When to eat Dinner?

Options
Hi guys,

whens the best time to eat dinner? i normally finish work around 5pm then have training at 6.30pm and finish training up around 8.30pm and takes me about 20 mins to get home

I find i'm not as hungry when i get home and Is it too late to eat dinner ( i normally have fish, greens or sometimes mashed sweet potato) around this time or is it better to eat dinner before i head into training and just have a protein shake after my training sessions?!

Replies

• fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't like working out on a full stomach. A protein shake is tough to beat after a workout for max absorption, so I try to do that as much as possible. Do you have smaller meals throughout the day? That might work out really well for you. That way, no need for a traditional dinner so late.
  • nk1201
    nk1201 Posts: 26
    Options
    Personally, I don't like working out on a full stomach. A protein shake is tough to beat after a workout for max absorption, so I try to do that as much as possible. Do you have smaller meals throughout the day? That might work out really well for you. That way, no need for a traditional dinner so late.

I've found with myself it depends what sort of training i do i can go without eating or sometimes i start to feel too dizzy that i haven't eating! so i get confused on when i should and shouldnt be eating and if i am getting enough carbs for fuel

I normally eat 5-6 meals day

Breakfast - Overnight Oats
    Snack 1 - Cottage Cheese and Vita wheat biscuits or fruit
    Lunch - Fish and Salad or brown rice
    Snack 2 - 2 Corn Crackers with natural peanut butter spread
    Snack 3 sometimes around 5-5.30pm i have a banana
    then have dinner around 9
  • TheIrish1981
    TheIrish1981 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist told me that I should track my calories in a 24 hour period and she said that the time that I decide to eat is irrelevant as long as I run a cal. deficit
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Are you unhappy with your current eating schedule? Your current dinner time seems fine if it works for you.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Are you unhappy with your current eating schedule? Your current dinner time seems fine if it works for you.

^
  • koogabah
    koogabah Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. Eat whenever is best for you.
  • RobertHButler
    Options
    I take my meds at 6am and 6pm and need to wait an hour before eating; so I take my meds at 6 and cook dinner and serve at 7pm.
  • chargraves
    chargraves Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist told me that I should track my calories in a 24 hour period and she said that the time that I decide to eat is irrelevant as long as I run a cal. deficit

This!! I usually eat dinner sometime bettween 8:30pm - 11:00 pm every night and it has not hindered my weight loss.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    whenever dinner is ready...we eat.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    DINNERTIME! Final answer!
  • zoya_chicks
    zoya_chicks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would usually say that it would be best to have dinner around 5 pm, it is always best to have dinner as early as possible and to not eat later than 3 hours before bed. In my opinion since you are not hungry when you get home after work, it would probably be best to have 6 small snacks throughout the day instead of 3 big meals.
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Whenever you have time and are hungry. It doesn't matter WHEN you eat. I waitress so when I work during dinner sometimes I don't get to eat until 9 or 10pm. But it fits in my day that way so its fine.
  • nk1201
    nk1201 Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your replies!