No motivation to exercise - how do you handle?

Options
So, today is day 73 for me (this time around). From the first day I've been extremely motivated to exercise which has been awesome for changing how I look and also helping to bump up my daily calorie goal. Today is the first day I just have zero motivation to do any type of exercise at all. I'm really nervous about this feeling because this is how I felt everyday for about the last 7 years - and how I gained weight slowly over time. How do you all handle days like this? Do you find they pass and you move on the next day? Do you push yourself to get your butt out and exercise even though you have no motivation?

Replies

• tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Unless it's a rest day, exercise anyway. When I'm lacking motivation and decide to NOT do my workout, I feel worse and even less motivated. When I'm lacking motivation and just do it, I end up feeling better, pleased with myself for doing it anyway, and more motivated because I've proven to myself that I can complete a work out without having to be chomping at the bit to get it done. Plus it reinforces exercise as a habit, which helps maintain the activity even on low motivation days.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I go anyway.

Wed is lift day- so I go lift.

it as absolutely nothing to do with how motivated I am.

Remove the emotion and go do the thing because that's the thing that needs doing.

Successful people are successful because they commit to the work regardless of how they are feeling that day. People who fall off the wagon "don't feel motivated" or don't have the energy.

Just go- you'll feel better.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    So, today is day 73 for me (this time around). From the first day I've been extremely motivated to exercise which has been awesome for changing how I look and also helping to bump up my daily calorie goal. Today is the first day I just have zero motivation to do any type of exercise at all. I'm really nervous about this feeling because this is how I felt everyday for about the last 7 years - and how I gained weight slowly over time. How do you all handle days like this? Do you find they pass and you move on the next day? Do you push yourself to get your butt out and exercise even though you have no motivation?

I'm confused by your post and not sure - Have you worked out 73 days in a row? If so, then YES, take a Rest day!!! I
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Motivation is overrated.

It is an emotion, which means that it's bound to change at some point. If you base your actions on an emotion that is bound to change, your actions are also bound to change.

Take "working out" out of the emotional space in your mind and put it into the practical space where "going to work" lives.

Like Nike says: Just do it.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yeah... have you been going 73 days straight with no rest days? If so, then this is your problem. You'll lose steam fast that way. Give your body a break and time to repair itself.
  • kapetrosky
    kapetrosky Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No, I take rest days. Wednesday's are not usually rest days for me. Today is just the first non-rest day where I've felt overwhelmingly unmotivated to do any type of exercise.
  • kapetrosky
    kapetrosky Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love the "remove the emotion." You're so right. I never thought of it that way. Thank you for the reply!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I get in funks where I am extremely motivated and I go 4-5 days a week. Then I will only go twice a week. I try not beat myself up about it. At the same time, I make it a point to not stop going all together. Like so many others, my life is crazy! I seem to run on autopilot and anything that rocks the balance throws me off for long periods of time. Last month I went to the ER for some stuff, and it's been 4 weeks since I have worked out more than 2 days a week at the gym. It's taken time, but I have found a few friends that go to the same gym I do, and I talked to them about where I'm at. They agreed to help push me. We have a plan for getting back and I know I will stick with it. It's just one foot in front of the other.
    Just keep going!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I see this quote

Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice.
    -Wayne Dyer
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    theres just no thinking about it.

if you follow a schedule, stick to it.

todays an "on" day?...get it done.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Preworkout
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Its human to have fears, I chuck it down to listening to my body and stop myself from awfulizing the situation, whenever I feel unmotivated to work out.
    I walk 10miles daily, but sometimes I miss a day or two.
    I know what you mean, I have slipped down the slippery slope before, and used to worry when I am not motivated to go for my walk, Nowadays, I reassure myself its not the thin wedge of the knife.
    Trust yourself. You have learnt from your past.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    No, I take rest days. Wednesday's are not usually rest days for me. Today is just the first non-rest day where I've felt overwhelmingly unmotivated to do any type of exercise.

If this is the first non-rest day in 73 days where you've felt like taking the day off, I'd take the day off. You didn't say how many rest days you take or how many days per week you're exercising, but you could be over training, or possibly coming down with something. I'd take the day off and see how you feel tomorrow. If you're sick tomorrow, take more time. If you're ready to exercise again, exercise. And if you're feeling lazy again for no apparent reason, then force yourself to get back into the routine. But one day in itself isn't going to make much difference one way or the other.
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Well I "Just Do it"
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Having an app with scheduled workouts and goals by day helps a lot. Treat it like it's part of your regular calendar. You do it long enough, and it's second nature.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    CHANGE occurs within... you either want it and make it happen... or you can feel guilty about it...once the day passes YOU will never get it back again... and as the saying goes you only regret the things you didn't do. conquer this feeling today... get up an ddo something... and tomorrow you will be a hero unto yourself.. you will have shown and proven to yourself that YOU are indeed the master and commander of the ship that youhave chosen to sail through life on. ohh look at me gittin all phiosphy and stuff.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I think that patterns yield intellectual/emotional change, not the other way around.

Do it three times every week for a couple months, even if you don't want too.

When the time has passed, you will want too.

You changed your opinion and emotion through action.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Motivation will only take you so far...nobody is motivated to do anything all of the time...if you let your motivation be your guide, it's going to be pretty hit or miss I would think.

Also, it is important to have rest days programmed into your routine...rest is just as important for your body as the exercise is. If you haven't been taking rest days I would strongly suggest planning those into your schedule.

Regardless of whether I'm motivated or not...****ty mood or good mood...and barring other circumstances out of my control that would prevent me from doing so, I:

Monday - 15 mile ride at lunch; weight training in the evening
    Tuesday - 15 mile ride at lunch
    Wednesday - REST (still go for a nice walk at lunch)
    Thursday - 15 mile ride at lunch; weight training in the evening
    Friday - 15 mile ride at lunch
    Saturday - 40 mile ride
    Sunday - REST

Sometimes I'm unmotivated to bathe...but I do it anyway...my fitness is no different.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I love the "remove the emotion." You're so right. I never thought of it that way. Thank you for the reply!

I never feel like doing the dishes. Ever.

But dishes have to be done.
    And I'm usually glad I did them when they're finally done and put away.

Especially since I have the means with which to eat again.

Working out is often the same for me.
    I often don't "feel" like it.

But after I'm done, I'm usually glad.
    Sometimes, those are my best workouts!

And then, after it's over...
    I GET TO EAT! WOOO!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    What about finding a workout that you love? Rowing or aqua zumba or something fun?