Could someone please explain the benefit of a Fibit?

Options
What is the purpose/benefit of having a fitbit? Is it accurate, and does it help? I'm considering, but it's a pricey purchase and I want to be sure before I buy. For those of you who have one, does it help you? Do you think you've lost weight from the information you've received from it?

Replies

• kapetrosky
    kapetrosky Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing - interested to see responses.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I like it because it helps me be more active. My goal is 10,000 steps/day. If it's the end of the day and I see I only have 8500, I call my dogs and go for a quick walk around the block.

It's not magic, and it doesn't help me lose weight. Eating less than I burn is what helps me lose weight. It's just a fun little gadget.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A FitBit is a lot like a fancy pedometer. It tracks your daily activity and sleep patterns. Many potential benefits.

It doesn't have a heart rate component so cardiovascular workouts won't necessarily be accurate, non-step type workouts won't be included.. But if you have sedentary days as well as active days.....it's great to pin down what your average is. A FitBit syncs with MFP.....you can also just sync to their website & get progress reports. If this encourages you to move more....that's great. Many MFP users use a FitBit to determine maintenance calories.
  • piedpiper95
    Options
    It's a good way to generally track how active you are, day-to-day. I wore the Fitbit Flex for about 6 months, but I found it irritated my wrist whenever I got sweaty. It's not perfectly accurate, and it's not a heartrate monitor so the calorie estimates are just that, estimates. If you are a goal-oriented person and seeing only 3 lights instead of 5 at the end of a day will make you go take a walk then yes, this is the device for you. It's a decent tool to track activity, and syncs very well with MyFitnessPal. However, it is at the end of the day just a pedometer, so it's up to you to decide whether it would help motivate you to be more active. I found it very useful in motivating me to go for a walk, but it's not as good if you're going to the gym, and doesn't do much for elliptical, bike, etc. It's a pedometer, a very good, high-tech, pedometer.
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I love mine
    I have been wearing it everyday since I got it December 31st (my Christmas gift to myself)
    I'm very competitive and have several younger people in my fitbit friends list and if I see one them beating me with steps I go for a walk
    I have my minimum steps set to 15000 per day
    I have it sync with MFP and have had minimal problems

like another poster said it is a nifty gadget but not the end all be all of fitness
    it is nice to have and motivating for a beginner
    walking is my main source of exercise
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I like it because it helps me be more active.
    It's not magic, and it doesn't help me lose weight. Eating less than I burn is what helps me lose weight. It's just a fun little gadget.
    +1

It depends on your personality. I need something to motivate me, or I will sit at my computer all day and then come home and sit at it some more and only get up to eat.
    For me, it makes me move. If you're one of those people who can motivate yourself, then it's really not necessary.

You can always buy one from a reputable store and return it if you don't like it. I bought the Flex and returned it two weeks later to exchange for the One.
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I call it "the great motivator". It helped motivate me to move more and thus help me reach the number on the ticker below. I consider it one of many tools in my weight loss arsenal. Well worth it....in my opinion.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I purchased the Fitbit One when I hit an 8 month plateau at 210lbs (still had 60lbs to go!) After using the fitbit for about 2 weeks, and logging with MFP (great use because the two apps sync together) my weight FINALLY started to go down.

I discovered that I was not eating nearly enough. Now, though the fitbit did work...i questioned the accuracy of the device, especially during lifting. I then purchased the Bodymedia Armband. It is the same idea, except bigger, more accurate, and comes with a monthly subscription fee (which the fitbit did not have.)

I would highly recommend a 24/7 tracking device to anyone who is seriously losing weight and has mastered their calorie tracking.
    Fitbit, would have been good enough for me, if I was just walking/doing cardio type exercises.
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I got a FitBit one for Christmas, and I love it. The device itself does not *help* you lose weight, but you can track all your calories burned by walking/running and also track your sleep if you want. It can also motivate you to burn more calories or compete with your friends to see who can get the most steps. I feel naked without it now. You basically log your walking/step exercises on the Fitbit and then count calories and other exercises on MFP and they sync up together, it will adjust your calories automatically for you.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit motivates me to move more. I use it to calculate my calories burned because I feel it's more accurate than MFP's calculations.
  • harmonyhoran
    harmonyhoran Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My husband got me the Samsung gear fit so I guess this is kind of similar. I mainly use the pedometer to get my 10,000 steps and check my heart rate when im doing something active just to make sure im not going too hard out as Im pregnant. I can keep an eye on my heart rate while recording an exercise such as walking or running. I havnt tried tracking sleep or anything but it sounds like the fitbit can do this too. What does it actually tell you, how many calories you burn while you're asleep? im not currently counting calories anymore so personally I don't need all the details but its good for motivation and seeing how many steps I get during the day even if Im just inside with my active 2 year old. It will be interesting to see how my average steps change as I get more pregnant.
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit zip. Wore it for a while. At the time I thought it was great but after a while I started to forget to wear it and before you knew it I just left it in my drawer. I do still workout and I bet if I started wearing it again maybe I'd get more active as I sit in an office all day.

It definitely has a benefit since it makes you aware of how sedentary you may be.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I am on my third device. In July I bought the Fitbit Flex. I'm a couch potato and pretty much don't exercise. I found it motivated to get my 10K steps in and I started walking and now walk every day. I wanted more from the device and when the Force was released, got that unit and loved it till it died on me earlier this month. Back to the Flex and I wanted more info (i.e to see my steps etc) and yesterday I took advantage of a 25% off holiday coupon at Sports Authority and now have the Garmin Vivofit (with the HRM).

As far as accuracy goes, nothing really is. Its an estimate. Right now I'm wearing both the Flex and Garmin and trying to compare the steps/calories burned and so on. Fitbit syncs with MFP and I also get cash rewards and discounts with other websites using the Fitbit.

As far as losing weight...yes. From the info received from it, no, but that wasn't why I wanted the device. I know when I got the Flex I was close to losing 100 lbs and wanted the motivation I hoped to get from the device to get me off my butt and walk. It did that and as I said, haven't stopped yet. I also did the C25K program and would not have done that before getting the device. Your mileage may vary but for me, it was worth it.

There are a number of different trackers out there and each has its pros/cons. Am sure you can return it if you find it's not floating your boat. It's a tool like anything else, but just clipping one on or strapping it to your wrist isn't going to drop the pounds. The data you get from it is helpful, the calories burned, steps taken etc.

Right now with the Garmin Vivofit...I'm seeing a red line telling me I've been sitting on my butt for way too long and in order to make it disappear ...I've got to get up....so hopefully if you get one, it will motivate you like it did me and many of the other folks who posted a response here. I felt so lost when the Fitbit Force crapped out on me, and after going back to the Flex, I wanted more (I had noticed my step count decreased as I could not see my steps on the Flex like I could with the now recalled Force).

Gotta go...the red line is bugging me :) If you do go with a Fitbit product, there is a group here that's very helpful.

What is the purpose/benefit of having a fitbit? Is it accurate, and does it help? I'm considering, but it's a pricey purchase and I want to be sure before I buy. For those of you who have one, does it help you? Do you think you've lost weight from the information you've received from it?
  • xmusicloverr
    xmusicloverr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It is worth it's price? Why not just get a regular heart rate monitor?
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I like it because it helps me be more active.
    +1

It depends on your personality. I need something to motivate me, or I will sit at my computer all day and then come home and sit at it some more and only get up to eat.
    For me, it makes me move. If you're one of those people who can motivate yourself, then it's really not necessary.

You can always buy one from a reputable store and return it if you don't like it. I bought the Flex and returned it two weeks later to exchange for the One.

I agree with the above. It's very movitaing for me it helps me realize that I need to get off my butt and move I hit 12k most days and average 16-17k. I've had mine almost a yr now and with MFP and my Fitbit zip I have lost 56lbs the most I have ever been able too lost and keep going. I love making sure I get my steps in.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Eating correctly for your level of activity. Plain and simple.
    It helps with the activity side of the equation, improves MFP's estimate of non-exercise maintenance.
    From which you then eat less than.

The not so simple part.

It is going to underestimate any non-step based exercise, so you still have to enter that manually. Not too bad though.

You still have to pick a reasonable deficit on MFP. Not difficult, biggest is not best depending on where you are at.

You have to use the tool correctly, and meet your goals, not trying to cause the bigger is better fallacy.

I don't use it for any motivation at all. My workouts are getting done no matter what. And there has been no inspiring to walk more outside exercise. I'm sure that's very useful for many though.

@musiclover
    Regular HRM is ONLY for steady-state aerobic exercise. And is inflated and wrong tool for wearing daily, as the formulas for estimating calorie burn aren't intended for that.
    Besides which, I doubt many would like to wear a strap all day. Though I have for seeing what avgHR is all day, and peaks and valleys.
    And you won't find a decent HRM cheaper than a Fitbit Zip.
  • zenhiker2014
    zenhiker2014 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Eating correctly for your level of activity. Plain and simple.
    It helps with the activity side of the equation, improves MFP's estimate of non-exercise maintenance.

This.^ I set my activity level to lightly active on MFP. Then I sync my fitbit with MFP. On days when I don't move much, MFP knows it and subtracts from my calorie allowance. Likewise if I'm active according to my fitbit data, MFP will give me more calories while still keeping my planned deficit. So it's more accurate - and also highly motivating for me, since if I want to eat something extra I can earn the calories I need and see it reflected immediately.

I use the fitbit to monitor normal daily activity levels and simple walks. For actual workouts, especially non-step-based activity like cycling, I use an HRM. But the fitbit by itself was a big help with understanding my activity levels and managing my calories.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I like it because it helps me be more active. My goal is 10,000 steps/day. If it's the end of the day and I see I only have 8500, I call my dogs and go for a quick walk around the block.

Yes, this. It is a good reminder to keep active. Great motivator for me.
  • tamaraphilip
    tamaraphilip Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Annamarie, I was also concerned about the price and felt kind of guilty after buying my fitbit one! However, t turns out to be really useful for me, and love this purchase. I've set MFP to "sedentary" and have synced my fitbit with MFP so that anything I do, whether it's walking 100 steps, or walking 6000 steps, is factored into my calorie goal for the day. I work from home and once I got my fitbit one, was shocked at how few steps i could get in a day, just moving around my apartment--this has motivated me to get up and move more, even 5 minutes of walking up and down the hall every hour or so makes a difference. As other people have pointed out, fitbit one really is only good for step-based activities, though (but that's all I do). Good luck with your decision!
  • SandyRybak
    SandyRybak Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just got the Fitbit Flex for Mother's Day, and didn't even know what it was. Well, I have to say that I'm loving it. I was pretty sedentary before and not moving nearly enough. My kids obviously thought this would help ... but I don't think they realized just how much. I joined a few Fitbit groups on Facebook (Fitbit Friends, Fitbit Pals, Fitbit Fitness and Fitbit Motivation), and I'm finding everyone to be so motivational and encouraging. I can't believe the progress I have made in the last 2 weeks. I started out at maybe 3000 steps a day and I'm proud to say I've been averaging now 8000 steps a day. The last 3 days I done over 10,000 steps. You begin to push yourself. At the end of the day, when I see I'm at about 8000, I actually go on my treadmill to make the goal of 10K steps. I want to see my goal reached. It is so rewarding. And then you get cheered on by everyone else. It's really fun. Besides recording your steps, the Fitbit also records the miles you've walked, the calories you've burned, your intake and output of calories, and it even records the quality of sleep you get. I'm hoping the combination of getting more active and fit, and being more careful with what I eat, I will have good results. I think I sound like an ad for Fitbit ... but I'm really enjoying it. Good luck.