I need some help and advice on running

Options
Hello all, I am 20 pounds into my journey and I have about 8-10 to go (then may add some back with strength training). I got a new running tracker and turns out my old one was a little over a mile off.. I had no idea. I'm way worse of a runner than I thought! I'm kinda in a slump of what to do and how to train from this point. I have hit a plateau and maintained this weight for about 3 weeks now. I can run about a mile now, I used to be able to run 4 but I had surgery a while back (before the plateau) and was unable to train for a while. I just need help with running and these last few pounds. For reference, I weight 146lbs and am almost 5'10. My lowest weight was 142.3. (I am aware I am in the healthy range, but I want abs!)

The surgery was the removal of a large cyst in my stomach, I ran indoors in the winter and just recently started outside again.

Replies

• kid_amy
    kid_amy Posts: 10
    Options
    More info needed. I assume you run outdoors and not on a treadmill since you mentioned a running tracker? What did you have surgery for (back, knee??)
  • fchavez
    fchavez Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try sprinting. I usually do this once a week if time permits. I go to the local high school track sprint the straitaways and walk the curves for three miles (one mile is 4 laps). It takes about 45 mins. Good luck
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Try sprinting. I usually do this once a week if time permits. I go to the local high school track sprint the straitaways and walk the curves for three miles (one mile is 4 laps). It takes about 45 mins. Good luck

No, just no.
    She shouldn't sprint if she can't run more than a mile. Slow and steady is the way to build endurance. Always endurance first; speed will come later.
  • Reecey91
    Reecey91 Posts: 1
    Options
    Have you looked into doing Yoga to help with what I call " the girdle muscle". Find someone that really knows about Anatomy. Its low impact and a great workout. Also I found a treadmill that you can run intervals on which helped with my speed and you can go at your own pace choosing the amount of time you train. Slow and steady wins the race fast and hard causes injuries. Good luck and keep up the good work
  • kid_amy
    kid_amy Posts: 10
    Options
    I really hope you're just forgetting to add some of what you're eating to your diary on here. If not, you're not taking in nearly enough calories. If you want to see improvement in your running you need adequate energy.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    We are all worse runners than we think we should be. I'd recommend a Couch to 5k program and this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Uh, no. Not at all. Horrible advice.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I really hope you're just forgetting to add some of what you're eating to your diary on here. If not, you're not taking in nearly enough calories. If you want to see improvement in your running you need adequate energy.

I also agree with this. If you are tracking everything, you are seriously undereating. Fuel and train!
  • steephx0x
    steephx0x Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm not forgetting to add anything, the problem is I'm never hungry and I'm really picky and I have no idea what to eat. I've had blood work done and the only nutrient I was deficient in was vitamin D so I take a supplement for that.
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary and it seems like your daily intake is only in the 600s/700s??? Are you just not logging everything, or truly eating that low? That seems like starvation mode to me. I think with your age and activity level you could add about 1,000 calories a day to this amount ... just my .02. I'm currently losing weight on about 1600-ish calories/day, but you'd benefit from finding your ideal calorie intake using a calculator such as this one:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    I'm not forgetting to add anything, the problem is I'm never hungry and I'm really picky and I have no idea what to eat. I've had blood work done and the only nutrient I was deficient in was vitamin D so I take a supplement for that.

How'd you ever become overweight in the first place??
  • steephx0x
    steephx0x Posts: 47 Member
    Options

COLLEGE. Drinking mainly and slacking on workouts. That was in my first semester, I have cut waaaay back. Also I know it says my goal weight is 130, it's 135 now, I grew (and I am still growing)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and don't look healthy under 145, I know everybody is different though. But I can tell you that I'm losing a half pound to a pound a week at 1950 calories a day.

Here are some ideas for adding healthy calories:

Chicken with the skin
    Steak
    Cheese
    Whole eggs (including deviled eggs, egg salad)
    Full fat dairy (including cottage cheese, yogurt)
    Fruit
    Peanut butter or other nut butters
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Dried fruit (raisins, apricots, apples)
    Dark chocolate
    Salmon
    Add Chia seeds to salads or yogurt
    Olive oil
    Smoothies
    Granola/sports nutrition bars
    Whole grains or whole grain products (like brown rice, Quinoa, oatmeal)
    Beans and legumes
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

COLLEGE. Drinking mainly and slacking on workouts. That was in my first semester, I have cut waaaay back. Also I know it says my goal weight is 130, it's 135 now, I grew (and I am still growing)

Keep up with the workouts, and enjoy a cold beer. I have a lot of friends that swear by its recovery-aiding properties :)