Question for any weight lifter

Options
2»

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I think most people are not reading your post ...your not wanting to gain mass Right? So why is there advice on lower rep heavy weight????:huh:

Hah. That's what I was wondering also. In high school we were taught that high reps low weight builds lean muscle while low reps high weight puts on mass.

In that case, maybe you should ask your gym teacher from high school what to do then. :grumble: :laugh:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    You won't build bulk up by accident, or by lifting heavy weights. It takes time and lots of extra calories. For a lean look, you can do 5 sets of 5 reps of heavy weights for various arm/shoulder/chest exercises. Doing all those reps is actually excessive and you can get the same or better results by lifting at low reps and heavier weights. Along with a good diet eating at maintenance or even a small deficit, you'll get the results you're aiming for.

What the gorgeous blonde said! Keep your reps between 8-12 reps, this is the hypotraphy rep range, 6'reps and lower is for strength gains. Get yourself some dumbbells too

Yup.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I think most people are not reading your post ...your not wanting to gain mass Right? So why is there advice on lower rep heavy weight????:huh:

Hah. That's what I was wondering also. In high school we were taught that high reps low weight builds lean muscle while low reps high weight puts on mass.

What? Really? They told you that? All resistance training puts on muscle! All muscle is lean! Putting on "mass" or being "ripped" has more to do with your diet...
  • caesar164
    Options
    Yes! That's what I am trying avoid is huge biceps and whatnot. If you ever saw the actor Aaron Eckart that is what I am talking about. Ripped but not bulky.
    Not for nothing dude, but I doubt you could get big biceps even if you wanted to! You have to have the right genetics for that. A 35 year old man who has never trained before, doubt your going to get huge....its not that simple, you have to put a ton of work in. I know for a fact that your not up to for what it takes... So train as hard as you can, and I guarantee your muscles will never get as big as you think they may. You will be pleasantly disappointed, since you never wanted big muscles anyway...
  • James9090
    James9090 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am 6 ft 5 300 pounds. I have pretty big biceps already, probably bigger than you.
  • James9090
    Options
    I am betting cardio more than anything. That is what I have been doing mostly anyways with good results. Maybe I shouldn't even lift for goals are just to speed up metabolism.
    Yes! That's what I am trying avoid is huge biceps and whatnot. If you ever saw the actor Aaron Eckart that is what I am talking about. Ripped but not bulky.
    I think so :) lower weight more reps....well that would tone your arms.I think it depends on the workout your doing.I know swimming is good for lean muscles.My sister got bulky 15 inch biceps and started swimming to get longer lean muscles.

What about the shirtless guy who posted right above this post? His body looks pretty similar to the pic I saw when I looked up Aaron Eckhart. Maybe you could check with him to see what he did to get a body like that.
  • caesar164
    Options
    I am 6 ft 5 300 pounds. I have pretty big biceps already, probably bigger than you.
    Yeah, fat don't count..,but you are a big dude , lol...
  • James9090
    Options
    I am a mason labor for a living, lift block and stone all day. Not really fat man. Thus the question in the thread. Once again, don't want to gain mass but no one has really answered the question. Maybe I'll just keep up the cardio. Peace.
  • caesar164
    Options
    I am a mason labor for a living, lift block and stone all day. Not really fat man. Thus the question in the thread. Once again, don't want to gain mass but no one has really answered the question. Maybe I'll just keep up the cardio. Peace.
    OK brother, my bad for assuming! So you probably have a solid foundation. You don't have to lift so much if you don't want to... You could do 3 cardio sessions a week, and lift two days a week. I would lift moderate weight in the 12-15 rep range, just to get some muscle stimulation. But the main factor lies in your diet! Eat at a defecit so you can get leaner. With time and consistency you will be able to get where you want to be. Good luck.
  • LifterDave
    LifterDave Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone-

Just got my weight bench in the mail and am pumped up to use it!

Quick question. I am not trying to gain mass so much a loose arm fat and gain lean muscle.

Therefore, my plan is to lift a low amount of weight to failure (sets of 30 or so, or whatever I can go till).

Is this the right course of action? Thanks!
    Set of high reps are going to put you in the range for gaining mass from hypertrophy. Reps in this range are not going to give you so much strength as it will muscular endurance. So based on your question, I do not think this is the right course of action. My recommendation would be to simplify your decision making. Asking for advice on MFP will yield you a ton of different answers and opinions. Some of which may me good, some not so good as there are a ton of newbies to strength training who are following some internet lifting guru and think that after a few months of lifting and strong newbie gains that they know everything there is to know and will try to project their goals upon you. If you have read enough of these sites you can begin to tell who these folks follow by what they repeat. Some of it is indeed good info, but you might be better served by going to sites where there are multiple authors submitting articles and decide for yourself the route you want to take. Bodybuilding.com and MuscleandStrength.com have a lot of good info once you get past their adds trying to sell you supplements. There are a ton of other good sites out there which will give you good info, but these provide info on body building, power lifting, nutrition and a whole slew of other useful information.

The folks on MFP all have great intentions and are eager to help. But it can become too much trying to filter the good from the bad when you have 50 different answers to one question which can make it confusing for some.
  • James9090
    Options
    Right on. Yeah, I realize that posting this type of question is like opening up Pandora's box, but I was basically just trying to find out that if lifting is even worth it if I am only trying to burn fat. From what I have read it helps to speed up the metabolism far after the actually exercise has been completed. I guess the goal is to work as smart as possible. The same as regulating the diet. Thanks for those site recommendations much appreciated.
    Hello everyone-

Just got my weight bench in the mail and am pumped up to use it!

Quick question. I am not trying to gain mass so much a loose arm fat and gain lean muscle.

Therefore, my plan is to lift a low amount of weight to failure (sets of 30 or so, or whatever I can go till).

Is this the right course of action? Thanks!
    Set of high reps are going to put you in the range for gaining mass from hypertrophy. Reps in this range are not going to give you so much strength as it will muscular endurance. So based on your question, I do not think this is the right course of action. My recommendation would be to simplify your decision making. Asking for advice on MFP will yield you a ton of different answers and opinions. Some of which may me good, some not so good as there are a ton of newbies to strength training who are following some internet lifting guru and think that after a few months of lifting and strong newbie gains that they know everything there is to know and will try to project their goals upon you. If you have read enough of these sites you can begin to tell who these folks follow by what they repeat. Some of it is indeed good info, but you might be better served by going to sites where there are multiple authors submitting articles and decide for yourself the route you want to take. Bodybuilding.com and MuscleandStrength.com have a lot of good info once you get past their adds trying to sell you supplements. There are a ton of other good sites out there which will give you good info, but these provide info on body building, power lifting, nutrition and a whole slew of other useful information.

The folks on MFP all have great intentions and are eager to help. But it can become too much trying to filter the good from the bad when you have 50 different answers to one question which can make it confusing for some.
  • HFreymuth
    HFreymuth Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ask a trainer. I'm trying to shred fat and build some muscle. I do cardio one day 70-90 minutes and then resistance training the next. He has me doing 20 reps x 2 sets but some of the machines and bands are the same. So some of the muscle groups I do 100 reps. This is a super individual thing which is why I suggest a trainer. I only see mine every 1-2 weeks since it's expensive. He just walks me through the new routine. FYI - I go to Gold's Gym.
  • caesar164
    Options
    I have over 20 years lifting experience... Just in case...
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The real purpose of lifting while cutting is to maintain your muscle. So if you're serious about losing weight and still being able to pick up heavy things all day, lift heavy, do lots of cardio and hit your macros.

Just so you know, "toning" is a myth. Your cant target body fat loss. You're either cutting bulking or maintaining. If you want to "tone" then you really want to loose body fat and maintain muscle. To do this you'll need to lift heavy, do lots of cardio and hit your macros.