Suggestions for...

Options
Ok so I live on the third floor of an apartment. Even walking around makes the noise resonate through the floor and if you're running/jumping, you can feel the place shake.

Any suggestions on workouts that I can do that would avoid these things, as I don't particularly want to piss off my downstairs neighbors (even though I hate them haha).

I have the 30 day shred DVD but from what I have seen there's a fair amount of jumping/running etc.

Replies

• Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Have you tried getting some rubber mats to lay down? Even the block ones that kids have in their playrooms? Might help and add some cushion for you? Might have to put a layer or two down to really help. But worth a try. Cause unfortunatly getting the heart rate up can lead to some noise. LOL
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It may not hurt to introduce yourself to the neighbor downstairs and let them know what you are doing and when. Maybe they'll be cool with it since it's only 30 minutes and it's exercise.

Katie
  • gaycompton
    Options
    What about getting a stationary bike? They don't take up much room and you can adjust the tension on them.
  • angelapuckett
    Options
    I would go knock on their door and let them know what your plan is and ask when a good time would be, maybe there's a time when they're not home or wouldn't mind the extra noise especially if they know it's only for a certain amount of time (30 minutes). And let them know if it's too much, to just let you know and you'll do your best to quiet it down. ;-) A little consideration goes a long way!! It's sweet of you to even think of them before starting. Good Luck!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    What about getting a stationary bike? They don't take up much room and you can adjust the tension on them.

I second this! Or an elliptical. I used to live on the 3rd floor and my working out really bothered the downstairs people, as they had a newborn baby that slept a lot. I apparently kept waking it up. Oops!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Oh I know the neighbors downstairs lol. We actually used to be 'friends' but then they complained that my husband let the dryer run past 11 pm. yet it's ok for them to have parties on weekends...yeah ok. Anyway, that's another story.

I will see about getting some mats. I am home all day with the kids before I work at night, but the guy comes home from his job relatively early (like 1 pm) so I'd have to squeeze in my workout pretty early. It's doable though, just gotta actually do it!!!
  • angelapuckett
    Options
    I bought my child's mats at Home Depot for $15, there were 4 in a pack and each is like 2ft x 2ft. :wink:
  • poisongirl6485
    Options
    I should also add that I really have ZERO extra space for any exercise equipment. I literally have NO place to put anything, which is why my only option is to do workout DVDs.

I'm wondering if yoga/pilates would be worth trying or if that would even be beneficial to burn calories, etc.
  • jhines6927
    jhines6927 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know
  • penguinfan03
    penguinfan03 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga!! You can customize the workouts to be long/short, easy/hard, and it's very quiet :) I do it in the mornings before the rest of my family gets up because it doesn't wake them and I get some me time.
  • poisongirl6485
    Options
    Ohhhh I will look into the Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga, thank you!
  • poisongirl6485
    Options
    Ok I just downloaded Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown, and Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga is almost done. Yay! I'm excited to get started.

I guess if I really want to do more cardio aside from this I can try to use my work's gym on my breaks or something. They even have a freakin Wii with WiiFit!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Hello this is a easy one,yoga for indoors and walking for a start outdoors or even climbing those stairs lots!
  • poisongirl6485
    Options
    yeah not dragging my 3 year old and 6 month old out in sub-freezing temps to walk.