Protein shake WOMEN

Options
jsissom86
jsissom86 Posts: 47 Member
Hello - I am looking to buy a good protein shake powder but I was wanting your opinions of what brand/type.

I don't want one that's going to give me tons of muscle, just a lean meal replacement for women. Any tips?? Thanks!!

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    All protein powder is the same for both genders. Protein doesn't make you build muscle, but it does help repair them. In any case, it has nothing to do with your physical appearance and powders and shakes just help supplement protein into your diet. Any kind will do.
  • DaisyGrammy
    DaisyGrammy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hello - I am looking to buy a good protein shake powder but I was wanting your opinions of what brand/type.

I don't want one that's going to give me tons of muscle, just a lean meal replacement for women. Any tips?? Thanks!!

I love: NATURE'S BEST Isopure Dutch Chocolate(Low-Carb). It's super high protein and it tastes great just mixed with water. I have a queezy tummy in the morning so this shake is the perfect solution to get my protein and cals in for my morning meal!
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This fear that's been instilled in women that eating protein or doing any kind of exercise but cardio is going to make them look like a body builder is equal parts funny and tragic. Protein is an essential part of your diet, and powders are a good way to get some in.

I like Optimum Nutrition's mint chocolate. Almost too delicious.
  • jsissom86
    jsissom86 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!!! The huge body builder on the front and the word MUSCLE is huge beefed up letters is what made me think the powder had something else in it....I always make sure protein is in my diet but I just don't have time to sit and chew all this food!!!!!! I'm a lazy eater....thanks again!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    protein doesn't give you muscles

Hard work does.

If you want extra protien- drink a protein shake that just says "Whey protein"

there is no such thing as "women's protein" or men's protein.
  • Dol10
    Dol10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend and I drink Iso-100 Protein (comes in bunch of great flavors too). 100 Calories per scoop and about 22-25 protein. Though, it's really light, so not exactly a mean replacement.

TruTein (i think they recently changed their name) also has many great flavors and it's really filling. It's a combo protein, has whey, casein and egg proteins. Keeps you full longer imo.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

If only it was so simple that protein powder 'gave' people muscles....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

If only it was so simple that protein powder 'gave' people muscles....

indeed.

this whole dieting hard and working out for hours on end thing is EXHAUSTING!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Protein Whey Protein. I have it in chocolate and vanilla - I like it.
  • ThinkInOregon
    ThinkInOregon Posts: 283
    Options
    I am not a huge meat eater, so I try to drink 1 or 2 protein shakes a day. And it sucks further because I am allergic to chocolate and HATE strawberries, which limits my choices more. And I am texture-phobic, so prefer that they not be thick.

So the powder that I tend to prefer is the Syntrax brand. They are usually about 100 cal, zero or low carb and not sickeningly sweet. Usually 23 gms protein. Mix easy and so far has been decent except the Green Apple one I thought was disgusting.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I drink MusclePharm chocolate milk flavor. So does my husband. He still has more muscles than me. Something about him being a man, me being a woman, our hormones, and him working a lot harder than me probably has something to do with it.
  • Pritree
    Pritree Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I drink the chocolate Vega One shake - it's great with unsweetened almond milk. I like that it has greens - it just seems healthier. Only downside is it doesn't fill me up as a breakfast - only fills me up for a couple of hours. I was thinking of trying shakeology but it's so expensive - but I've heard it's a little more filling.
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I mix EAS complete protein vanilla in with my fruit smoothies (nutriblast). It adds a little extra creaminess, makes them more filling and it's about the only way I get even close to meeting my protein macros most days. If it matters, 150 calories/2 scoops with 25 g protein and 25% DV calcium.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!!! The huge body builder on the front and the word MUSCLE is huge beefed up letters is what made me think the powder had something else in it....I always make sure protein is in my diet but I just don't have time to sit and chew all this food!!!!!! I'm a lazy eater....thanks again!

That's only because their primary market is men trying to get more muscle. The only thing protein shakes do is increase your protein intake. That's it. Oh, and there's no special time of day of when you should take it (pre-workout, post-workout, etc.). If your protein intake is fine just by eating, there's no reason to take a protein shake.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I use Aria Women's Protein Power. it is whey and soy based.
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I use BodyFortress Whey Isolate during the day and Dymatize Elite Casein at night. The best protein is an egg white protein shake. 6 egg whites, 1 banana, 2tbsp of peanut butter AWESOME!
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I use Vega smoothie protein powder. I use it when I decide to make smoothies and I'm too lazy to actually chew my fruit haha
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I love Beverly International UMP in either chocolate or cookies and cream. I prefer a thick creamy shake tho, so if you don't like that...don't try it :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I wish my protein powder gave me muscles.

I use Designer Whey and GNC LEAN 25 - both have lots of flavor choices and no muscle people on the label.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    What else would be in it?