Question for any weight lifter

Hello everyone-

Just got my weight bench in the mail and am pumped up to use it!

Quick question. I am not trying to gain mass so much a loose arm fat and gain lean muscle.

Therefore, my plan is to lift a low amount of weight to failure (sets of 30 or so, or whatever I can go till).

Is this the right course of action? Thanks!

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Hello everyone-

Quick question. I am not trying to gain mass so much a loose arm fat and gain lean muscle.

Therefore, my plan is to lift a low amount of weight to failure (sets of 30 or so, or whatever I can go till).

You won't gain mass if eating at a deficit. You'll likely see faster, more noticeable results with higher weight, lower reps.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    You won't build bulk up by accident, or by lifting heavy weights. It takes time and lots of extra calories. For a lean look, you can do 5 sets of 5 reps of heavy weights for various arm/shoulder/chest exercises. Doing all those reps is actually excessive and you can get the same or better results by lifting at low reps and heavier weights. Along with a good diet eating at maintenance or even a small deficit, you'll get the results you're aiming for.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    No.....light lifting just takes longer!

Lift 8-10 reps and do 4-5 sets of each exercise (and rest a day in between). It will get your metabolism going and that helps with weight loss. You CAN gain muscle and lose fat at the same time if you are a beginner with some fat to lose. You can't if you are a seasoned lifter.

But even if you don't gain muscle, you can look more toned and you will fire up your metabolism by lifting heavy.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Hello everyone-

Not trying to gain mass but wanting to gain lean muscle? Can you explain what you mean by this. You seem to be a little confused

Muscles - can get bigger, get smaller or stay the same size (they can also get stronger without necessarily getting bigger)
    Fat - you can lose it, gain it or maintain a constant amount

I'm guessing you want to lose fat and either put on some muslce or maintain the amount you have. Which is it?
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Heavier weights, low rep. Follow a program like Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5 etc. Eat at maintenance or at a very slight deficit.
  • James9090
    James9090 Posts: 26 Member

I'm guessing you want to lose fat and either put on some muslce or maintain the amount you have. Which is it?

I am trying to burn fat as quickly as possible and maintain my current amount. Hopefully that makes sense.
  • tombetlej
    tombetlej Posts: 61 Member
    Sets of 30 or more reps are kind of in the silly range.
    Like what the other folks said you won't 'gain mass' accidentally.
    If you really new to strength training I would highly recommend this blog post over at Nerd Fitness

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/02/28/strength-training-101/
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    I think so :) lower weight more reps....well that would tone your arms.I think it depends on the workout your doing.I know swimming is good for lean muscles.My sister got bulky 15 inch biceps and started swimming to get longer lean muscles.
  • James9090
    Ok, I think what you are saying here is that:

extra calories above BMI + lifting = gaining muscle mass

calories below BMI + lifting = lean look?

You won't build bulk up by accident, or by lifting heavy weights. It takes time and lots of extra calories. For a lean look, you can do 5 sets of 5 reps of heavy weights for various arm/shoulder/chest exercises. Doing all those reps is actually excessive and you can get the same or better results by lifting at low reps and heavier weights. Along with a good diet eating at maintenance or even a small deficit, you'll get the results you're aiming for.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member

What the gorgeous blonde said! Keep your reps between 8-12 reps, this is the hypotraphy rep range, 6'reps and lower is for strength gains. Get yourself some dumbbells too
  • JustYandy
    I think most people are not reading your post ...your not wanting to gain mass Right? So why is there advice on lower rep heavy weight????:huh:
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    I think so :) lower weight more reps....well that would tone your arms.I think it depends on the workout your doing.I know swimming is good for lean muscles.My sister got bulky 15 inch biceps and started swimming to get longer lean muscles.
    no no no no no.
  • James9090
    Yes! That's what I am trying avoid is huge biceps and whatnot. If you ever saw the actor Aaron Eckart that is what I am talking about. Ripped but not bulky.
  • JustYandy
    When I got a personal trainer she had me do 12 reps- 20 reps 3 sets depending on what I was doing.I told her I didn't want to gain muscle but to tone what I already have...she told me if I could do 3 sets up 20 up the weight.I did alot of things like Blurpees ect..not sure if that helps
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    I think most people are not reading your post ...your not wanting to gain mass Right? So why is there advice on lower rep heavy weight????:huh:
    8 reps or less for strength, 8-12 for size.
  • James9090

Hah. That's what I was wondering also. In high school we were taught that high reps low weight builds lean muscle while low reps high weight puts on mass.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    I'm not saying this isn't true, but. . . she'd be the first person ever - male or female - to bulk on a deficit, and women have less natural propensity to bulk than men do, thanks to lower testosterone.
  • JustYandy
    lowering body fat will look ripped and not bulky....Cardio with a mix of light weights,planking,blurpees,use your own body weight alot type workouts
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Yes! That's what I am trying avoid is huge biceps and whatnot. If you ever saw the actor Aaron Eckart that is what I am talking about. Ripped but not bulky.

What about the shirtless guy who posted right above this post? His body looks pretty similar to the pic I saw when I looked up Aaron Eckhart. Maybe you could check with him to see what he did to get a body like that.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member

lol bulky....