoy seafood. After a few ounces though, i do kept a bit squeamish if that makes sense? Same with egg. Maybe if it's mixed with something it'll be a bit easier, I'll try adding more fish in there, thank you.
  • RiniSixxx
    Options

Is there more of a benefit to balanced vs low carb? I chose low carb because i know that 90% of my diet was carb throughout the years so i figured kicking that in the bud would be successful.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I know it's different for each person but the key is to find a healthy plan that you could stick with for the rest of your life. If you are having issues with the low-carb plan now then are you going to maintain if for the rest of your life? The more restrictive the plan the less likely it will be maintained for many people.

If you insist on sticking with the low carb plan then try planning in advance by searching for foods online and adding those to your diary. This way you could print it down and take it to the supermarket each week.
  • RiniSixxx
    Options
    I definitely dont see myself sticking with low carb for life. I guess that's an issue.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Is there more of a benefit to balanced vs low carb? I chose low carb because i know that 90% of my diet was carb throughout the years so i figured kicking that in the bud would be successful.

successful for what?
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options

Its not what you eat, its how much and how often. Certain foods are not bad and to be avoided. I love rice and pasta and I still eat it, but now I weigh it out and I am mindful of serving sizes, rather that just blindly eating pots of rice loaded with butter.

It is so much easier this time around to stick with this, and I can actually see myself doing this for the rest of my life, because it really doesn't feel like a diet, when you can have your favorite foods and lose weight.
  • foodwotcher
    foodwotcher Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    do you like yogurt? i eat one called 'fage' everyday - it has 20g protein per pot and 100 cals :) and no fat/7g carbs.

or how about buying a protein shake, i use a vegan one from amazon and it has barely any fat/carbs but 40g protein and 150 cals x
  • RiniSixxx
    Options
    That's a good point. I think once this week's done I'll try switching to Balanced and giving it a go. Thank you!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I definitely dont see myself sticking with low carb for life. I guess that's an issue.

Yeah - that's in issue.

Instead of going all out low carb.....try a moderate approach. Take the percentages that MFP gives you and tweak them a bit. You can do this in stages. Up your protein 10%.....learn to meet that goal. Then if you still want more change.....up the goal again.

Weight loss is all about calorie deficit. Just reduce your overall calories and the weight will come off.

Maintaining lost weight ......however ......is about change. I don't do low carb because that's not how I will keep weight off. Learning to moderate portions and (for me) moving more....will keep weight off.
  • krysannboggs
    krysannboggs Posts: 48 Member
    Options

The problem with temporary fixes is just that... They're temporary. And once you come back off of something you cannot maintain, you throw your body out of whack and usually damage your health, like your metabolism, in the process. Small, sustainable steps are the way to go. And I agree... Greek yogurt is da bomb. Just be sure to get organic and full fat without any pectin crap ;)