If you ate whatever you wanted (within limit)?

Options

Replies

• cocoacurls
    Options
    I havent had pizza in 4-5 years or more. Mc Donalds anyways in 7 years and cookies in 2 years. I am paleo for 2 years. Do eat some chocolate (dark) here and there and if it is toooooo bad I can have a snickers. I eat potatoes and rice often. But I am 100% clean otherwise.

I mean... years ago I liked junk. I ate it.
    Now I dont like it, mainly because I dont eat it and realise how BETTER life is.

Why dont you just stop eating some crap? it will cure your crap ''cravings''. ANd you will survive it, not that hard.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely gain because whatever I "wanted" would be all the bad things that I usually don't have any self control for...cookies...cake...pizza.

Yep. Me too. Just add ice cream to your list. Can't forget the biggest calorie bang for my buck.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Meaning, if you ate your maintenance calories in junk food? You would maintain your weight... You would just probably feel like crap.

and look like crap too... bloating, acne,...

I eat what I want. No acne ever or bloating. *shrug* :ohwell:
  • WonderWoman_5
    WonderWoman_5 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want, stay in a deficit, lose weight, and feel fine. No "feelin' like crap" here.

1849-1_zps05bcd7bc.jpg

and the worst part is, ID DO IT AGAIN lol

40 ****ING NUGGETS! ****ING BEAST MODE! YOU INSPIRE ME.... waittttt that might be 20 nuggets either way MY HERO!
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I havent had pizza in 4-5 years or more. Mc Donalds anyways in 7 years and cookies in 2 years. I am paleo for 2 years. Do eat some chocolate (dark) here and there and if it is toooooo bad I can have a snickers. I eat potatoes and rice often. But I am 100% clean otherwise.

I mean... years ago I liked junk. I ate it.
    Now I dont like it, mainly because I dont eat it and realise how BETTER life is.

Why dont you just stop eating some crap? it will cure your crap ''cravings''. ANd you will survive it, not that hard.

Life is better with crap. Yum yum give me junk.

No pizza? My heart hurts.

-Signed,

The person who ate her second ice cream sandwich on her drive home from work while stuck in traffic.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    if you eat maintenance calories you will maintain...that's why they call them maintenance calories...it's not just a clever name. This is basic 5th grade math.
  • Jarahal
    Jarahal Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. I eat anything I want, within my deficit, and also being reasonable, I do eat healthy things but I dont deprive myself of the foods I like.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I eat kind of healthy. There are a good amount of fruits and veggies in my diet. I LIKE fruits and veggies so this isn't some great sacrifice or anything. I LIKE stir fried meat/seafood ( spices, garlic, oil and butter, thank you.) I don't like fast food. It tastes like baby food IMHO. I like my stuff to have peppers, garlic, real butter, and a lot of spices. I like my Mexican/Asian food to have some heat to it. That said, the "no white sugar" crowd would have a stroke if they saw my diet. Yep, I sure am fond of dessert, too. I just don't eat a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting :laugh:
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want, stay in a deficit, lose weight, and feel fine. No "feelin' like crap" here.
    x2

x3 (I had ice cream for breakfast, ssshhh)
    Lady of my own heart :love:
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I eat kind of healthy. There are a good amount of fruits and veggies in my diet. I LIKE fruits and veggies so this isn't some great sacrifice or anything. I LIKE stir fried meat/seafood ( spices, garlic, oil and butter, thank you.) I don't like fast food. It tastes like baby food IMHO. I like my stuff to have peppers, garlic, real butter, and a lot of spices. I like my Mexican/Asian food to have some heat to it. That said, the "no white sugar" crowd would have a stroke if they saw my diet. Yep, I sure am fond of dessert, too. I just don't eat a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting :laugh:
    Fast food tastes like baby food? HAHA hilarious, never heard that before.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely gain because whatever I "wanted" would be all the bad things that I usually don't have any self control for...cookies...cake...pizza.

Then that would not be without limit...

Yesterday I ate an oatmeal raisin cookie and half a chocolate frosted brownie after lunch. I had homemade margherita pizza for dinner, followed by pound cake trifle and wine. I was under my calories for the day, so therefore I was eating whatever I wanted within limit. I lost steadily for about a year, and have been maintaining for a couple of months now. In fact today I was down a half pound on the scale - not solely because of yesterday - but because I make a consistent effort to stay around my calorie goals on a week to week basis.

I think there are two keys to being successful on MFP. The ability to understand basic mathematics (which the site really does for you, so all you have to do is be committed to entering the numbers - MFP even does the adding and subtracting!) and the ability to understand the concept of moderation.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If I ate whatever I wanted I would gain.

I didn't gain 60lbs by eating what I didn't want ;)

It isn't the choice of food that is so hard for me (although I do make better choices now) but the amount of food I want.

Spaghetti isn't bad. It is one of my favorite meals and I fix it regularly. I don't want one cup though. Hell no. I want at least 5 cups but I can not eat 5 cups because I am 44yo and sit on my *kitten* all day long :P It worked for me when I was 30 but not now.

The hardest part of my journey is feeling deprived. Not because I limit food because I haven't eliminated anything and not because I'm hungry because I'm really not now that I have increased my calories. It is because I have to stop eating when I still want more. Wah wah. First word problem right there. It's shameful but it's the truth.
  • JakeNJ95
    JakeNJ95 Posts: 54
    Options
    Life is too damn short to deny yourself constantly. I am young to say that, but that is how I want to live.
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If "within limit" means within my set calorie limit... I would lose weight, like I've been doing.

If "within limit" means something else, I need to know what that is in order to properly answer the question.
  • perfect_health
    perfect_health Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Prior to still slowly recovering from a eating disorder, I can admit that the best feeling every is being able to eat chocolate, ice cream etc
    Obviously you have to eat healthily as well, but don't feel guilty treating yourself!
    life is too short
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    So far maintenance changed from day to day for me.

Some days, for example, it is more calories than I even know how to eat now! Like, for instance, a Tuesday where all I do it work out when I wake up, go to work, come home, make dinner, watch TV and go to bed. Eating 1600 calories is hard, nearly impossible. by the end of the day I' breaking out the rolls and butter trying to get there.

Some days, lets say a Saturday out on the town with my fiance, it is very hard. If we eat bacon and eggs for breakfast then mexican food for lunch then seafood for dinner with dessert. I can't eat everything I want even within reason on those days or I would be WAAY over. I have to find places to cut off the calories, whether it be splitting a dessert instead of getting my own or skipping chips at Mexican food.

So it depends. I have come to terms with the fact that in order to maintain my weight loss I will have to pay attention for the rest of time lol. It doesn't bother me too much though, because most days staying within my limit is very doable.
  • wampahoofus
    wampahoofus Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would be huge. I love beer, pasteries, chips, doritos. I also love cheeseburgers, any soup that has the work "bisque" in the name, french fries, chicken wings, pizza, pie..... shall I go on? :wink:
  • synchrohobbit
    synchrohobbit Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If I ate whatever I wanted I would gain.

I didn't gain 60lbs by eating what I didn't want ;)

It isn't the choice of food that is so hard for me (although I do make better choices now) but the amount of food I want.

Spaghetti isn't bad. It is one of my favorite meals and I fix it regularly. I don't want one cup though. Hell no. I want at least 5 cups but I can not eat 5 cups because I am 44yo and sit on my *kitten* all day long :P It worked for me when I was 30 but not now.

The hardest part of my journey is feeling deprived. Not because I limit food because I haven't eliminated anything and not because I'm hungry because I'm really not now that I have increased my calories. It is because I have to stop eating when I still want more. Wah wah. First word problem right there. It's shameful but it's the truth.

I think this is really what the OP is asking: if you didn't think at all about food or weight or exercise, would your body be satisfied by what you are feeding it (in terms of types and portion) or would you want more and/or less healthy foods?
  • Acliff510
    Acliff510 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do eat whatever I want within limits and I'm loosing.

My limits are a calorie goal based on a small deficit.

Before, as I got fat I was eating whatever I wanted without that limit.

I'd have to agree with this. I don't live off of grilled chicken, ground turkey, and salad and I still lose weight.

Just an Example: Instead of eating 85% fat beef cheeseburger on a bun I'll grill a 90% lean beef patty, maybe skip the cheese (depending on how my limits are looking) and eat it on a flat whole wheat bun (typically 90 calories) instead. Or sometimes skip the bun and just have it with a garden salad.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Depends...but at any given moment, you would maintain if "within limit" or whatever means maintenance. The issue becomes lean body mass loss which still could come in to play. But since this is a totally theoretically hypothetical question it's all a moot point. But to make a long story short it is indeed about calories but if your calories are made up of fats and carbs you're not going to maintain lean body mass, then that also depends on a factor of working out/how much stimulus you give the muscle tissue to maintain as much as possible. Then you have thermic effect/thermogenesis as well, etc.