Don't give up on the sweet potato!

Options
First I had it as a baked potato.....couldn't stand the texture.

Then I had it as mashed potatoes.....a little better but too mushy.

But now, the sweet potato fry! The texture is fantastic and the flavor is so wonderful you can eat them alone, you don't need a dipping sauce or salt. Just cut up a sweet potato and bake it in the oven.

I regret to say I don't have a magic recipe for you or anything like that, it is really going to depend on how thick or thin you like them and how crunchy. However, my recommendation would be:

Cut potato into french fries that are approximately 1/4 inch thick.
Spread out on to an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25-40 min depending on how crispy you want them.
I also usually flip them 1/2 way through cooking.

I'm very glad I didn't give up on the sweet potato!

Replies

• VikkiLynn
    Options
    That sounds great because I love sweet potatoes! Thanks for posting that! :)
  • thisis4me
    thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I was just asking others how they prepared sweet potatoe fries......Thnx for sharing:)
  • AmyJopp
    AmyJopp Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks I eat sweet potatoes everyday almost.....Im going to try them like this!! I usually grill them on a george forman but I need a change!!! Greatly appreciated!!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    LOVE THEM! I have a sweet potato in some form almost EVERY day.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I just picked up a french fry cutter at the store, makes it much easier to cut! I too just cut 'em up and bake 'em plain at 350 for 30 minutes or so, yummy :P
  • janet6567
    janet6567 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I love a baked sweet potato with just a little butter and about a tablespoon of real maple syrup!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    I heard sweet potato fries are good and I have had them in resturants and they were good. But I have never had them at home in the oven. I also heard they are good in the oven under the broiler with olive oil. I will have to try them with my next batch of sweet potatoes.

Now that this is the season for sweet potato, I keep baked sweet potatoes in my freezer and take them out to thaw in a day and warm up when I get home and have a little whipped butter on them. Yummy!! I hardly ever eat white potatoes any more. Only when I am out or have a real taste for them.
  • mariabrophy
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes. They are easy- I like them baked, too.
  • murasakiookami
    Options
    I go on and off sweet potato, mainly because of the taste. The other night i found a way to alter the flavour when mashing them, just add a little lemon juice instead of milk (I also used a small amount of olive oil spread). It was super tasty, just wish I could eat more of it but I'm trying to stick to a low GI diet so can only have a little at a time.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    This may sound crazy... but today I made BUTTERNUT SQUASH fries... they were THE BOMB! I love sweet potatoes but my hubs hates them... this allowed me to change it up and I swear they are so good!!!

Very easy to make as well... take a butternut squash, cut both ends off, peel, cut in half, scoop out the seeds, then cut into french fry sized pieces... spray with a little olive oil cooking spray and a pinch of salt for taste... bake until done to your taste. You can also put some garlic, cumin, chili powder... or go the other direction and sprinkle with splenda brown sugar blend and some cinnamon.

They were less sweet than a sweet potato, but more so than a regular potato... surprisingly they were incredible!

Sorry to highjack- but I never thought of this as an option until I tried it... and this was my first time ever eating a butternut squash. In season now too. :)

**Edit- To make it easier to peel, put the whole squash in a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes... then remove it and let it cool. Peel with a vegetable peeler and proceed as above... boiling it makes it 10 times easier to get the peeling removed.***
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I agree with the baked sweet potato... I just can't do it.... :sick:
  • SuzMcH
    SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    i love sweet potato in any form.

try making fries with parsnip too. And if you roast them tossed in a little olive oil and a teasoon of honey. Oh my, yum.
  • cbevan
    cbevan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love mine cut up into chunks, tossed with a little olive oil and salt, and then roasted at about 450* for 30 - 35 minutes.

I actually love all sorts of veggies this way. I often make a mix out of carrots, onions, sweets, parsnips, turnips, butternuts, acorn squashes, brussels sprouts, new potatoes - whatever I have in the fridge. Really intensifies the natural deliciousness of the veggies.